1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does Coach Hawkins have to do to keep his job?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffFan, Aug 25, 2009.

1. BuffFan

BuffFan Member

Before the season starts, I want to hear what people think Coach Hawkins needs to do to keep his job.
    I would love to have a 12-0 team every year, but that is unrealistic in the near future for the Buffs. However I think we can be a consistent 9-3 or 10-2 team with top 25 recruiting classes, if we get back on track. I like Coach Hawkins a lot, but bottom line is, I want to see the Buffs battling for national and Big 12 championships. I think it is safe to say that the teams that recruit in the top 25 tend to be in the top 25 every year. Recruits read the same articles we do and top recruits don’t typically want to play for teams in the bottom half of a conference. I believe Hawkins has improved our talent level since he started, but last year was a step back both in wins and recruiting. A second year of mediocrity will slow the rebuilding process to a crawl. I feel Coach Hawkins can get the job done, but I am not as patient as I once was. (I.e. Coach Mack)
    For Coach Hawkins to keep his job, given our schedule, here is my thoughts.
    For a two year extension: 7-5 with top 30 recruiting or 8-4 with top 35 recruiting, anything below those numbers I think Hawkins should go.
    For five year extension: 9-3 and top 25 or 10-2 and top 30. But 10-2 will get a top 30 class easily.
    Hawk should have the Buffs a solid 9-3 team by the end of his seventh year or be gone.

2. The Guest

The Guest Guest

fog a mirror.

3. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

As long as we go to a bowl game, he will keep his job. Even a 6-6 regular season and a bowl game will keep him employed. We like to think we have the same winning mentality as other schools but under the current administration, we really don't. We are complacent right now from a athletic administration perspective. Sad but true.

4. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Hawk goes 14-0 and he's outta here, unless CU can pony up a Saban sized contract.

5. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

atleast 8 wins(including a bowl win) or he's gone.

6. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

The AD just wants to keep its nose clean right now, and it wants to portray a positive image of its student athletes. Hawk accomplishes this goal.

That being said, he will be required to produce winning seasons with bowl appearances.

7. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

As long as he's breathing by the end of the year and there are no major scandals, he'll be back next year.

8. Kameltosis

Kameltosis Well-Known Member

I doubt the administration will burn him any time soon. They are not going to want to pay to get him out and being that CU isn't known for bleeding their team colors in football..... I doubt they'll get much 'push' to do so from the fan community.

I think Hawk has done some good things but I think his head is on a little weird when it comes to who he starts and who he benches.

For one....hawkins shouldn't be uz guyz QB. I'm not trying to be mean here but I think hawk jr. is a low level - mediocre quarterback. There is so much talent out there in the 3 star bowl im sure he coulda done a way better job.

I hope he works it out. I think he's a good coach i just dont think HE knows it yet.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I believe you're right. It's possible that a losing season (especially 4 wins or less) would cause enough booster uproar to end it for Hawkins, but I doubt it.

10. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Hawk will be here in 2010 if the buffs win 0 games or 14 games.

11. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

A bowl game will do it for Hawkins. We are not the same powerhouse of the 1990's and from a person who went to all the home games for the 1990 season, that's hard for me to say that.

Regardless of what happens, I still love the Buffs and Ralphie running down the field is just the greatest tradition in college football period.

12. Kameltosis

I dunno if you can contend with the kewl sooner schooner /sarcasm

13. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i think those of you who suggest that a 3 or 4 win season wouldn't get him fired are misguided. you vastly underestimate the pressure that bohn would get in such a circumstance from the key boosters. remember that they didn't want to run gb out the door until the ugly finish to the last season and then the boosters came up with the money and out he went.

the same thing happened to mallory (it was believed by key boosters that he couldn't take the team to the next level... unfortunately, the next level was the depths of the fairbanks era).

the Buffs have had 3 consecutive losing season in their bread and butter revenue producing sport. a 4th such season and it will be very, very hard for hawkins to get a 5th year. recruiting will be seriously impacted.

this assumption that CU has endless patience for failure as long as they keep the team out of trouble is just not the real world. sure, this isn't bama or some other power where they will blow out a coaching staff willy-nilly. but, 4 consecutive losing seasons would be, imho, the final straw.

14. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

We have boosters ? Who knew ?

15. Kameltosis

:lol:

16. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I think Bohn should be the next to be fired if a program doesn't start winning. Since he took over, he has changed staffs on all of our top money making programs and they haven't done any better than before Bohn got here.

17. Kameltosis

You make a convincing point grass-hoppa. Let's hope you're right...err....wrong ;)

18. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

yes, i agree with this. bohn's seat will be very, very hot. but, i think they may just pull the hiring decision away from bohn for the next fb coach if hawkins doesn't get it done this year rather than firing bohn. i could be wrong, of course.

19. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Hawk won't be fired next year no matter how crappy the team does next year. However, the repercussions of a truley horrible season (say 2 wins, or so) would eventually get him fired. I bet a season like that would cause derision within the program, recruiting would REALLY drop off, and the fans would be up in arms. Not good.

20. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Simoniz my car.:cool:

21. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

win more than 5 games

22. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

this thread needs a ****ing poll

23. Kameltosis

[​IMG]

24. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

you are ****ing worthless. But funny. a bit.

25. Kameltosis

:smile2:

26. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Win 7 games.

27. BuffFan

BuffFan Member

What I was trying to ask is; for you to support Hawkins to continue as the Buffs Coach what does he have to do this year and in the future?

28. GoldenBuff

GoldenBuff Club Member Club Member

I think this. However, I also think we'll go to a decent bowl this year and that all of this discussion about Hawk/Bohn getting fired is moot anyway.

29. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

7 W's.

Beat the teams the Buffs should beat (CSewe, Toledo Mudhens, Wyoming, ISU, KSU)

30. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Bohn won't be feeling any heat whatsoever, regardless of how the team performs on the field. Do any of you remember what it was like with Dick Tharp? The way the AD is run these days is a 180 degree change from back then. No longer is it a good ol boy club. Some folks probably wish we could go back to that, but not me. In order for CU to catch up with the rest of the schools in the country, some major changes needed to be made at the very top of the athletic department.

As for Hawk, if we don't win at least 8 games this year, I'll be extremely disappointed. The schedule sets up perfectly for a good season. Anything less than 8 wins, to me, signals a serious deficiency in coaching and preparation. I won't be calling for his head, but I won't be buying his jive, either.