What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What do you do about HC if you're RG?

If you were RG, what would you do with the HC situation?

• Nothing. MacIntyre is back in 2016.

• Put feelers out. If you can land a name coach, you do. Otherwise, Mac is back in 2016.

• Fire MacIntyre. Time for a change because this isn't working.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Having slept on it, I've come around to the fire him camp. His recruiting isn't acceptable. I don't see us progressing as fast as the first year staff from OSU. I don't see more than five wins next year. His loyalty to Neinas is a fundamental flaw. We've had a good thing going with P Rich to Spruce which I believe he ended with a selfish scholarship. For me, his strengths don't overcome this list of issues. He's better than Embree or Hawk, but he is not recruiting at the pac 12 level and was too late making the changes needed to address this. The fact that I feel like WSU has passed us was the final nail.

Last edited:
Having slept on it, I've come around to the fire him camp. His recruiting isn't acceptable. I don't see us progressing as fast as the first year staff from OSU. I don't see more than five wins next year. His loyalty to Neinas is a fundamental flaw. We've had a good thing going with P Rich to Spruce which I believe he ended with a selfish scholarship. For me, his strengths don't overcome this list of issues. He's better than EmbreEmbree or Hawk, but he is not recruiting at the pac 12 level and was too late making the changes needed to address this.
Go back to bed.

Here's my take on it from the "keep MM perspective" (note that I chose option 2) - realism.

If Miles was fired, do you really think he would have come here right away? If he had, wouldn't you wonder why? The only reason that comes to mind is that he would want a job where he could go golfing 4x a week. Is that the coach we really want, no matter the name?

Same goes for Richt. Why would he come here, and what kind of effort would he put in?

I'm not saying either guy is a loser or a loafer, but they've been coaching in the SEC, in places where college football is the unquestioned king, at schools that are all in on winning. What are they going to say about coming into Boulder? "Oh, what pretty mountains"? "Hey, nice facilities"? It's sure as hell not going to be, "I think we can win 9 games next year with the talent we have on the roster". Call me skeptical, but I'm not sure Mark Richt is going to jump immediately from what he had at UGA to our cluster**** of a program.

So instead we're stuck with the mid-major HC or the hot coordinator, and hoping he's the right guy. Great.

Macintyre has a 2-27 conf record and even those two wins came against teams that were a combined 0-18 in conf. The best win he's had here in three seasons was against a Mountain West team that finished 7-6. For those interested in improvement that win also came in his first game as our coach.

Fire the bum.

Yes we'll probably be better next year, but we're still not going to be very good and then what after our huge senior class graduates? Based on what we've seen to this point does anyone really think Macintyre is "the guy." Would you be happy with him as our coach not just next season but for many seasons to come? If not why delay the inevitable?

By the way the SJSU program that supposedly "built-up" and infused with talent hasn't been very good since he left. In six seasons since he got that job that 2012 season was their only bowl appearance.

He took over a tough job here and certainly no one was expecting him to work miracles but it's not at all unfair to expect him to perform better then he has, particularly after three seasons. There's been little tangible improvement under his watch (technically we actually won more conf games in less time under Embree) and I see little evidence on the field or in recruiting to believe things will get significantly better, if better at all.

"Would you be happy with him as our coach not just next season but for many seasons to come?"

If he earns it with a bowl game next year and continues to achieve that then I would. Absolutely.

"Would you be happy with him as our coach not just next season but for many seasons to come?"

If he earns it with a bowl game next year and continues to achieve that then I would. Absolutely.

Obviously.

The question however was if you would be happy with this based on what we know right now. If you do believe we're headed towards becoming a perennial bowl team I'd love to know how you reached that conclusion. And If you don't believe that we are (as most don't) then again why delay the inevitable? There's always the wait and see approach but given the likely probability that things don't work out with Macintyre I'd rather not have more wasted seasons.

Obviously.

