What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are the expectations going forward in football?

"non-PC"?
Yes. I feel like any time Mac is in front of the media he is very PC. He says the right things, uses some cliches and maintains a positive outlook.

I can't say for certain, but based on the way I've seen him react on the field, at times, to refs, players, and coaches on his staff, I don't think that's truly how he's like behind closed doors.

I wish he'd be more like Patrick Roy and less like John Fox in his dealings with the media.

Was touring the champions center on pi day, coincidentally MikeMacs birthday, there was a food table, but it felt like a birthday out of The Office. Very docile.

Nobody much remembers the Betsy/Byyny Era, except us old timers ("C*nt is a medieval term of endearment." Prez E.H.) I maintain it was the Boulder Mafia that set the tone of total arrogance the drove potential fans away. Now most of those clowns have faded away and RG is taking the proper steps to reach out to fans across the state and the spectrum. Still, much work to be done.

Worst coaching job? At the end of every day, the HC can still look out at the Flat Irons, usually bathed in sunshine and realize that his $200K/mo. paycheck will cash!

I think CU is on the **** list of many P5 coaches.

Yeah, they gotta really hate those new facilities on top of great physical location, great school and place regularly rated as one of the top places to live in the entire country. Not even counting a place with a huge renewed commitment to football success.
If they hate it, its because they're as uninformed and stoopid as you appear to be! Who pissed in your cornflakes when you were in Boulder?

Yes. I feel like any time Mac is in front of the media he is very PC. He says the right things, uses some cliches and maintains a positive outlook.

I can't say for certain, but based on the way I've seen him react on the field, at times, to refs, players, and coaches on his staff, I don't think that's truly how he's like behind closed doors.

I wish he'd be more like Patrick Roy and less like John Fox in his dealings with the media.
He's given some good post game interviews, but overall he definitely majored in coach-speak.

Winning record each year.
Win all home games.
Beat the **** out of ****aska, CSU, and arizona state each time we play them.

Yeah, they gotta really hate those new facilities on top of great physical location, great school and place regularly rated as one of the top places to live in the entire country. Not even counting a place with a huge renewed commitment to football success.
If they hate it, its because they're as uninformed and stoopid as you appear to be! Who pissed in your cornflakes when you were in Boulder?

You are indeed a massive tool.

Pls define what you mean by **** list.

Who else is on it?

How has that ****list measurement looked over time? Is CU trending down or up in the **** list rankings over the past 5 years?

Are there any schools ****tier than CU by the way you see it?

My take on CU, agree or disagree at will it keeps my mind occupied these days. If CU will ever get back to where it was, they have to want to. You have to put people in place at the top that get what it takes. I'm not referring to RG, I like him. Some others, not so much. Some of you guys are close to the program, what say you? Tired of hearing people bitch about academics should get all the funding, stfu already.

My take on CU, agree or disagree at will it keeps my mind occupied these days. If CU will ever get back to where it was, they have to want to. You have to put people in place at the top that get what it takes. I'm not referring to RG, I like him. Some others, not so much. Some of you guys are close to the program, what say you? Tired of hearing people bitch about academics should get all the funding, stfu already.

1) The people bitching about academics getting all the funding have no clue how the AD actually operates. They just see the AD spending money and think it comes from the university. It doesn't. The pools of money are separate. The AD income/expenditure have no bearing on the income/expenditure of the University and because of that have no effect on tuition.

2) RG is doing some impressive work and is being allowed to because Benson realizes that while his academic legacy is secure and fairly impressive, the legacy alumni care about, athletics, has greatly suffered. He has seen the light and is trying to fix it. Might be too little too late for him. DiStefano does what he is told so good for him I suppose. For the football team to have sustained long term success, the replacements for the Chancellor and the President need to be pro-athletics. That is up to the Regents. It is up to fans/alumni to make sure that the regents understand the desires of their constituents.

3) The AD is operating much better than it has in previous years, but there are some folks there that need to move on. Need some new blood. Hoping it happens sooner than later.

We don't need yes men, I know that much. We need guys from top to bottom that say we are gonna get this going regardless of opinion, God forbid it offends the pc folk. Y'all know what I would say to said people so I'll leave that there.

1) The people bitching about academics getting all the funding have no clue how the AD actually operates. They just see the AD spending money and think it comes from the university. It doesn't. The pools of money are separate. The AD income/expenditure have no bearing on the income/expenditure of the University and because of that have no effect on tuition.

2) RG is doing some impressive work and is being allowed to because Benson realizes that while his academic legacy is secure and fairly impressive, the legacy alumni care about, athletics, has greatly suffered. He has seen the light and is trying to fix it. Might be too little too late for him. DiStefano does what he is told so good for him I suppose. For the football team to have sustained long term success, the replacements for the Chancellor and the President need to be pro-athletics. That is up to the Regents. It is up to fans/alumni to make sure that the regents understand the desires of their constituents.

3) The AD is operating much better than it has in previous years, but there are some folks there that need to move on. Need some new blood. Hoping it happens sooner than later.

