What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are your ideas to improve recruiting?

Because it would improve our recruiting and talent level. Which is the topic of the thread.
We would? Based on what evidence? If running a smash mouth offense is so easy surely Embree should have been able to do it. Don't really care about an offense from 14 years ago, quit living in the past. The spread and those variations are the future.

Last edited:
Seriously. Embree failed as a coach and would have never been hired anywhere else. Stop using him as evidence of the failure of smash mouth football at CU. I don't know what the hell that offense was. But it was 2 years of randomness and bubble screens for negative yards. Let's not go there.

I've already stated my evidence. BUT Just look at Utah. They figured it out. You're telling me we couldn't do that?

Utah runs a smash mouth offense? Interesting. Does that mean Auburn does as well?

Utah runs a smash mouth offense? Interesting. Does that mean Auburn does as well?

They RUN the ball and they play good DEFENSE. And amazingly they're ranked in the top 25 without a great QB. ****ING SHOCKING ISN'T IT?!?

They RUN the ball and they play good DEFENSE. And amazingly they're ranked in the top 25 without a great QB. ****ING SHOCKING ISN'T IT?!?
So what is your definition of a smash mouth team? Just because you run the ball doesn't mean you are smash mouth.

So what is your definition of a smash mouth team? Just because you run the ball doesn't mean you are smash mouth.

Here is the actual definition.

In American football, a smashmouth offense is an offensive system that relies on a strong running game, where most of the plays run by the offense are handoffs to the fullbackor tailback. It is a more traditional style of offense that often results in a higher time of possession by running the ball heavily. So-called "smash-mouth football" is often run out of the I-formation or wishbone, with tight ends and receivers used as blockers. Though the offense is run-oriented, pass opportunities can develop as defenses play close to the line. Play-action can be very effective for a run-oriented team.

I already laid out my ideas on all of this in my first post on this thread. I already conceded that it won't happen. I just wish that it did. I honestly don't see how CU will ever rise to a consistent top 20 program with the current scheme and recruiting. We may get lucky and have an amazing year. Maybe when Sefo is a senior, he'll be able to provide some wins with a seasoned veteran team.

Yes seriously. You're logic to conclusions make no sense. You say you provided evidence, but I don't see any.

YOUR an idot and I'm not wasting any more time responding to you. You should try actually reading my posts. Annoy someone else.

YOUR an idot and I'm not wasting any more time responding to you. You should try actually reading my posts. Annoy someone else.
First off, irony. Second, I have read your posts, still not sure how you got to this conclusion:

Because it would improve our recruiting and talent level. Which is the topic of the thread.

And you never provided evidence backing that up, just that assertion. Oh and Utah, Arizona, Auburn, UCLA, etc. run spread option variations...hardly smash mouth offenses

Ok boys calm it down. Jax you are partially right, smash mouth football does win, sometimes. But it doesn't work if you don't have elite smash mouth football players.

Auburns team reminds me of the old buffs of the 90's(besides the hurry up).

Tinis argument also has a valid basis. Our offense with a little better talent is going to be ridiculous. Our defense should be the only cause of concern with this team. If you are bashing the offense, you are a USDA Grade A dumbass.

I personally see recruiting picking up for the 2016 class. With the amount of numbers we took this and last class in the trenches I feel very, very confident in the 2017 year and beyond.

1. Work on relaxing admission standards for special athletes. Make it easier for JUCOs to transfer to CU.
3. Increase the recruiting budget.

1. Work on relaxing admission standards for special athletes. Make it easier for JUCOs to transfer to CU.

Doesn't CU already have one of the biggest recruiting budgets in the nation?

and JUCO standards are becoming more difficult for all with the new rules put in place. What credits are allowed to be transfers from a JUCO are leveling this playing field which is the intention of the rule changes. That and the standards CU currently uses I am pretty sure have been relaxed. These really are not substantive issues any more

I would rather us just suck. Seriously, USC, UCLA, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, etc. etc. have been fairly successful over the years with simple, classy uniforms. I wouldn't root for a team that presented themselves like Oregon.

Late to this party but,

la-sp-usc-steve-sarkisian-alternate-helmets-20141016

sarkisian is prepared for some backlash when the Trojans wear metallic-tinted helmets with chrome facemasks on Saturday."You're not going to please everybody," he said. "And for as many people as there are that want us not to change a thing and still wear the same cleats and whatever else, there's as many people that want something new."
Many major programs have alternate uniforms or have experimented with them. Oregon, of course, is the leader in multiple uniforms and accents. UCLA and Notre Dame also have alternate uniforms.
"It was a way to kind of update our look in a sense, but yet hold on to our tradition," Sarkisian said. "This is a way to freshen things up a little bit but also respect our past."
Sarkisian said he thought the helmets were "really cool."
"We'll see how they look Saturday," he said. "I'll like them a lot more if we win."

adidasUCLAUniform_FRONT_crop_exact.jpg

UMFB_MSU_Uniforms-thumb-333x221-112003.jpg

20130928_ajw_aw3_374.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Penn State changes their helmets almost every other year.

Alabama is the only one you listed that does not wear at least a noticeable alternate (Although the tide have incorporated a houndstooth pattern in the numbers and collars before)

The landscape is changing. Time for CU to change with it, and the rumor is we are doing so and they will be on display next season.

Hell, OSU used their alternate "white out" uniform, strategically against Penn State.

As far as an idea to what to do to improve recruiting? Honestly I think the Folsom Frenzy movement needs as much support as it can get. An energetic stadium not only helps the team, but recruits definitely enjoy the trip more. That is why the staff takes them to basketball games. The IPF/NE Complex will help a ton because we will have the amenities expected from a D1 school.

From a fan side though we can help with recruiting by just showing up loud and energetic to Folsom. Wearing black and gold around town doesn't hurt either.

and JUCO standards are becoming more difficult for all with the new rules put in place. What credits are allowed to be transfers from a JUCO are leveling this playing field which is the intention of the rule changes. That and the standards CU currently uses I am pretty sure have been relaxed. These really are not substantive issues any more

Other than there being no place for PE and General Studies credits to find equivalent courses so we sometimes need to have a guy pick up 1-3 courses online or something.

The uniform thing should be automatic now. Let's have a solid classic version that we will use in our important games like the national championships and other fun ones for when we are playing worthless opponents like USC Oregon, etc

Mahalo

'

That list doesn't look right.
Tennessee spends about 1.4 million on recruiting, CU about 400K.

I do see things getting better. More JUCOs are been admitted.

It is no big secret that we need one or two strong recruiters on the coaching staff.

Tennessee recruits nationally. They also have a ****ing cathedral for a stadium. We just need to be better then everyone out west.

Back