What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What do you do about HC if you're RG?

If you were RG, what would you do with the HC situation?

• Nothing. MacIntyre is back in 2016.

• Put feelers out. If you can land a name coach, you do. Otherwise, Mac is back in 2016.

• Fire MacIntyre. Time for a change because this isn't working.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a couple of martinis deep, watching an exciting Stanford / Notre Dame game that matters and now I want a new coach. May change my mind tomorrow, but today...Fire!

Remember Hawkins? We kept him around longer than we should have. That didn't work out very well.
It's more complex than that. Mike Leach won 3 games last year in his 3rd year and they were getting worse. He fired a coordinator.

HCMM has to be ready to make changes and I'd have a discussion with him as well as some of his assistants.

Our D got so much better this year despite losing 2 key guys in Tupou and Gillam.

Our offense made huge strides in 2014 and didn't lose much in 2015 yet went backward.

My stated goal has always been continuous improvement. There's some red flags now and RG needs to assess the situation.

If Leavitt is going to interview for jobs that may impact my direction as well.

It's more complex than that. Mike Leach won 3 games last year in his 3rd year and they were getting worse. He fired a coordinator.

HCMM has to be ready to make changes and I'd have a discussion with him as well as some of his assistants.

Our D got so much better this year despite losing 2 key guys in Tupou and Gillam.

Our offense made huge strides in 2014 and didn't lose much in 2015 yet went backward.

My stated goal has always been continuous improvement. There's some red flags now and RG needs to assess the situation.

If Leavitt is going to interview for jobs that may impact my direction as well.
And the cracks are showing for the Mac fan boys

A good CEO looks at comparative situations and what's worked.

Study what programs have done to take a joke of a program to success. Find comparable situations where a program was down for a long time. Is it a 3 year deal? Are we behind a reasonable expectation? Are we on track?

Who are those comparative programs?

I think Walters has gotten a pass. Truthfully, WR coaches are a dime a dozen. If he stays or leaves, oh well.

Key recruiting spot. WRs are born. Jan & The Frosh will need to have a big impact next year because I don't see any talent so far.

I went with the middle but am much closer to cutting ties than just saying Mac should be here for 16. The next recruiting class and the fact I do not think he can get it done anymore are the driving factors. I find it hard to believe he will not be able to make an upgrade

If we keep him, which I assume we will, his only real hope for improvement is RFr Montez? And that's assuming we don't lose Leavitt or Tumpkin (seemingly our best coaches and recruiters).

Doesn't sound like a great plan for success...

Okay, so Miles isn't coming despite that circus put on by LSU, so is there a coach out there that is gettable that folks would consider a clear upgrade? The only name that jumps out at me is Mullen, though from rumors it sounds like he getting close to an agreement from Maryland. If he'll consider the Maryland job you'd have to think he at least consider this job, particularly now that the facilities are done. Other than that maybe an NFL name. I just don't see us being willing to spend what it would take to lure away a successful P5 coach into a position that has been a career killer for the last decade.

Okay, so Miles isn't coming despite that circus put on by LSU, so is there a coach out there that is gettable that folks would consider a clear upgrade? The only name that jumps out at me is Mullen, though from rumors it sounds like he getting close to an agreement from Maryland. If he'll consider the Maryland job you'd have to think he at least consider this job, particularly now that the facilities are done. Other than that maybe an NFL name. I just don't see us being willing to spend what it would take to lure away a successful P5 coach into a position that has been a career killer for the last decade.
Richt would be an upgrade. Jeff Tedford, who is in the Canadian wastelands, is out there. Yeah, there are upgrades out there, can we get them? IDK.....

If you can get a Mark richt or chip kelly then I say do it otherwise you give Mm another year or 2

This is simple. Do you fire your head coach that is clearly struggling?

Is there someone out there that would take the job that you believe can change the velocity of improvement at a price you can stomach? If yes, make the change. If no hen stay where you are and support your guy as best you can.

