What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are your expectations for the CU program?

What are your expectations for the CU Football Program!!

• CU should be a perrenial Top 15 Team - B12 Champ, MNC.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • CU should be a consistent Top 25 Team - Competing for B12 N Yearly & BCS Bowl 1 in 5 years.

Votes: 83 67.5%
  • CU should be a consistent 7 to 8 win team. Winning B12 N once in awhile & B12 in a great year.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • For Nebraska Trolls - CU should be happy to beat ISU every year.

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • It is only important to have good recruiting rankings ---to heck with the season!!

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackNGold

Club Member
Back in 2004 and 2005 the CU message boards were full of high expectations for the CU football program. That was a big reason for the dumping of the previous coaching regime.

I have sensed a complete shift in attitude by some of the same people who had the most lofty expectations for CU Football. So I wanted to do a reality check with the posters here.

Apparently if you criticize the coaching staff (poor guys, I mean really, Hawkins only makes over $1M per year, how could you possibly pick on a guy in such a horrible situation?) you aren't a fan [probably a horrible person, in all honesty] but I think the expectations have been lowered somewhat by the staff - I personally don't think they have what it takes to be winners.

basically I want hte team competing for the BIG XII North title every year except on very rare occasions.

8-10 win seasons should be the norm. We are no USC, so I can handle an occassional hiccup.

I hope to see the end of the losing season for a while tho. Hopefully, last year was the last one.

I don't know why I am so patient with this staff, but maybe it was because I was here during the downfall from 2001 onward... I know what Barnett started with, and where we were when he left. Such a huge difference :sad1:

Back in 2004 and 2005 the CU message boards were full of high expectations for the CU football program. That was a big reason for the dumping of the previous coaching regime.

I have sensed a complete shift in attitude by some of the same people who had the most lofty expectations for CU Football. So I wanted to do a reality check with the posters here.

I expect our team to be on the short list for Conference Contenders each season. My expectations were forged during my tenure as a student at CU in the early nineties and have remained mostly consistent. I've been realistic in years I expected to be "off", but I belive we are close to returning to a conference power.

basically I want hte team competing for the BIG XII North title every year except on very rare occasions.

8-10 win seasons should be the norm. We are no USC, so I can handle an occassional hiccup.

I hope to see the end of the losing season for a while tho. Hopefully, last year was the last one.

I don't know why I am so patient with this staff, but maybe it was because I was here during the downfall from 2001 onward... I know what Barnett started with, and where we were when he left. Such a huge difference :sad1:

I'm right with you. I also want the program looked at positively through the eyes of outsiders. I like what Bohn and Hawk have done as far as turning the negative vibe around, that to me is worth giving up a win or two during the year. We could have a program like Florida State, win a lot of games but constantly be in the news for negative things. I want to be proud to put on the Black and Gold and not have to defend it.

While there might have been room for one more choice right in between the top two, in general I would like to see the Buffs as a tier 1 program. The type of program that would be one of the first a highly regarded recruit thinks of. The type of team other schools don't look forward to playing, big, tough, strong, fast, explosive.....you get the picture. A team like that would be in the top 15 every year and would content for conference championships and BCS bowls on a regular basis. Naming names a team the calibre of SC, UF, UT, OU and the like.

I hope Hawkins can lead them there.

While there might have been room for one more choice right in between the top two, in general I would like to see the Buffs as a tier 1 program. The type of program that would be one of the first a highly regarded recruit thinks of. The type of team other schools don't look forward to playing, big, tough, strong, fast, explosive.....you get the picture. A team like that would be in the top 15 every year and would content for conference championships and BCS bowls on a regular basis. Naming names a team the calibre of SC, UF, UT, OU and the like.

Oh, everybody WANTS that swish, but not everybody expects it.

yeah, i'd put my expectations somewhere between the first and second choice.

my baseline expectations:

1. every year, have a winning record and go to a bowl game
2. compete for the b12 north every year
3. win the conference every few years
4. be in the hunt for a nc late into the year, every 5-6 years or so
5. win more bowl games than you lose, and play in some good ones
6. play big regular season games and beat ranked opponents more regularly than we have been doing
7. every year, have a top 20 recruiting class and sometimes better
8. graduate players and keep them out of trouble when they are here
9. send guys into the nfl every year
10. win the nc every decade or so (that would be awesome)
11. always be ranked in the top 25 and usually the top 20

I think somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd option. I think that a consistent top-25 team is probably asking a bit much, even the top programs going spurts without being ranked. Same with competing for the Big 12 North, they're not going to be in the running every year. Having said that, I expect them to be ranked more often than not, and competing for the Big 12 North more often than not.

I enjoy watching CU play good football.
This means the Buffs are competitive when playing anyone on the schedule.
On the field, the offense is able to sustain drives. 3 and out drives me crazy. I'm disappointed when the Buffs convert <60% of third downs. Trips inside the 20 have to result in putting points on the board. I expect >100 yards rushing. The QB needs to complete >65% of throws. TDs need to outnumber INT/Fumb 5:1.

