What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What do you do about HC if you're RG?

If you were RG, what would you do with the HC situation?

• Nothing. MacIntyre is back in 2016.

• Put feelers out. If you can land a name coach, you do. Otherwise, Mac is back in 2016.

• Fire MacIntyre. Time for a change because this isn't working.

Results are only viewable after voting.
If HCMM (supported by RG of course) makes very bold moves to fix the offense and ST I think he and a determined senior class can get us there. QB and OL have to be much improved as well, and defense has to continue to get better, or at least not regress. I will be very disappointed if the staff stays intact. Honestly if Neinas is retained I am probably not renewing season tickets, as that is a sign of utter disregard of job performance.

I accept that J-R-K is an idot but your post references improvement over 2012 as a reason to keep MacIntyre another year. We're better than 2012 is not a reason to keep him. We improved over last year would be better but it's hard to make that argument.
I think it is important to note that while 2012 is no benchmark for success, it is also important to note the absolute depths that Colorado fell to. This fix is not an overnight project and MM has done enough in my opinion to warrant a fourth year where conventional wisdom states that coaches should be able to get a full recruiting cycle into the program to gauge their job performance.

Anyway, it is a moot point. MM will be back next year.

If HCMM (supported by RG of course) makes very bold moves to fix the offense and ST I think he and a determined senior class can get us there. QB and OL have to be much improved as well, and defense has to continue to get better, or at least not regress. I will be very disappointed if the staff stays intact. Honestly if Neinas is retained I am probably not renewing season tickets, as that is a sign of utter disregard of job performance.

I wonder if an E-mail to RGs office stating this would have any impact. Ultimately it will and should be M2's decision but feedback from the AD's office might make him a little more willing to do what is needed.

Complete utter stupidity. By 2012, Embree's teams were typically out of the game by the 2nd quarter. They were completely destroyed in almost every conference game. MM teams starting last year have been pretty much in it till the very end in most conference games, including some very good opponents. They took a good Utah team to the wire on the road with 3rd and 4th string QBs. To say there is little evidence of on the field improvement is total nonsense and invalidates any argument that you have.
MM's recruiting leaves a lot to be desired, but I think that given the dumpster fire he inherited, he deserves another year. If he can get this team to a bowl game and uptick the recruiting even moderately (which has started under JL) then I think he can be very successful here. If he can't get to a bowl game next year, then it is time to part ways.

While I suppose the phrase "tangible improvement" is up for interpretation in this instance I was primarily referring to wins (which Macintyre obviously hasn't brought).

Yes we're certainly more competitive under Macintyre, that being said for all the talk about his close loses I'll point out that In Embree's two seasons we had then exact same number of one-possession losses (5) as we did in Macintyre's first two seasons.

As others have pointed out simply stating that we're better then we were under Embree should hardly be a complimentary evaluation of Macintyre, particularly after three seasons. We still stink and again from a W/L perspective really aren't any better.

Last edited:
MM's teams have very visibly improved over the last mess(es). The guy is a good coach and would do really well elsewhere with good players. It's just so damn hard to recruit to Colorado right now. If CU fires MM, don't expect any improvement. MM and Rick G both took really ****ty jobs, and I'm sure they both realize it by now.

MM's teams have very visibly improved over the last mess(es). The guy is a good coach and would do really well elsewhere with good players. It's just so damn hard to recruit to Colorado right now. If CU fires MM, don't expect any improvement. MM and Rick G both took really ****ty jobs, and I'm sure they both realize it by now.
They were both well aware of the ****tyness of CU when they accepted their positions.

They were both well aware of the ****tyness of CU when they accepted their positions.

Not so sure about that, especially with MM. No amount of money could make up for this bull****. At least if it was me. But the lack of due diligence is on him at the end of the day, I guess. It would be like signing on with Kansas.

I'm thinking that in a perfect world he would like to re-wind and stay at San Jose State. Don't these mid-major guys know that they're are ALWAYS going to be offered the Idiot-Stick Dumpster Fire Jobs? WTF. I really feel bad for the guy.

