1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We'LL be ranked tomorrow, right?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buff fanatic, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Buff fanatic

Buff fanatic Well-Known Member

If not, **** everybody.

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

**** everybody no matter what

3. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

No, not enough teams lost in front of us, but we should be one of the top receiving votes.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

If CU isn't ranked but 3-3 Ole Miss still is, I'll go ballistic.

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

kill them all man

6. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

Rankings schmankings ... who gives a ****?!? Just take care of business, one game at a time. And then smile like the Cheshire Cat when we go to the Pac 12 CCG. Not saying we'll win that just yet ... but we'll cross that bridge etc. etc. ....

7. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

I believe we are #29 at CBS Sports http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/cbs/128
    AP has us in the "others getting votes"
    Others receiving votes: Georgia 59, Arizona State 53, North Carolina 51, LSU 50, Oklahoma State 48, North Dakota State 36, Stanford 26, Colorado 22, South Florida 20, TCU 14, Washington State 9, NC State 9, Iowa 3, Air Force 2, San Diego State 2, Wake Forest 1

8. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

We didn't have much go our way today. #17 VT should be gone. Georgia was 26th and lost. #16 Miami losing to UNC doesn't do much since UNC was ahead of us in receiving votes.

As Nik has mentioned, #12 Ole Miss has NO business being ranked at 3-3.

Unless voters wake up and realize we're good and leapfrog us over a bunch of teams (including those with less impressive victories today), we'll fall short.

9. Buffnik

I sort of hope Stanford gets ranked but CU doesn't. Put a big damn chip on their shoulders.

L Buff likes this.
  10. AlferdJasper

AP has Ole Miss at #12. CBS Sports has Ole Miss at #15.
    [​IMG]

BuffNut99 likes this.
  11. CVilleBuff

Not updated yet. They'll plummet....to like 21.

Alfred91 likes this.
  12. CVilleBuff

Wouldn't mind it, as criminal as it would be. Did Stanford score on offense?

Shaw on McCaffrey vs CU: "McCaffrey wasn't close to be ready to play. Now, there's a good shot next week. There's a chance next week. Just couldn't go today,"

13. AlferdJasper

Ah yes, the page said Oct. 16, 2016 but the poll isn't updated. I thought they were awfully efficient. I was wrong.

14. Buff fanatic

Meh. I care.

15. CULifer

CULifer Well-Known Member

I don't mind us not being ranked at this point in the season. Like MM said, ASU is the first team with a winning record that we beat. I like where we are at right now. Just outside the top 25, and and needing to earn it against Stanford, WSU, UCLA and Utah. Would like our best ranking to be at the end of the season when MM has us peaking (all of this optimally speaking, for sure).
    Would relish a romp with the Fuskers to cap off the season. JMFL's D smearing black and gold all over their sh**ty jerseys would be so nice.

Burrito Palazzo, bombay and L Buff like this.
  16. CVilleBuff

For a program that's been in the dark and continues to get minimal exposure, we should absolutely want to be ranked.

No, it's not worth losing sleep over, but it's also worth being a bit pissed when a 3-3 SEC team might still be ranked at our expense.

CULifer likes this.
  17. L Buff

Great post!! (y)

18. CULifer

CULifer Well-Known Member

Good point, we could use some exposure.

19. Buff fanatic

In the coaches poll, I'm told ASU lost.

20. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

The stink of the last 10 years lingers in the minds of the football world.
    Gotta beat a ranked team to belong.

The good news is that CU made all four Game Day hosts look smart. They appreciate CU holding up their pick.

21. jkppkjjkp

jkppkjjkp Well-Known Member

The SEC bias is BS, but in this case I think Ole Miss is an acceptable if not completely understandable choice over CU.

I think it's a toss up to pick us or them at this point, but polls are entrenched in inertia, so they benefit from starting out ranked, and having only lost to ranked teams (#1, #4, #22 on the day of their games)

Let's line up our games against one another.
    1. Throw out the Wofford win for Ole Miss and our win over Idaho State, meaningless games.
    2. Compare our thrashing of CSU to their 20 point win over Memphis; pretty much a wash.
    3. "Best" losses, them, at home by 5 to Bama; us, on the road by 17 to Michigan; slight lean to them, but not enough to say much about.
    4. Loss #2, them, pseudo-neutral/road to Fla. St; us by 3 on the road against USC; if you're saying Ole Miss is horrible for their record, than the same goes for USC, so either it's a wash and we don't punish Ole Miss too much for 3 losses, or it's in their favor.
    5. Now the matchup is tough, I put their 4 point loss on the road to Arkansas against our whooping of Oregon State at home. Slight lean for us here.
    6. Their best win is a 31 point dismantling of then #12 Georgia.... doesn't look so awesome today, but still a quality win. Our two big wins are a squeaker at Oregon (not so impressive based on Oregon's direction) and our whooping of ASU today.

On the whole I see a good argument for us, but it's not ridiculous to argue their side; especially if you buy into the ranking at game time mattering for their matchups with Georgia and Fla. State in particular.

22. Buffnik

In other words, they were well regarded before the season and have beaten Wofford, Georgia and Memphis.

3-3 while the Buffs are 5-2. The 2 losses? Leading at Michigan in the 3rd quarter when starting QB went down and lost by 4 at USC with the backup QB starting. I don't think it's even close.

Darth Snow likes this.
  23. L Buff

Again ... why pre-season polls should have absolutely no meaning in rankings once the actual season is going on, especially now that we're 7 weeks into the season. But they do, at least as concerns public perceptions.

Supposedly the "committee" gives absolutely no weight to the AP or coaches polls when it starts its deliberations in early November ... and yet I find it difficult to believe that certain members of the committee from, shall we say, south of the Mason-Dixon line, don't try very hard to exaggerate the importance of those polls regardless of their utter inaccuracy and regional and network biases (looking at you E$ECPN) in order to make their conferences look better and thus obtain higher rankings.

While it won't effect us directly this year (we're not competing for the NC quite yet) the final rankings could certainly effect the public perception of our program, and of course recruiting. And the slimy residue from pre-season rankings that gives short shrift to programs like ours as the season wears on versus the undeserved respect that programs like FSU and almost any S$C team that doesn't absolutely suck pisses me off to no end.

24. jkppkjjkp

jkppkjjkp Well-Known Member

That bit about Michigan just doesn't make it to any sort of national narrative, probably not even regionally for the most part. By comparison, I don't think more than 1% of CU fans have any idea what if any meaningful injuries Ole Miss has had to deal with so far.

It's easier to say that Ole Miss almost beat #1 Bama, almost beat #4 FSU in Florida, and almost beat #22 Arkansas in Arkansas.

Beating then #12 Georgia by a ton means something to people, a whole lot more than beating unranked Oregon or losing a squeaker to 3-loss and unranked USC.

I do think CU has accomplished a little more, but I don't think someone would be insane to argue that CU and Ole Miss should be ranked in the same neighborhood; and for my money rankings in that 20-25 range are all pretty much equivalent.

25. sockdolager

sockdolager Club Member Club Member

Not a poll but ESPN's fpi index sure likes us (#15). Now favored to win the rest of our games.
    Coffee sure taste good this morning.

upload_2016-10-16_6-18-40.png

26. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Interesting that the most likely victory that the FPI gadget spit out is an away game.

27. Clean Undies

Shade better than coin flip at Stanford. I'll take it.

28. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

please, please tell me that was a tree pun, Slim Shady!

29. Clean Undies

Stanford week is sponsored by Gilbert Tree Removal.

http://gilberttreeremoval.com/

FlatironsBuff and SpacemanSpiff like this.
  30. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok!