What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Well, Mike Bohn

Mick Ronson

time to change the way we do things in the OOC. If the NCAA's gigantic strap-on this afternoon wasn't enough...what could be?

maybe i won't have to keep posting about it on message boards, year after year after year.

SOS, no more half-dozen 250+ teams.

no more it was Jeff Bzdelik's schedule....the schedules have been like this for 20 years.

I hope the selection committee tries to call MB, to explain the Buffs exclusion. And I hope MB hangs up on 'em.

I hope they call Mike Bohn he tells them to **** themselves and they won't be able to deny us a bid next year when we get an automatic qualifying bid.

I'm pissed, but Mick is absolutely correct. Please stop with the embarrassing non-conference schedules.

I'm pissed, but Mick is absolutely correct. Please stop with the embarrassing non-conference schedules.

:yeahthat:

Even if the committee wasn't being completely ignorant in how they look at OOC scheduling vs. performance against top teams, there is no reason to be playing as many crap teams as we have been. Maybe we've heard the last of the "schedule nothing but cupcakes" brigade who keep wanting CU to schedule cheap, meaningless wins as if we're the fuskers or KjSU...

it's time to understand that the NCAA has a set of criteria that it uses to select the field. rpi and sos are how it works. we got jobbed today, no doubt, but there's a reason Jerry Palm had us out. and there's a reason he's the best at this, usually. it's not that we weren't a good enough basketball team....it's because he plays the numbers. it's not that he's choosing at-large bids on who he thinks is better at basketball. it's the numbers. and we don't add up in all the criteria.

you have to schedule that way or, like today, leave yourself no margin for error. and we have error. too many games against 300 rpi teams. you can't give them a reason to leave you out. and you can't lose the last week of the season at ISU.

20 wins, doesn't mean a thing.
rpi, gotta have it.
you have to play a decent OOC.

time to change the way we do things in the OOC. If the NCAA's gigantic strap-on this afternoon wasn't enough...what could be?

maybe i won't have to keep posting about it on message boards, year after year after year.

SOS, no more half-dozen 250+ teams.

no more it was Jeff Bzdelik's schedule....the schedules have been like this for 20 years.

Just think people should know, just before we start bashing Mike Bohn whenever adversity hits that HE DOESN'T SCHEDULE BASKETBALL. That responsibility lies with the head coach, and his staff.

it's time to understand that the NCAA has a set of criteria that it uses to select the field. rpi and sos are how it works. we got jobbed today, no doubt, but there's a reason Jerry Palm had us out. and there's a reason he's the best at this, usually. it's not that we weren't a good enough basketball team....it's because he plays the numbers. it's not that he's choosing at-large bids on who he thinks is better at basketball. it's the numbers. and we don't add up in all the criteria.

you have to schedule that way or, like today, leave yourself no margin for error. and we have error. too many games against 300 rpi teams. you can't give them a reason to leave you out. and you can't lose the last week of the season at ISU.

rpi, gotta have it.

USC was #70 RPI, and actually lost some of those OOC games we're being criticized for winning.

Just think people should know, just before we start bashing Mike Bohn whenever adversity hits that HE DOESN'T SCHEDULE BASKETBALL. That responsibility lies with the head coach, and his staff.

i'm not bashing Mike Bohn. i'm pointing to the continuity in the wretched OOC schedules we have played for 20 years under every coach and AD. Mike is in charge, he's got the juice. it's time to make the change. I'm sure Tad is on board 100%.

we got punished today for how we schedule. there's no margin for error the way we try and get cosmetic wins by playing rpi 300 teams. it puts the team at a disadvantage. and voila, things like today happen.

rpi, gotta have it.

Yeah, you should get murdered by really good teams and beat nobody of note to get in.

The system is RETARDED when getting beat by good teams means more than beating good teams.

The fact that an Ohio State scumbag chaired the commitee and the Big 10 got seven teams in shows the politics and corruption plays a part.

Perhaps, CU getting screwed over by these retards and ESPN blasting them will cause a change.

i'm not arguing the merit of the system. right now, i don't care if it's good or bad. i'm describing how it works. i can't explain why USC is in and CU isn't. what i can explain, and have been posting all year....is that if your rpi is above 50, you have a low % to get in. if it's in the 60's, that % is fractionalized. this is how it is every year, not just this year.

by scheduling the way we do, we put immense almost insurmountable pressure on a "bubble team" to overcome the wired-in, structural number inflation that comes with playing 300+ rpi teams. there is almost no margin for error. and that's where we got caught.

solving this as a problem begins with not scheduling those 250-300 rpi teams in an effort to stack up meaningless cosmetic wins.

Beat OU, beat ISU, beat San Francisco - and this team is in the NCAA tournament, with a pretty decent seed to boot.