The question however was if you would be happy with this based on what we know right now. If you do believe we're headed towards becoming a perennial bowl team I'd love to know how you reached that conclusion. And If you don't believe that we are (as most don't) then again why delay the inevitable? There's always the wait and see approach but given the likely probability that things don't work out with Macintyre I'd rather not have more wasted seasons.

The short answer is that I don't know what to expect for next season.

If MacIntyre succeeds, then RG made a great decision and HCMM may be here quite a while.

If MacIntyre fails, then we'll probably see Leavitt as the Interim HC for part of the season and then see where we go from there.

Basically, I trust Rick George. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that MacIntyre will fail in 2016 and I believe that RG is being patient because he sees the program being on a good trajectory. Otherwise he would have done what you suggest and cut bait this year.

Seems like the "fire the bum" crowd isn't putting economics into the equation.

Seems like the "fire the bum" crowd isn't putting economics into the equation.

As fans, we really shouldn't have to think or care about that. I'd like to put that thought process behind us. It's a loser's mentality. I'm so glad I don't have to hear our AD bringing up budget problems every time he speaks to the media. RG's running a balanced budget and the endowment has grown much higher than his goals. I'm done talking budget as if CU is in the poorhouse. It's not.

He took over a tough job here and certainly no one was expecting him to work miracles but it's not at all unfair to expect him to perform better then he has, particularly after three seasons. There's been little tangible improvement under his watch (technically we actually won more conf games in less time under Embree) and I see little evidence on the field or in recruiting to believe things will get significantly better, if better at all.

Complete utter stupidity. By 2012, Embree's teams were typically out of the game by the 2nd quarter. They were completely destroyed in almost every conference game. MM teams starting last year have been pretty much in it till the very end in most conference games, including some very good opponents. They took a good Utah team to the wire on the road with 3rd and 4th string QBs. To say there is little evidence of on the field improvement is total nonsense and invalidates any argument that you have.
MM's recruiting leaves a lot to be desired, but I think that given the dumpster fire he inherited, he deserves another year. If he can get this team to a bowl game and uptick the recruiting even moderately (which has started under JL) then I think he can be very successful here. If he can't get to a bowl game next year, then it is time to part ways.

I understand that 2012 was a complete and utter disaster and set this program back to square 1, but 2012 no longer matters. This is now 100% MacIntyre's team, time to put up or shut up. There are going to be some very real expectations on him and his staff starting now and he has got to meet those.

- Finish the regular season with a winning record. 7-5 going into the bowl game.
- Finish with a recruiting ranking in the top half of the conference. Shouldn't be that hard with the class size we are going to have.

At the absolute worst HCMM has to be 2-1 through OOC play. If he is 1-2 he has to be gone.

How long into the offseason was it when Baer got fired last year? That would provide comparison as to whether or not there is movement on firing Lindgren. If Mac doesn't do that, I find it difficult to see how we are any better next season.

How long into the offseason was it when Baer got fired last year? That would provide comparison as to whether or not there is movement on firing Lindgren. If Mac doesn't do that, I find it difficult to see how we are any better next season.

Baer "left" CU for UNLV on 12/21 of last year. At least that's when it was made public.

I see news from multiple programs today getting rid of assistants after sub-par seasons. So far from Boulder: crickets.
I have to assume what's going on here is the same thing that happened last year. MM is taking the time to review the situation, and put out feelers through quiet backchannels while simultaneously letting guys know that they should start looking. I believe it's easier to get a job while you're still employed, and that's what MM is letting these guys do. He's probably doing it because he's a nice guy, but it also is a smart move because it probably is received positively in the coaching community, which is a smaller community than one might think.