Done

Ask Bill McCartney.

Why don't you ask McCartney about his recruiting chops....he will tell you that he was retained after year 3 because he was recruiting very well - he has said so publically. McCartney was considered the top recruiting Assistant in the country when he was at Michigan.

Why don't you ask McCartney about his recruiting chops....he will tell you that he was retained after year 3 because he was recruiting very well - he has said so publically. McCartney was considered the top recruiting Assistant in the country when he was at Michigan.
And that is the difference between the two....HCMM is not recruiting at a level that will get us out of the sewer, and the theory we will win our way out of the bottom, then bring in recruits is an epic fail.

Richt & Staff would be an upgrade in all Western USA recruiting territories, although his staff has little established west of the Rockies, outside of LA and shoe contracts - but those can be powerful forces. I think they'd be a juggernaut as a recruiting force with their "we know how to develop NFL players" history. Of course, would their personalities and 'chew' translate to the Calif kids? If Hawkins can snag Darrell Scott, why can't Richt start piling up even more on his first venture?

One thing Colorado might consider doing is answering that "goals" question. Is CU happy with 6-7-8 win seasons as their penultimate goal? Then MM might be their guy - he's almost certainly going to vault from 2-3-4 wins into that lofty 6-7 win category in the next 6 seasons.

I'd think a coaching staff like Richt & Co would find Boulder a great recruitment location, and with far fewer strong competitors for Calif recruits than SEC has for their territory's prime recruiting grounds. I think it'd be easier for a strong coaching staff to play for national championships at CU than, say, anywhere but 'Bama. (I would have said the same about Urban Meyers at Florida too but, wow, what a snakepit that turned out to be.)

I think we need to keep MM as well. However, the school is going to have to be comfortable with that decision. With that decision, it means that we are going to have to fight to get to 6 wins next year, low attendance at games, and no real bump in excitement. Overall our program is not elite and was only elite for about 10 years. We think that we are an awesome program, but nobody else really does. So...keeping MM and being ok with the ultimate goal of 7-6 wins a year and beating CSU most of the time is about as good as it gets.

I think we need to keep MM as well. However, the school is going to have to be comfortable with that decision. With that decision, it means that we are going to have to fight to get to 6 wins next year, low attendance at games, and no real bump in excitement. Overall our program is not elite and was only elite for about 10 years. We think that we are an awesome program, but nobody else really does. So...keeping MM and being ok with the ultimate goal of 7-6 wins a year and beating CSU most of the time is about as good as it gets.

6-7 wins and beating CSU regularly is not the ceiling of this program

If you were honestly ranking the PAC12 coaches, where would you rank MacIntyre? I put him 12th (or 11th since USC does not have a coach). No one thinks we have the ability to pick up an improvement over 12th place in a 12 team conference.

Lost in the shuffle a bit is that this was a bad year to blow it because of the favorability of the OOC schedule. We had four OOC games that we should have won (we won 3). Looking forward to the next 5-10 years, we have one season (2017) with 3 favorable OOC games and the rest with 1 or 2. Getting to X number of wins is going to be harder in future years than it was this year -- significantly -- because of (1) the extra OOC game (2) the quality of OOC opponents. We play at least one strong OOC opponent (i.e. P5) every other year for which there are games scheduled and in many of them we play 2.

Overall our program is not elite and was only elite for about 10 years. We think that we are an awesome program, but nobody else really does.
What's your definition of "elite" and "awesome?" If by elite you mean "regularly ranked in the top 10 and competing for national championships," then I'll grant the point, we're not "elite," and only were for about 10 years (plus one or two years here and there at various points).

But if you define awesome as frequently ranked, regularly competing for conference championships, and have players competing for national individual awards, and you think we only had that for ten years, you desperately need a history lesson.

How many message boards across the nation just switched form the assumption they are getting Les to the assumption they are getting Richt?

I see news from multiple programs today getting rid of assistants after sub-par seasons. So far from Boulder: crickets.

Back