Man, the perception on these boards of Mike MacIntyre as a football professional continues to be unreasonably poor.

With MacIntyre (and Leavitt) what we're seeing is the standard way fans treat QB1 (and backup) when the team is losing.

The inverse of that is that if the team starts winning then it flips quickly and MacIntyre becomes legendary.

And that will be when? MM inherited a Big Sky/MWC Lite roster and can't dig himself out of the hole. MM might have become successful if he had gone to a 7-5 team struggling to become a 10-2 team. But he signed on here and pretty much resigned himself later in life, if lucky, to being an NFL assistant or a MAC/MWC Co-Ordinater. Very very bad career move coming here. Again, a huge due diligence failure on his part IMO. But I generally like the guy and wish him the best.

And that will be when? MM inherited a Big Sky/MWC Lite roster and can't dig himself out of the hole. MM might have become successful if he had gone to a 7-5 team struggling to become a 10-2 team. But he signed on here and pretty much resigned himself later in life, if lucky, to being an NFL assistant or a MAC/MWC Co-Ordinater. Very very bad career move coming here. Again, a huge due diligence failure on his part IMO. But I generally like the guy and wish him the best.

He'd tell you that's what people told him when he took the SJSU job. Maybe he knows what he's doing.

He'd tell you that's what people told him when he took the SJSU job. Maybe he knows what he's doing.

It will be very interesting to see how next year plays out. I, for one, think that MM has made some noticeable strides here, and done so with some very hard work. Is he capable of taking the next step and making us relevant again? I think so....But I don't feel strong conviction in that opinion. But I hope so, and I'm rooting for him to turn the corner next year. Only partially because I like the guy, but mostly because I so badly want to see the Buffs win some meaningful games again.

I personally think it will happen....and will buy tickets again to be there and see if I am right or wrong.

Go Buffs

after many beers ...i have seen the light... mm has my continued support.....just get a new st coach pleeeeez

It will be very interesting to see how next year plays out. I, for one, think that MM has made some noticeable strides here, and done so with some very hard work. Is he capable of taking the next step and making us relevant again? I think so....But I don't feel strong conviction in that opinion. But I hope so, and I'm rooting for him to turn the corner next year. Only partially because I like the guy, but mostly because I so badly want to see the Buffs win some meaningful games again.

I personally think it will happen....and will buy tickets again to be there and see if I am right or wrong.

Go Buffs
The Buffs have definitely incrementally improved under MM. The problem is we continue to finish last in the conference in recruiting, and this class won't change that - even if it weren't a small class, it's the same mix of 2-3 star guys. Tough to play from behind like that.

Stop ****ting on our university to promote your agenda to defend our current coach. You said a few posts above this one that "it's so damn hard to recruit to Colorado right now". Oregon State is the worst Power 5 team in the country by projections for next year and they are kicking ass in recruiting. They have no advantages that we don't have, except a better coach.

The Buffs have definitely incrementally improved under MM. The problem is we continue to finish last in the conference in recruiting, and this class won't change that - even if it weren't a small class, it's the same mix of 2-3 star guys. Tough to play from behind like that.

For CU to turn it around they need to get a HC that can recruit. Period.

I am not talking about getting a guy in here that will pull in 4 stars and 5 stars from day one. I am talking about getting a guy that can pull in high 3's that are skilled enough to be offered by other P5 programs. MM has proven he is not that guy. He has a couple guys that were recruited well enough and the rest are a bunch of projects. You can build a team of projects at SJSU but not in the Pac.

It is great to have a large junior and senior class next year, as MM likes to point out, but when the other teams are more talented it does not matter what year they are. What matters is that they are not good enough to compete in Pac.

This continues to be the argument against MM. "Incremental improvement with substandard recruiting is just not going to get it done....so let's move on"

I think this is a far too simplistic way to look at the scope of his time here and fails to recognize the full picture of his tenure here. I have to ask, incremental improvement in what? Wins? No, he essential has maintained the same record that his two predecessors had. Same could be said for the substandard recruiting argument with the exception of one class for each Embree and Hawkins.