Complete utter stupidity. By 2012, Embree's teams were typically out of the game by the 2nd quarter. They were completely destroyed in almost every conference game. MM teams starting last year have been pretty much in it till the very end in most conference games, including some very good opponents. They took a good Utah team to the wire on the road with 3rd and 4th string QBs. To say there is little evidence of on the field improvement is total nonsense and invalidates any argument that you have.
MM's recruiting leaves a lot to be desired, but I think that given the dumpster fire he inherited, he deserves another year. If he can get this team to a bowl game and uptick the recruiting even moderately (which has started under JL) then I think he can be very successful here. If he can't get to a bowl game next year, then it is time to part ways.
As long as we use 2012 as our measuring stick, CU football will always be successful.

As long as we use 2012 as our measuring stick, CU football will always be successful.
Who said anything about using 2012 as our ongoing measuring stick? Read his post very carefully. He stated that there has been little tangible improvement on the field since the Embree era. That was a direct reference to 2012, Embree's last year. When trying to make a cogent argument, please be sure that the point your are making actually applies to what your are referencing.

Getting to a bowl game next year would be even more impressive considering Bohn's genius scheduling at Michigan, and a tough away conference schedule. We need to be rock solid at home to get to 4 conference wins. I'll be thoroughly impressed if we do it, but my concern is that we WONT and then get stuck with a first year coach in cupcake 2017. CU absolutely cannot afford to miss a bowl in 2017.

Is the 2nd Amendment really an "individual" right as opposed to a "collective" right?

https://riversong.wordpress.com/the-real-second-amendment/

second-amendment.jpg

Thomas Jefferson's own Virginia confiscated weapons after the Revolutionary War and stored them in state armories.

That aligns with the following:

“In late-eighteenth-century parlance, bearing arms was a term of art with an obvious military and legal connotation. … As a review of the Library of Congress’s data base of congressional proceedings in the revolutionary and early national periods reveals, the thirty uses of ‘bear arms’ and ‘bearing arms’ in bills, statutes, and debates of the Continental, Confederation, and United States’ Congresses between 1774 and 1821 invariably occur in a context exclusively focused on the army or the militia.” – H. Richard Uviller & William G. Merkel (2003), The Militia and the Right to Arms, Or, How the second Amendment Fell Silent

The term to “bear arms” comes from the Latin “arma ferre“, which means to carry military weapons into battle. To “keep arms” meant to stock them in armories. And “the people” referred to the collective population, not to individuals. The Framers clearly understood the use of these terms.
Uh, wrong board, maybe? If not may I begin my treatise on the benefits of organic gardeninig....

Is the 2nd Amendment really an "individual" right as opposed to a "collective" right?

https://riversong.wordpress.com/the-real-second-amendment/

second-amendment.jpg

Thomas Jefferson's own Virginia confiscated weapons after the Revolutionary War and stored them in state armories.

That aligns with the following:

“In late-eighteenth-century parlance, bearing arms was a term of art with an obvious military and legal connotation. … As a review of the Library of Congress’s data base of congressional proceedings in the revolutionary and early national periods reveals, the thirty uses of ‘bear arms’ and ‘bearing arms’ in bills, statutes, and debates of the Continental, Confederation, and United States’ Congresses between 1774 and 1821 invariably occur in a context exclusively focused on the army or the militia.” – H. Richard Uviller & William G. Merkel (2003), The Militia and the Right to Arms, Or, How the second Amendment Fell Silent

The term to “bear arms” comes from the Latin “arma ferre“, which means to carry military weapons into battle. To “keep arms” meant to stock them in armories. And “the people” referred to the collective population, not to individuals. The Framers clearly understood the use of these terms.
I did not see that as one of the options on the poll.

Wildcard.

Who said anything about using 2012 as our ongoing measuring stick? Read his post very carefully. He stated that there has been little tangible improvement on the field since the Embree era. That was a direct reference to 2012, Embree's last year. When trying to make a cogent argument, please be sure that the point your are making actually applies to what your are referencing.
I accept that J-R-K is an idot but your post references improvement over 2012 as a reason to keep MacIntyre another year. We're better than 2012 is not a reason to keep him. We improved over last year would be better but it's hard to make that argument.

Back