On defense, I expect good tackeling. Solid hits = good. Arm tackles = Teh suk. The opposing QB should be pressured. Coverage should not be blown. I expect > 8 INT per season.

I expect a positive turnover ratio.

I expect the kicking game to be the envy of the B12. I expect no missed PATs nor FGs from inside the 35. I expect opposing teams are never allowed to bring a KR out past their own 35. When there is no wind, CU's kickoff should go through the endzone better than half the time. I expect punts to average >45 yards, but not so far to result in a touchback.

I expect <50 yards in penalties, no false starts, and no personal fouls.

I expect shrewd clock management from the QB and coaches.

Off the field, I don't want to hear about violence, drugs, poor grades, or any behavior that brings embarassment to the school. Stories of excellence in the classroom and in the community should be abundant.

I expect the coaches to say what they do, and then do what they say. I expect no NCAA sanctions. I expect the best talent in the state to be Buffs. I expect that CU can recruit anywhere in the country, because Boulder is on par or better than any school in the B12, and every bit is sexy as ND, UCLA, Oregon, Wiscy. I expect a few starters to be from SEC country.

I expect the Buffs to regularly win on the road. I expect a good game against any team from the North, and an opportunity to play in the CCG every year. I expect a win over CSU. I expect a better than .500 record against ranked teams. I expect CU not to be blown out by more than 3 scores.

I expect CU fans to fill Folsom and make it their priority to attend at least one road game each year. I expect any CU fan with adequate resource to be familiar with the C-Club. All die hard fans should make it a life's mission to attend a bowl game at least once a decade, more if possible. There should be >1,500 CU fans in the visitors section for every away game.

So long as those expectations are met, I don't really need to dwell on W's & L's.

6. play big regular season games and beat ranked opponents more regularly than we have been doing

Mac Had CU in Number 1/2 from 1989 through 1996 (RNs first two years). 1997/2005 Under RN/Barnett CU was pretty much in number 3.

:dito::yeahthat:

I enjoy watching CU play good football.
This means the Buffs are competitive when playing anyone on the schedule.
On the field, the offense is able to sustain drives. 3 and out drives me crazy. I'm disappointed when the Buffs convert <60% of third downs. Trips inside the 20 have to result in putting points on the board. I expect >100 yards rushing. The QB needs to complete >65% of throws. TDs need to outnumber INT/Fumb 5:1.

On defense, I expect good tackeling. Solid hits = good. Arm tackles = Teh suk. The opposing QB should be pressured. Coverage should not be blown. I expect > 8 INT per season.

I expect a positive turnover ratio.

I expect the kicking game to be the envy of the B12. I expect no missed PATs nor FGs from inside the 35. I expect opposing teams are never allowed to bring a KR out past their own 35. When there is no wind, CU's kickoff should go through the endzone better than half the time. I expect punts to average >45 yards, but not so far to result in a touchback.

I expect <50 yards in penalties, no false starts, and no personal fouls.

I expect shrewd clock management from the QB and coaches.

Off the field, I don't want to hear about violence, drugs, poor grades, or any behavior that brings embarassment to the school. Stories of excellence in the classroom and in the community should be abundant.

I expect the coaches to say what they do, and then do what they say. I expect no NCAA sanctions. I expect the best talent in the state to be Buffs. I expect that CU can recruit anywhere in the country, because Boulder is on par or better than any school in the B12, and every bit is sexy as ND, UCLA, Oregon, Wiscy. I expect a few starters to be from SEC country.

I expect the Buffs to regularly win on the road. I expect a good game against any team from the North, and an opportunity to play in the CCG every year. I expect a win over CSU. I expect a better than .500 record against ranked teams. I expect CU not to be blown out by more than 3 scores.

I expect CU fans to fill Folsom and make it their priority to attend at least one road game each year. I expect any CU fan with adequate resource to be familiar with the C-Club. All die hard fans should make it a life's mission to attend a bowl game at least once a decade, more if possible. There should be >1,500 CU fans in the visitors section for every away game.

So long as those expectations are met, I don't really need to dwell on W's & L's.

You forgot the most important one - "And my brews served in a frosty mug by a lovely wench in a low cut blouse!" Well, we asked for everything else I could think of...

I want CU to be one of the best, but being a consistent player in the Big XII North, winning 8+ games a year, going to descent bowl games (BCS every few years, if not still in the damn standings), fielding consistent teams (not always big winners, but hard workers that'll give their all), solid recruiting, relevency, and more production!

Right now, what Coach Bz is doing with the basketball program is exactly what I would like the football program to be doing. Of course, it is easier to overhaul a bball program compared to a football program. But, Bz knows how the coaching business works because he's been at a high level for a long time. If Bzdelik will take care of business, he'll get rid of staff and players that don't fit his system. That might sound heartless and cold, but if you're in a BCS conference you have to do what is best for the program, not for your friends or yourself.

