1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you guys think of Rippy?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by jrod212, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jrod212

jrod212 Member

Since he redshirted, We haven't been able to see him play in a game, but what do people think of him in practices? I remember being pretty excited when we got this kid last year.

2. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

The little I saw of him this fall I was impressed. He was big then, I assume he's going to be about 235-240 this year. He's going to have to fight to start this year, but should still see plenty of PT. He could play some DE on passing downs like Beatty and Jones did this past season.

3. jrod212

jrod212 Member

if hes up to 240 can you run fast at all? lol

4. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Should step into the role that Brad Jones played last season. The kid is built solid.

5. jrod212

jrod212 Member

oh wow nvm, ray ray is 2 dollars 50.

6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

All I know is the kid looks liek a heck of a player. I'll be looking for him at the Spring game.

7. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

i think hes gonna be real good, built like an ox.

8. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

I love Rippy--because he turned the coaches on to SPEEDY! Speedy may end up being the B12 sleeper of the 08 recruiting class assuming he can fully recover from his injury, which is a big IF in my mind.

9. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Seems like it's easier to come back from broken bones than ACL's, etc. It'll be interesting to see how far he (they all) have progressed by the time spring ball begins.

10. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

In high school Rippy played RB, QB, LB and DE per cubuffs.com so I would assume he has some mobility.

11. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

Broken legs can affect a kid's speed. You may remember a kid a while back named Jeremy Weisinger who broke his leg during power cleans, and he never got his speed back after that.

12. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

How could you tell? The sprint from the locker room to the sideline at the beginning of each half?

13. BehindEnemyLines

Not disputing ya Stampy. Any injuries can have a lasting impact on performance. The ligament and cartlidge injuries normally take longer for the player to regain their previous form. After the rehab time, it usually takes a player another year before they're fully confident on the injury.

It's the reason I was reluctant to jump with joy when MTM made it into the starting lineup last year, since he was injured his senior season. I was hoping he wouldn't reinjure the knee. Damn the bad luck.

I hope Speedy's injury is a simple break, and that he returns to form. He's a heckuva back and is really fun to watch.

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Man, JW has been getting a lot of play on the board in the past couple of days!

When I think of a leg injury robbing a CU athelete of speed, I always think back to Cedric Cormier. Ced was a FREAKIN' BURNER. Sucks for him that he was never the same after the knee injury. I think a lot of that was mental, never fully trusting that his knee was healthy after the injury, but I always wonder how good he could have been.

15. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

Good example, I forgot about him. Was OC Oliver another kid who never had his speed after an injury? Seems like he was.

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

I was at CU during the "O....C....OLIVER!" years. Good times!

I don't remember him getting hurt. But since I am getting my YouTube on today, here is an OC clip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Nkfc85kYc"]Things Have Changed![/ame]

17. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I believed he injured his other knee.

18. BehindEnemyLines

That may be true, but the point remains. It was a high-risk, high-reward move to not redshirt him. I think he could have used the year to get fully recovered and confident on the knee, jmho.

Anyway, water under the bridge. Hope he makes a real quick recovery. He's gonna be monster in the middle, and kinda reminds me of Neole - big, talented, and mean.

19. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

OC lives in Sugarland. I ran into Stoltenberg at the baseball fields and he said his son plays football with OC's kids