What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are your ideas to improve recruiting?

We definitely WILL continue developing that identity. And I think that's why Mac will be jobless by 2017. I'm not expecting CU to change really anything we've been doing. I only listed what I would do if I had the ability to control this program for the same 5 years that Mac will get.

I never said it was easy. But we would recruit a higher level of player to that scheme simply because we wouldn't be competing with the top P12 schools.

Oregon will never win a championship because they will always end up playing a team that will overpower them and have good enough athletes on defense to stop their high speed offense.

CU has NEVER been a winning team with a finesse passing offense. It looks weird to me. I think certain programs have identities and our is not one of finesse. Even Nebraska had to learn the same lesson. Colorado Football was once a proud powerhouse. We used to just line up and run all over people. We had a heisman RB! I miss those days. There are teams winning like that in today's college football. CU should be one of them.

Tini, I know this isn't the simple easy answer you're hoping for. Sorry kiddo. I just don't see us as a top 25 program anytime soon with this offense and recruiting.

Different quarter-century. Different coaches. Different players. Different scheme. No program has "an identity" that extends beyond the continuity of the staff there. What was happening in 1989 in Boulder a half-dozen coaches ago has literally nothing at all to do with what's happening in Boulder today.

I could conceivably buy an argument (with evidence) that certain schools are persistently better at recruiting certain regions and that certain regains persistently produce certain types of football prospects, but anything less than that is just nonsense, IMO.

Last edited:
To add about Mac not having a good eye for talent. He took a Walkon. A freaking walk on OL and turned him into to a 6th round draft pick. He got absolute players to SJSU.

Different quarter-century. Different coaches. Different players. Different scheme. No program has "an identity" that extends beyond the continuity of the staff there. What was happening in 1989 in Boulder a half-dozen coaches ago has literally nothing at all to do with what's happening in Boulder today.

I could conceivably buy an argument (with evidence) that certain schools are persistently better at recruiting certain regions and that certain regains persistently produce certain types of football prospects, but anything less than that is just nonsense, IMO.

It's a good point on how regional styles of play will shape what style of play fits your program best. For example, UT was behind the curve of Oklahoma (then Texas Tech, Mizzou, Kansas and OSU) on finding the right QBs and implementing the shotgun spread offense that a ton of Texas high schools had started to run. In the Pac-10, Oregon also took advantage of that while USC, Cal and ASU were having a lot of success running pro style attacks.

Knowing what's going on in the high schools and staying with the trend curve is a big deal.

One example of that right now is that the best athletes on defense are playing safety instead of MLB. On offense, they're often at WR instead of RB these days.

It's a good point on how regional styles of play will shape what style of play fits your program best. For example, UT was behind the curve of Oklahoma (then Texas Tech, Mizzou, Kansas and OSU) on finding the right QBs and implementing the shotgun spread offense that a ton of Texas high schools had started to run. In the Pac-10, Oregon also took advantage of that while USC, Cal and ASU were having a lot of success running pro style attacks.

Knowing what's going on in the high schools and staying with the trend curve is a big deal.

One example of that right now is that the best athletes on defense are playing safety instead of MLB. On offense, they're often at WR instead of RB these days.

Wisconsin is the perfect example of that to me. They recruit a region that is relatively weak in terms of skill position players, but very very strong in terms of big nasties. They snag all the big corn fed linemen and are able to consistently have a successful mean smash-mouth type offense.

To the original post: Completed facilities should give a good bump in recruiting, regardless of who the coaches are. We have about 14/15 months until it happens. Past that, I agree we'll need to add an ace recruiter or two, and cut the dead weight. I like that MM puts a premium on player development, and finding kids that he thinks will be around 4 or 5 years. But, like someone on here said in another thread, there will be a low ceiling until we start seeing recruiting classes at least in the top 40. With the amount of money being spent on facilities and coaches, that should be a given by the 2017 class at the very latest.

with the announcement of the PAC12 offering medical insurance to cover athletes after they leave school and all being offered while going to school, will benefit CU in recruiting from Texas and parts of the country outside the PAC footprint IMO.

We need to add two more ace recruiters. The staff does a good job evaluating talent and works hard; but if we could add a couple more coaches that can really sell the program and bring in more 4 star players. Landing Fields this year was great. Each year as we win more and become relevant again we should pick up more players that would have gone to our opponents. Better recruiters will speed up the process.
Add Hagan for starters and pay the money to bring in an ace.

with the announcement of the PAC12 offering medical insurance to cover athletes after they leave school and all being offered while going to school, will benefit CU in recruiting from Texas and parts of the country outside the PAC footprint IMO.

That might be a nice sell to some parents, but to the average 17 year old, that won't make a bit of difference.