Let's take a step back and relook at what was here when MM arrived. First and foremost, the program had a history of losing, and that's why we hired a new coach...was to fix that. But why were we losing? Here is my list of reasons as viewed by an outsider.

Historically poor recruiting classes
Substandard facilities
A wholly divided team
Youth across the board
Significant holes in the depth chart
A track record of significant attrition
A fully ingrained losing mentality
A lack of mental toughness

I would argue that MM came in and tried to get "his house in order" first. To me, he's done a pretty damn good job of that. He has "fixed" a large portion of the above issues....and the university has supported him by FINALLY building a legitimate P5 facility. It doesn't show up in the win/loss column, but given where we were, I view the progress as more than "incremental improvement"....those are significant issues to overcome.

The table is set, and MM needs to translate the foundation he has built into a winning record. Win games, new facilities...recruiting will drastically improve and we'll all be praising MM for turning this thing around "the right way". He needs to fix some "issues" on his coaching staff to be sure....but I was encourage to say the least in his aptitude to do this last year on the defensive side of the ball.

Next year will be interesting and exciting to watch in my opinion. I just hope we aren't disappointed by a team that has everything in place to turn this thing around.
I know that this is probably not a popular opinion, but it's what I believe.

Last edited:
I find the dumpster fire comments interesting. He has lower rates recruiting classes than Embree or Hawk. If he had classes in the mid point of Division I, I wouldn't have concern. Embree and Hawk had retention issues, but they did a better job getting them in the door. He is recruiting on par with mid level mountain west teams. There is no way to spin that as positive.

Stop ****ting on our university to promote your agenda to defend our current coach. You said a few posts above this one that "it's so damn hard to recruit to Colorado right now". Oregon State is the worst Power 5 team in the country by projections for next year and they are kicking ass in recruiting. They have no advantages that we don't have, except a better coach.
Kicking ass in recruiting is a little hyperbolic... They have a huge class this year, so their "rankings" appear better. Their avg star rating ranks 10th in the Pac 12. Take a look at facts before crowning Gary Anderson and staff recruiters of the year.

Looking at this objectively - it would have been hard to hand select 3 worse coaches who would be more destructive to this program. Hawk was a fruitcake who got exposed by real football people as a wannabe motivational speaker. Embree was not fit to lead a troop of Cub Scouts and HCMM is Dan Hawkins lite, a lightweight who got in over his head. It can't get any worse so we may as well just keep throwing **** against the wall until something sticks. Giving him the requisite 4th year is fine - but the only path forward is finally finding the coach who brings an intrinsic respect because of their natural football leadership abilities. We know they exist because other schools keep finding them.

Looking at this objectively - it would have been hard to hand select 3 worse coaches who would be more destructive to this program. Hawk was a fruitcake who got exposed by real football people as a wannabe motivational speaker. Embree was not fit to lead a troop of Cub Scouts and HCMM is Dan Hawkins lite, a lightweight who got in over his head. It can't get any worse so we may as well just keep throwing **** against the wall until something sticks. Giving him the requisite 4th year is fine - but the only path forward is finally finding the coach who brings an intrinsic respect because of their natural football leadership abilities. We know they exist because other schools keep finding them.
This is over-the-top, but I do kind of wonder if HCMM has the stomach to be a P5 coach. From my vantage, he plays waaayyyyy too much Mr. Nice Guy

This is over-the-top, but I do kind of wonder if HCMM has the stomach to be a P5 coach. From my vantage, he plays waaayyyyy too much Mr. Nice Guy
Is this a perception issue of MacIntyre or are there legitimate examples? Serious question.

Maybe I'm being a little hyperbolic - but the last time we were a respectable program was under Gary Barnett. For all of his shortcomings, at least he was respected in football circles. I'm just sick of having no faith in these coaches. I want to like Miller, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt - but common sense tells me that it's not working the way we'd hoped.

Is this a perception issue of MacIntyre or are there legitimate examples? Serious question.

Keeping Embree's last class.
Bringing his staff with him from SJ St
Keeping dead around on the staff.
Not cutting loose underachievers on the team.

Back