What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What do you do about HC if you're RG?

If you were RG, what would you do with the HC situation?

• Nothing. MacIntyre is back in 2016.

• Put feelers out. If you can land a name coach, you do. Otherwise, Mac is back in 2016.

• Fire MacIntyre. Time for a change because this isn't working.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Torn between A and B. I think there could be negative consequences putting feelers out if nothing comes of it. Also, the odds of putting feelers out and finding "the guy" is slim. I'll vote A.

I think the odds of a change are 50-50. If RG can upgrade, I think he has to do it. Trying to sell next season to ticket buyers, without a change, is going to be a very difficult. I don't envy RG either way but I trust that he has all options on the table.

Do your due diligence. If say a Les Miles get fired and wants a slower paced retirement gig as a coach, make a move, but otherwise, I think Mac is your guy.

Sure, we'd like to see more progress, but remember the sorry state this team was in when HCMM took over. After Embree the team was absolutely stripped of talent. We had a lot of flaky players that didn't pan out. Under HCMM we've started to right the ship. We've got a strong core of dependable role players, but we lack star power. It's hard to get stars when the team sucks, and we're gradually getting over the hump. Mike MacIntyre will get us there, it just takes time.

Spruce is the only major impact senior we're going to lose and everyone else will get a year older, stronger and wiser.

I understand why most people voted for the middle option. But its clear mac isnt the guy. He isnt good at managing games. His recruiting has been suspect at best. Most of hires have been so-so to terrible. None of that is going to get significantly better.

And Id rather make a change now with the small recruiting class than go through this a year from now.

I understand why most people voted for the middle option. But its clear mac isnt the guy. He isnt good at managing games. His recruiting has been suspect at best. Most of hires have been so-so to terrible. None of that is going to get significantly better.

And Id rather make a change now with the small recruiting class than go through this a year from now.
Very good points

The last 3 or so games have really made me question HCMM's leadership. I know he has gone through some personal issues, but as HC, he needs to be able to put those out-of-mind. The fact that we are hoping that true freshman can come in and make a difference makes me doubt his player development. If RG decides to part ways, I won't be disappointed.

My pie in the sky wish would be Les Miles.

My realistic option is give Leavitt the job

Makes no sense to me to keep Macintyre and just hope that things will get better, while we are consistently falling further behind the rest of the Pac 12 in recruiting talent.

I would feel a whole lot better if I knew what the end goal for MM supporters actually is, because it sure seems like it constantly shifts.

I would imagine MacIntyre is very aware he needs to make changes.
We would hope.....but I am not certain. I think back to a recent interview where he made it clear how bad the situation was when he arrived (absolutely true). I think he believes he has a plan that will miraculously come together within the next few years...

No. You would not feel "a whole lot better."

Actually, I would. All I ever hear are references to 2012 and no real talk about what the goals are going forward. Even MacIntyre himself passed off the talk of a bowl game during the preseason in a bull**** way.

Actually, I would. All I ever hear are references to 2012 and no real talk about what the goals are going forward. Even MacIntyre himself passed off the talk of a bowl game during the preseason in a bull**** way.
I think the "end goal" of people who support him is to see things turn around and win. What do you think their end goal is? I'm not seeing an overwhelming show of support, just those who are torn between making a change and going back to the drawing board as opposed to developing some stability in the program. Its a tough call no matter how you lean. Arguments can be made both ways.

I think due dilligence is the word. You don´t fire MM for the sake of it, but it certainly can´t hurt to put the feelers out.

I think the "end goal" of people who support him is to see things turn around and win. What do you think their end goal is? I'm not seeing an overwhelming show of support, just those who are torn between making a change and going back to the drawing board as opposed to developing some stability in the program. Its a tough call no matter how you lean. Arguments can be made both ways.

Define "turn things around and win".

Remember Hawkins? We kept him around longer than we should have. That didn't work out very well.

I would feel a whole lot better if I knew what the end goal for MM supporters actually is, because it sure seems like it constantly shifts.

I feel like it's been covered at length in other places, but I think the hope (and at this point that hope is tougher to defend) is that MM is a guy who can take inferior talent and get us to 6-7 wins. Then, the hope is that moving the needle in the wins column helps inferior recruiters win a few more recruiting battles to sprinkle in more Fields, Watts, Huntley types who can push that number up to 8-9 wins and an occasional run at a conference championship. Benchmark for getting to that intermediate level of success was this season, though some are willing to give him one more to get there. There's an awful lot of "hoping" in that scenario, but I think that about sums it up.

I can't imagine MacIntyre being the coach in 2017 without a bowl appearance in 2016.

If RG believe that this is the guy, I can suck it up and be more patient. But there's a limit.

By "end goal" I mean, what constitutes turning it around? Making bowl games going forward? Or is it going beyond 6-7 wins a year? If it is the former, I have no issue giving MacIntyre at least two more years (seriously). If not, everything needs to be on the table, including firing him even if the Buffs win 6 next season.

He's got to go, hopefully you can hire a big name otherwise give it to Levitt. He maybe able to hire some recruiters on offense, what he and Tumpkin have done in Florida is nothing short of amazing compared to what we have seen lately. Their are coaches that are good recruiters it's all about the Jimmy's and Joe's

Being patient is really difficult. Human nature is to chuck it and start over. That is not always the answer. That is why RG gets paid the big bucks. Most of us would fail, big time, as athletic directors.

Being patient is really difficult. Human nature is to chuck it and start over. That is not always the answer. That is why RG gets paid the big bucks. Most of us would fail, big time, as athletic directors.

Most athletic directors fail as athletic directors. Mike Bohn keeps getting rehired.

By "end goal" I mean, what constitutes turning it around? Making bowl games going forward? Or is it going beyond 6-7 wins a year? If it is the former, I have no issue giving MacIntyre at least two more years (seriously). If not, everything needs to be on the table, including firing him even if the Buffs win 6 next season.
My goal is to be a perennial top 20/25 program who competes for the Pac 12 championship with an occasional shot at the National Championship playoff. My goal is to have a top 20 recruiting class year in and year out. And, yeah, I don't know if Mac can get us to that level. We're in a real Catch-22, aren't we? I suppose RG has to decide whether he believes Mac can meet his goals or not.

Keep MacIntyre. He has built a family environment. His players play hard and they live and breath the 4F's that coach has built his foundation upon. MacIntyre is a good man. Coaching is a high turnover business so keep MacIntyre and his assistants to give them stability for themselves and their families. This program is so far ahead of 2012. Embree was the low point so we need to keep MacIntyre.

MM seemed to treat the job like he was assured of 4 or 5 years. He stopped the attrition and changed the team culture, but in doing so he kept many non-contributors on the roster. He didn't burn redshirts willy-nilly like some had in the past. We should've won more this year and that's concerning. We have to reach a new plateau of a bowl game next season and stay on that plateau (or rise) in the 2 seasons after. After that we should expect to play in Pac 12 championship games.

The one thing that jumps out at me was MM firing the DC and hiring Leavitt. That move meant a lot, we haven't had a coach like that since Mac. Barnett and Hawkins would keep deadwood on the staff forever. Yes, you can point to Neinas, but let's see what happens this off season and a ST coach is way less important than a coordinator.

Unless RG has a handshake agreement with a coach who has won big in a Power 5 conference (I'm looking at you Les Miles) then MM is our best option for next season.

Back