Until the Big XII does the same thing.

Until the Big XII does the same thing.

That's the thing. This will be a P5 advantage, not a Pac-12 advantage.

Will help when recruiting against Houston or SDSU for a local prospect, but won't mean anything when going against Oklahoma.

Have we started cheating yet? And I don't mean feeding walkons at the scholarship training table.

Will help when recruiting against Houston or SDSU for a local prospect, but won't mean anything when going against Oklahoma.

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

A lunch box slush fund. Maybe we should feed non scholarship players fillet mignon and charge the price of a hamburger.

EXACTLY!!! Win a couple games. There is no more, jump on board to build the foundation. The foundation is here. The house is being built. Now they need to add the finishing touches to make this a house that better recruits want to go to. Good recruits want to win and showcase their talents. You aren't showcasing your talents playing at 10 a.m. PT on the Pac 12 Network. Get good enough that your game is on ABC or ESPN. Game Day in Boulder next year with a 4-0 Buffs team and 4-0 Oregon team with Buffs only slight underdogs sounds like a good way to start.

EXACTLY!!! Win a couple games. There is no more, jump on board to build the foundation. The foundation is here. The house is being built. Now they need to add the finishing touches to make this a house that better recruits want to go to. Good recruits want to win and showcase their talents. You aren't showcasing your talents playing at 10 a.m. PT on the Pac 12 Network. Get good enough that your game is on ABC or ESPN. Game Day in Boulder next year with a 4-0 Buffs team and 4-0 Oregon team with Buffs only slight underdogs sounds like a good way to start.
Exactly. I see a big drop off once Marcus is gone though - they might not be undefeated when they play our Buffs.

There ain't no cryin' in football!

The exception might be if your John Moxon and you find out Bud Kilmer just got your scholarship to Brown pulled and the harsh reality sits in that "S*IT, I am going to be working at Wal-Mart with Lance Harbor"

Exactly. I see a big drop off once Marcus is gone though - they might not be undefeated when they play our Buffs.

The nation will finally see what Helfrinch is really made of next season without Mariota and Ekpre Olomu. I personally am not expecting much.

Oregon open next year

vs Eastern Washington
@ Michigan State
vs Georgia State
vs Utah

They will likely not be 4-0 when they come to boulder next year.

The nation will finally see what Helfrinch is really made of next season without Mariota and Ekpre Olomu. I personally am not expecting much.

Oregon open next year

vs Eastern Washington
@ Michigan State
vs Georgia State
vs Utah

I was thinking that as well, but holding out hope Buffs get to 5-0 by beating a team that barely gets by Michigan State and Utah but is still in Top 10 based off previous years. Helfrich is an average coach with immense talent, especially from the most important position. A reason I still am skeptical if we have the right guy at QB and if we will make that next step. Wazzou game is a big test.

Add a Physical Education Major, and a Hip Hop Major.

Should be some experienced African-American Studies faculty available with experience in North Carolina!

We could add a general studies major like Cal does for athletes.

Actually I don't think academics is a significant issue against us and the quality of the school should work for us.

We simply have to do two things.

One is to win some games. Nobody is coming here if they think we are going to be a permanent bottom feeder. We have to win enough games to at least give hope that we are on the way up.

Secondly we have to sell some kids on the vision and those kids have to be kids who would have otherwise gone to our competitors. We have to do a sales job and close the sale much more often.

The first one we are getting close but need to seal the deal. I think next season we will start to win some PAC games. I wish I could be more optimistic but I think it will be 4-6 total including 1-2 PAC games. That won't put us in a bowl but will let us show some progress.

The second one I think relies on getting some better salesmen. We need to make some changes in the staff and hire a couple of young, energetic guys who can get recruits emotionally involved and close the deal.

Oregon open next year

vs Eastern Washington
@ Michigan State
vs Georgia State
vs Utah

dont fool yourself...yes ducks lose a great qb but will still have speed everywhere....and probably a top 3 in the country rb in royce freeman.... so while maybe not nat title contenders its still gonna be a huge step for our buffs to take

The irony is that if someone started a "how do we start winning" thread, most of the answers would involve upgrading the talent level of this team. So which comes first?

The irony is that if someone started a "how do we start winning" thread, most of the answers would involve upgrading the talent level of this team. So which comes first?

Is this the cart before the horse argument? I think the main thing that gets the Buffs winning is small things like not throwing picks and execution. The Buffs were as talented as Oregon State and not much off from Cal. UCLA we outplayed for 3 quarters which proved not to be enough.

They help each other is the answer. Good recruits go to teams trying to win. Great recruits go to teams already winning and showing success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back