The crappy non-conference schedule didn't keep CU out. Not beating the teams CU should have beaten kept CU out.

Kansas - swept ISU, beat OU
Kansas State - swept ISU, beat OU
Mizzou - swept ISU, beat OU
A&M - swept OU, beat ISU

Beat San Fran, OU, and ISU - and Colorado would be currently 23-10, and in the NCAA tournament.

Beat OU, beat ISU, beat San Francisco - and this team is in the NCAA tournament, with a pretty decent seed to boot.

The crappy non-conference schedule didn't keep CU out. Not beating the teams CU should have beaten kept CU out.

Kansas - swept ISU, beat OU
Kansas State - swept ISU, beat OU
Mizzou - swept ISU, beat OU
A&M - swept OU, beat ISU

Beat San Fran, OU, and ISU - and Colorado would be currently 23-10, and in the NCAA tournament.

USC- Lose to Rider, Bradley, TCU, and Oregon twice, get in the tournament. Every Colorado loss is better than all those losses.

The coach makes the schedule in basketball, not the AD. There are some exceptions, but the onus is on Boyle to improve on the non-conference schedules we have come to expect from Ricardo and Bz. (90% of this year's schedule was set by Bz.)

If the NCAA committee sent a message this year, it was: "We value who you played in November/December as much or more than who you beat in January/February/March".

We can say it's unfair. Probably is. Doesn't matter, though. We need to adjust.

The coach makes the schedule in basketball, not the AD. There are some exceptions, but the onus is on Boyle to improve on the non-conference schedules we have come to expect from Ricardo and Bz. (90% of this year's schedule was set by Bz.)

If the NCAA committee sent a message this year, it was: "We value who you played in November/December as much or more than who you beat in January/February/March".

If that's the criteria then fine. But explain Clemson. Or even VCU and UAB, for that matter.

That's the problem, though -that's the message they sent THIS YEAR. Next year it's likely to be something totally different. It'll be whatever set of criteria they want to use in order to appease the power brokers in the NCAA - namely Texas, OSU, Michigan and the SEC. Throw USC in that mix, too.

It's disgusting.

This isn't about who we played. Its about Mike frigging Bohn's inability to politic. He's an effing idot moron.

if we play a team with eventual rpi in 160's for every one in the 250's or 300's...our rpi is less than 50 and we are playing on thursday or friday, not wednesday.

these are still bad teams. teams we would beat, the 15-15 scenario above is absurd.

DBT: how could you possibly know what Bohn did or didn't do to "politic" or get played by the VCU ad?

This isn't about who we played. Its about Mike frigging Bohn's inability to politic. He's an effing idot moron.

you HAVE to be trolling. You usually aren't this dumb, even when you are off your rocker.

...Boyle said "NO POLITICS" if you wanna blame someone blame Tad. He felt that we didnt need to use politics to get in. Tad felt that our performance on the court was all that should be considered for an invite to the dance. The BBall coach did not want to play games. Bohn shouldn't have to be a politician anyway

If Bohn had a nits worth of respect, we'd be in.

He wasn't on the committee. The only person on the committee with ties to CU personally and professionally has to hate bohn. WHAT DID YOU WANT HIM TO DO? Are you really so dense as to think a phone call from any AD in the country would make a difference when the people who are supposed to be on your side are trying to screw you?

He wasn't on the committee. The only person on the committee with ties to CU personally and professionally has to hate bohn. WHAT DID YOU WANT HIM TO DO? Are you really so dense as to think a phone call from any AD in the country would make a difference when the people who are supposed to be on your side are trying to screw you?

There was **** going on. UAB and VCU played the game to the hilt. Bohn was the jilted brides maid left holding the flowers.

There was **** going on. UAB and VCU played the game to the hilt. Bohn was the jilted brides maid left holding the flowers.

show me one iota of evidence that the ADs of UAB, clemson, USC, or VCU "played the game to the hilt" and I will stop calling you a crazy menstruating man with questionable intellect.

Playing a poor OOC schedule is on par for a program like CU (based on historical results). If we played big wigs all the time, we would be with a losing record before the regular season started, which would do "wonders" for the morale of the team. It's only been this year, after a long time, that we've had the talent, and luckily the right coach, to have a chance to get to the dance.

It seems Bzdelik really didn't have the belief that we would perform in his 4th (??) year so he set up a weak OOC. I hope this changes under Boyle and we start to garner national attention early on with big wins over decent/good teams.

show me one iota of evidence that the ADs of UAB, clemson, USC, or VCU "played the game to the hilt" and I will stop calling you a crazy menstruating man with questionable intellect.

Look at the schedule of both teams. They know how to schedule

Back