What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What did Hawk say to Klatt?

Love how Neuheisel rode Mac's QB recruits (Detmer, Hessler) and then our QB starters went in the following order: Juco, Ochs, Juco, Juco, Walk-on. Good think that walk-on turned out to be Joel Klatt and was very respectable leading CU through the scandal years. Injured frequently and overthrew a lot of guys but played enough to get many school passing records. How many QBs did Barnett scholly out of high school that he thought would eventually be leading this team? Just Colt Brennan? If Klatt had been shelved much earlier those last Barnett years would have been awfully grim with Cox and Jackson as our program saviors.

Since when? I'm definitely not part of that crowd, and I know quite a few others that think he was one of the most overrated quarterbacks ever. He had a great first game, but then... I don't hate on him like I do some of our other former players (not going to say who), but I definitely don't think the overall sentiment about Klatt is one of "damn high regard."

Joel Klatt is held in high regard because he was a solid leader and standup guy when he played for the Buffs. Joel talked at a Chamber of Commerce event several years ago and I have to say came away very impressed with him as a person. He told the story about when he was a little kid he would go to CU games with his Dad and when he was a teenager he asked his Dad if he was good enough to play for CU, his Dad told him no.

Put me in the crowd that holds Joel in high regard.

By the way the school name is spelled Pomona and a lot of former Buffs graduated from there...I am pretty sure that Ryan Gray was also from Pomona.

Yes, I also hold Joel Klatt in high regard. Although I haven't met him, my observations of him on and off the field leave me impressed. I feel bad for him because I think he did not properly recover from a shoulder injury and that hindered his abilities. I think it led Watson to call a dink/dunk offense that just frustrated me. That coupled with Watson abandoning the I-formation for the one back running game that didn't work very well caused me to criticize Watson's offense a lot.

Nevertheless, Joel is a first class guy.

i like Joel. he had some limitations as a player and never had the same gun after he got hurt....but i think more of Joel as a Buff than Hawk at this point.

i like Joel. he had some limitations as a player and never had the same gun after he got hurt....but i think more of Joel as a Buff than Hawk at this point.

All the players with very few exceptions can be considered as a
Buff-for-Life. Most coaches can also be considered as a Buff-for-Life.
Out of all the Colorado coaches who I have observed since Dal Ward, I
think Ricky and Fairbanks don't qualify. I'm leaning a particular way with Hawkins, but won't say one way or the other at this time. It's probably not hard to figure out.

As for the way I knew Coach Ward, Eddie invited him to come to practices after he retired and give pointers where he thought he might help. Coach Ward was a pretty neat old guy.

All the players with very few exceptions can be considered as a
Buff-for-Life. Most coaches can also be considered as a Buff-for-Life.
Out of all the Colorado coaches who I have observed since Dal Ward, I
think Ricky and Fairbanks don't qualify. I'm leaning a particular way with Hawkins, but won't say one way or the other at this time. It's probably not hard to figure out.

As for the way I knew Coach Ward, Eddie invited him to come to practices after he retired and give pointers where he thought he might help. Coach Ward was a pretty neat old guy.

could also drink with the best of them :thumbsup:

I spent a short time working with Klatt's dad (I doubt he would remember me) and was very impressed. He was a guy who was very emotional and put himself completely into what he did but based it on a very solid set of values. If Joel is anything like his dad, and I get the impression that he is, then he is not a guy who is going to settle for less than the best effort possible.

When at Pomona Gary Klatt had a number of good players including Derek West and Bryan Dyet who were both multi-year starters. Also coming to CU from him were Jack Tipton, Dave Hestera (via Wyoming). Mike Marquez and Justin Bates may have also played for him but I'm not sure for them.

Joel may hide it well for the sake of journalism by he is a Buff through and through. He knows football and as much as posible for anyone who is not a coach knows coaching.

Biekert went to Longmont, Irwin to Boulder High.

poser.

Edit: it would appear that you've already been corrected. Several times in fact.

you're still a poser.
Let me pose something to you. POSE THIS, MOTHER ****ER! :finger::lol:

Maybe someone at the physics department should have explained why taking the handoff in motion is preferable to taking the handoff while standing still. Would be like the good ol' days when Hawkins would jive over metaphysics and the what not with the Colorado faculty.

Maybe someone at the physics department should have explained why taking the handoff in motion is preferable to taking the handoff while standing still. Would be like the good ol' days when Hawkins would jive over metaphysics and the what not with the Colorado faculty.

Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest.
Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion.
Therefore, if you want to move the ball, it's best to start in motion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acpJty6sZM"]YouTube - conceptual physics Demo of Inertia[/ame]

Reactions: aik
yeah, but having your guy in motion needs to be going against the right defense in order to work. I know, that's a "thank you captain obvious" type of comment, but I just state that to show that Klatt's comments aren't so genius.