Good summary.
So the future of CUAD in the hands of Regents who will someday be replacing Benson.

Since this is an election year, and presumably some regent positions will be up for grabs, is it time to get to know the candidates and figure out where they stand?

Good summary.
So the future of CUAD in the hands of Regents who will someday be replacing Benson.

Since this is an election year, and presumably some regent positions will be up for grabs, is it time to get to know the candidates and figure out where they stand?
Take a good look at Heidi Ganahl, CU alum with a strong business background who has been involved with the university in a couple of capacities over the past decade. Very pro AD. Running for at-large regent. https://www.facebook.com/hganahl/?fref=ts http://heidiganahl.com/

You are indeed a massive tool.
At least I support my suppositions. Ever think of trying that, instead of, ya know, just throwing sh*t out there? Just answer Skiddy's questions. Of course that assumes you can! If not, we understand.

We don't need yes men, I know that much. We need guys from top to bottom that say we are gonna get this going regardless of opinion, God forbid it offends the pc folk. Y'all know what I would say to said people so I'll leave that there.

Second non-sequitur mention of political correctness in this thread. Just bizarre.

Pls define what you mean by **** list.

Who else is on it?

How has that ****list measurement looked over time? Is CU trending down or up in the **** list rankings over the past 5 years?

Are there any schools ****tier than CU by the way you see it?

Iowa State and Miami, but for different reasons.

Staying the same. No. No other school would have killed it's football program the way CU did.

Again, I didn't say CU was a ****ty school, or a ****ty football program. I said CU was on the **** list of many P5 football coaches. That is undeniable.

What I mean by **** list is a P5 school that absolutely no HC will go to unless it's a big step up in classification. (See Hawkins, Embree, MMac.)

What other P5 programs were trying to land Hawkins at the time? I didn't follow this stuff at the time.

Neither did I. If any were (and possibly there were some), I'm sure that later they were lighting a candle in church that they didn't get him.

Iowa State and Miami, but for different reasons.

Staying the same. No. No other school would have killed it's football program the way CU did.

Again, I didn't say CU was a ****ty school, or a ****ty football program. I said CU was on the **** list of many P5 football coaches. That is undeniable.

Meh. CU has evolved since 2005.
New AD. New facilities. New conference. More competitive salaries. An impressive $95M fundraising campaign.

To assert the trend has '"no change" is going to need to be explained further.

I think the CU job is looking better and better, possibly even taking a higher spot than OSU, WSU, KU, ISU, KJuco, Indiana, and Purdue.

Arguably, CU is now in the peer group of Boston College, Georgia State, NCState, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Utah, and Miami.

That's still bottom 1/3rd of P5 schools, but better than rock bottom.

Rick George has made the job much more desirable because of his awesome fundraising efforts.....it is no coincidence that CU is on the rise while a certain AD in Cincinnati is crapping all over himself trying to get their school into the Big XII and failing miserably at making it work

What other P5 programs were trying to land Hawkins at the time? I didn't follow this stuff at the time.

When we hired Hawkins he didn't have (publicly) any other P5 offers but it was just a matter of time. He was the hot prospect getting the majority of mentions in the national media. Boise was the giant killer program in the mid-majors and as the Boise HC with a shining W-L record Hawk was going to get his offers, CU jumped in and took him and at the time none of us argued with it. Turns out he wasn't the right guy but nobody was saying that at the time.

I guess the better question, as it pertains to the conversation, is what other coaches showed interest in the CU job before they hired Hawk?

When we hired Hawkins he didn't have (publicly) any other P5 offers but it was just a matter of time. He was the hot prospect getting the majority of mentions in the national media. Boise was the giant killer program in the mid-majors and as the Boise HC with a shining W-L record Hawk was going to get his offers, CU jumped in and took him and at the time none of us argued with it. Turns out he wasn't the right guy but nobody was saying that at the time.

Giant killer? WTF are you talking about?

Hawkins got hired at CU because Mike Bohn took Chuck Neinas' recommendation as gospel. Period.

I do think that the football program is improving. This recent recruiting class gives me hope, as does Leavitt and Chiv.

Giant killer? WTF are you talking about?

Hawkins got hired at CU because Mike Bohn took Chuck Neinas' recommendation as gospel. Period.

Giant killer from a standpoint that he had a better than .500 record against at the time the BCS level programs (now P5.) including a couple of bowl wins. His record at Boise was something ridiculous like 56-9 (could be less losses, going from memory.)

What we didn't know was that while he could steer a program that was already build and had a solid staff of assistants when he got the job he could not build a program from scratch.

Nienas did make the hire happen but that doesn't change the fact that if CU hadn't hired him some other major conference program would have. He had the highest profile and the best record of the mid-major coaches.

Yes he sucked, yes he was terrible, yes he drove a historically strong program into depths it hadn't seen since the 1950's but at the time of the hire many thought if was a good one.

I mostly blame Dr. Phil for allowing his to stay around so long and preventing his firing after it was obvious that he was a complete and total failure.

Back