I hope Hawk figures this out. I mean, he can stay with the same staff this year, I'll allow him a 'free' card this season. However, if next season is more of the same, he better make changes. If not, then he can go with the guys who aren't getting it done around him.

Hawk is one heck of a guy. I really like him and I believe in what he is doing. I hope his staff can turn it around, or else he has got to make adjustments.

1. most of the time, have a winning record and go to a bowl game
11. be ranked in the top 25 most of the time and usually the top 20

i agree

I want consistency, 7-8 wins. In great years, we will contend. In "off" years we still go bowling. Mainly, no 3-70 & 0-58 games! I started going to games in the Fairbanks era, I've seen my quota of horrible football in this life: just don't suck! I don't think that's too much to ask for.

I know this poll is not scientific but I am actually surprised that so many picked numbers 1 and 2. It appears at this point that 81% of the Buff Fans believe the Buffs should be an annual top 25 team or better. I am surprise only because I hear so much acceptance of the teams performance over the past 3 years.

I know this poll is not scientific but I am actually surprised that so many picked numbers 1 and 2. It appears at this point that 81% of the Buff Fans believe the Buffs should be an annual top 25 team or better. I am surprise only because I hear so much acceptance of the teams performance over the past 3 years.
That acceptance is the conditioned response of years and years of mediocre
football. I'm for the free beer and the strippers - why not have some fun at the stadium for a change? Is it really true that we have never tried a 4th down conversion? What exactly does Hawkins have to lose besides his obvious pleasure in patting our field goal kicker on the head when he finally makes a kick?

Last edited:
That acceptance is the conditioned response of years and years of mediocre
football. I'm for the free beer and the strippers - why not have some fun at the stadium for a change? Is it really true that we have never tried a 4th down conversion? What exactly does Hawkins have to lose besides his obvious pleasure in patting our field goal kicker on the head when he finally makes a kick?

I guess you lost me on the 4th down conversion comment. CU was 4 for 4 on 4th down tries last week.

Acceptance is an overstatement.

Learning to cope with delusions of grandure more accurately defines my less than scientific position. In my mind, every year should be like 1989-1990.

The cognitive dissidence caused by this disappointing season and very high hopes has me flummoxed.

Its hard for me to land squarely on these three options 1) to ignore facts and drink Pollyanna Koolaid that next season turns all things around, 2) Get pissed about not having T. Boone Pickins level cash to throw at fixing the problem, or 3) Refrain from getting despondant about things outside of my control.

Ultimately, I will watch Hawk dig himself out of this hole, and cheer for his success in doing so. I reserve judgement about his ultimate place in the pantheon of CU coaches until after I see him bounce back a winner or languish in mediocrity. In my heart, I still believe Hawkins is good for a .625 career record at CU. At 13-23, he has a lot of winning to do to get there.

We will never have the support from the school admin and community be to an OU, or the money to be a USC.

I don't think winning 8-9 games a year, with an occasional off season of 5-6 wins, or occasional great year with 10-11 wins is too much to ask for.

What I do expect is for CU to beat teams they are supposed to beat, and beat them with ease, especially at home. The games against EWU and ISU that CU had to come back to win were a joke.

The road games and the inability to even play average has been a huge issue of mine. There is no excuse for how poorly CU plays on the road.

what i honestly expect from my buffs is to be ranked EVERY YEAR. or damn close to ranked. I expect 9-10 wins every year with the occasional 8-9 win seasons. with great years being 10-12 wins. we should be in the hunt for the big xii title EVERY year. wining it every few years. once in a long while should this team be 5-7 wins. there should not be any more 2-10 seasons. No huge lopsided losses. We need to expect great things from our team. I want consistant play from our teams.

ROAD PLAY MUST GET BETTER. we should not be losing so much on the road. I expect this team to be great and other teams not want to play us. I expect us to make the NU game a rival game and fight tooth and nail against them. I EXPECT TO BE NU EVERY TIME or damn near close.

Will it happen? dont know. doubt it any time soon. Right now our team is a joke.

what i honestly expect from my buffs is to be ranked EVERY YEAR. or damn close to ranked. I expect 9-10 wins every year with the occasional 8-9 win seasons. with great years being 10-12 wins. we should be in the hunt for the big xii title EVERY year. wining it every few years. once in a long while should this team be 5-7 wins. there should not be any more 2-10 seasons. No huge lopsided losses. We need to expect great things from our team. I want consistant play from our teams.

ROAD PLAY MUST GET BETTER. we should not be losing so much on the road. I expect this team to be great and other teams not want to play us. I expect us to make the NU game a rival game and fight tooth and nail against them. I EXPECT TO BE NU EVERY TIME or damn near close.

Will it happen? dont know. doubt it any time soon. Right now our team is a joke.
you expect CU to be at the same level as Texas? wow.

Start ponying up the dough, oh, and find a way to close in the north endzone and also fill those seats.

We have won a handful of outright conference titles in our history and you expect us to start winning them every few years? Snow is right, you might want to be realistic. Unless we suddenly start rolling in the dough, we're not going to turn into OU or Texas overnight.

Back