I wasn't trying to bag on Klatt. I've heard elsewhere he was a stand up guy. I first heard about him my senior year, and a player told me that he's good and will probably win the job. Sure, he was a decent player. But, I don't hold him in HIGH REGARD. He played, did okay, and apparently is a decent person. That can be said about a lot of players. Unfortunately, athletes in general are graded depending on their performance, and then as a person. Klatt - average. In that idiotic poll that was about best CU qb of all time - I agreed with all the posters that said Klatt in no way belongs in the top five. Sure, he's better than people we have now, but that's not saying a lot.

was Detmer really ever a superstar QB?

personally, i dont put him in near the class that i put hagan and stewart. i cant comment about BA.

one thing is for sure, Detmer never had the supporting cast that hagan and stewart had. the '89/90 and '94 teams were way better than anything detemer ever had.

i have just never thought of detmer being all that great. didnt hessler have more and bigger wins than detmer? think vs #3 aTm.

i know detmer lit up Wisconsin in madison in '95 but, i dont remember much after that.

Detmer was the QB who beat A&M in 95; he hurt his knee after we scored the touchdown that took the lead. F*cking astroturf.

It wasn't Detmer's fault that we had 20 penalties against Michigan in 96, or that a TD pass was dropped against NU in 96, or that he missed the Nebraska game in 95.

Hessler beat Oklahoma when Schnellenberger shot his mouth off, but apart from that Hessler didn't play that well as the starter.

Detmer was the QB who beat A&M in 95; he hurt his knee after we scored the touchdown that took the lead. F*cking astroturf.

It wasn't Detmer's fault that we had 20 penalties against Michigan in 96, or that a TD pass was dropped against NU in 96, or that he missed the Nebraska game in 95.

Hessler beat Oklahoma when Schnellenberger shot his mouth off, but apart from that Hessler didn't play that well as the starter.

on the bolded part. you are wrong on that. detmer blew out his knee on a play that did not involve a td. JH came in and they kicked a FG on that drive.

the next drive, hessler, on a play action pass, hit a CU WR (cant remember who) deep down to about the two or something. ran it in for a TD one or two plays later.

im not sure when the lead was taken for CU in that game but, i can assure you, hessler won that game vs aTm. im about 99% sure that KD was out mid way thought the 2nd qrtr.

well, there was also some damn good choaching on RN's part. making aTm burn two time outs on a fake FG "look" was great and ment a great deal in the end of the game.

Since when? I'm definitely not part of that crowd, and I know quite a few others that think he was one of the most overrated quarterbacks ever. He had a great first game, but then... I don't hate on him like I do some of our other former players (not going to say who), but I definitely don't think the overall sentiment about Klatt is one of "damn high regard."

Joel didnt have the best supporting cast as I remember it. There were some good players but not really anyone exceptional except Mr. Model Boy and Snow Skier.

That says more about the dearth of talent we have experienced at QB since Detmer left than it does about Klatt.

It also says something about the quality of coaching and the ability to recruit. :rolleyes:

where were Ted Johnson and C Brown from? damn, we had some linebackers back in the day. I really like Major and Rippy though, great ability.

Both came from cali.

I always liked Klatt.

im not sure when the lead was taken for CU in that game but, i can assure you, hessler won that game vs aTm. im about 99% sure that KD was out mid way thought the 2nd qrtr.

You are correct about KD was out in the 2nd quarter. Hessler did a great job in that game ... and through the rest of that season ... we did go 10-2 after all ... losing only to KU and NU at home (KU finished in the Top Ten that year, as id we, and that NU team was IMO and others to be the best CFB team EVAR. In fact in the last year of the Big 8, the conference had four teams finish in the Top Ten: NU, CU, KU, and KSU).

We then womped on Oregon in the Cotton Bowl. KD didn't return until the next season IIRC.

And the winning score in the A&M game was a pass from Hessler to Tennyson McCarty ... may God rest his (apparently tortured) soul. :sad1:

Last edited:
Yes, I also hold Joel Klatt in high regard. Although I haven't met him, my observations of him on and off the field leave me impressed. I feel bad for him because I think he did not properly recover from a shoulder injury and that hindered his abilities. I think it led Watson to call a dink/dunk offense that just frustrated me. That coupled with Watson abandoning the I-formation for the one back running game that didn't work very well caused me to criticize Watson's offense a lot.

Nevertheless, Joel is a first class guy.
Joel takes after his dad, complete class. One of the best people I have ever had the opportunity to know.

I spent a short time working with Klatt's dad (I doubt he would remember me) and was very impressed. He was a guy who was very emotional and put himself completely into what he did but based it on a very solid set of values. If Joel is anything like his dad, and I get the impression that he is, then he is not a guy who is going to settle for less than the best effort possible.

When at Pomona Gary Klatt had a number of good players including Derek West and Bryan Dyet who were both multi-year starters. Also coming to CU from him were Jack Tipton, Dave Hestera (via Wyoming). Mike Marquez and Justin Bates may have also played for him but I'm not sure for them.

Joel may hide it well for the sake of journalism by he is a Buff through and through. He knows football and as much as posible for anyone who is not a coach knows coaching.
Gary was Michael Marquez & Donnie Deluzio's DC. Ed Kintz was HC. Dave Hestera is older than us and I'm not sure if Gary was part of his coaching staff. I believe Dave was the first Pomona pro.

Back