What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What does new TV deal for Pac-12 do for the CU-CSU series long term?

The problem is that board is an absolute joke......Trying to follow a thread is just painful. A group of third graders in a welcome to computers class could put together a better message board.

Agreed but once again, it's fun pissing them off. The only argument they use is history doesn't matter.

The problem is that board is an absolute joke......Trying to follow a thread is just painful. A group of third graders in a welcome to computers class could put together a better message board.

My eyes hurt. Do you really have to click on every link to ready what people say. I get pissed enough when I have to go to a new page on here.

Another way to look at it is that the college fan support in Colorado is too fractured. The community at large doesn't rally around CU because it's selective admissions doesn't appeal to Joe six-pack. CSU doesn't appeal because Ft. Collins is an unattractive hike up I25 for most front range CSU fans, let alone the casual Donkey fan. Plus there are transplants from all over who maintain allegiances to there ancestral university roots.

When CSU's football program craters, then it concentrates the focus on a single program instead of remaining fractured amongst many. College football fans in the Centennial state would have more reason to focus on beating up schools from other states instead of engaging in a petty in-state rivalry. The sooner CSU dies, the sooner Coloradoans can rally behind a single, stronger program. Such a program would have a better chance to contend for a championship at the national level.

Prolonging CSU's slow slide into the abyss is just bad business. The writing is on the wall. CSU is dead D1 football walking.

The last one to leave Hughes, be sure to turn off the lights.

I think Florida/Florida State, Texas/A&M, Kansas/Kansas State, Arizona/Arizona State, Cal/UCLA, OU/OSU, Alabama/Auburn, Georgia/GTech, UVA/VT, Michigan/MSU, Indiana/Purdue, South Carolina/Clemson and many others have something to say about this...

:lol:

Those ****ers are too easy. I swear they live for hating on CU. Half those jackoffs probably have never even seen csu play someone other than CU.

Another way to look at it is that the college fan support in Colorado is too fractured. The community at large doesn't rally around CU because it's selective admissions doesn't appeal to Joe six-pack. CSU doesn't appeal because Ft. Collins is an unattractive hike up I25 for most front range CSU fans, let alone the casual Donkey fan. Plus there are transplants from all over who maintain allegiances to there ancestral university roots.

When CSU's football program craters, then it concentrates the focus on a single program instead of remaining fractured amongst many. College football fans in the Centennial state would have more reason to focus on beating up schools from other states instead of engaging in a petty in-state rivalry. The sooner CSU dies, the sooner Coloradoans can rally behind a single, stronger program. Such a program would have a better chance to contend for a championship at the national level.

Prolonging CSU's slow slide into the abyss is just bad business. The writing is on the wall. CSU is dead D1 football walking.

The last one to leave Hughes, be sure to turn off the lights.

I posted this in another thread, but it is most appropriate here. What some CU fans fail to realize is that I am the exact guy the new PAC-12 needs to penetrate into the pro-sports saturated Denver market share. I watch a lot of CU games so I can cheer against them. However, I would have absolutely no interest in watching any of those games if CU and CSU weren't playing at the same level. Whats it to me at that point? What's it to the large portion of the 40,000 or so CSU alumni that live in the Denver metro? I, like many transplants, never grew up here. I never followed the Buffs or developed any allegiance towards the University. I would probably just stop following college athletics in this state if CSU were to drop down a level or start following my home state Iowa Hawkeyes from afar.

Last edited:
I think Florida/Florida State, Texas/A&M, Kansas/Kansas State, Arizona/Arizona State, Cal/UCLA, OU/OSU, Alabama/Auburn, Georgia/GTech, UVA/VT, Michigan/MSU, Indiana/Purdue, South Carolina/Clemson and many others have something to say about this...

No no no. Didn't you get the memo? This is about sinking CSU and others to a lower level so that the vast majority of the State will magically unite behind one flagship University.

If CSU had what it took to generate BCS level support, I'd buy your argument. CU/CSU is't like any of those examples. On the spectrum of in-state rivalries, CU/CSU probably more like Utah/Utah State, New Mexico/New Mexico State, Kentucky/Bowling Green, Ohio State/Ohio, or Boise/Idaho. You gotta factor in population density, immigration, conference structure, and NFL dynamics, too.

California, Florida and Texas have enormous populations. It's laughable that you even brought those up.

I posted this in another thread, but it is most appropriate here. What some CU fans fail to realize is that I am the exact guy the new PAC-12 needs to penetrate into the pro-sports saturated Denver market share. I watch a lot of CU games so I can cheer against them. However, I would have absolutely no interest in watching any of those games if CU and CSU weren't playing at the same level. Whats it to me at that point? What's it to the large portion of the 40,000 or so CSU alumni that live in the Denver metro? I, like many transplants, never grew up here. I never followed the Buffs or developed any allegiance towards the University. I would probably just stop following college athletics in this state or start following my home state Iowa Hawkeyes from afar.

You have just validated a CSU stereotype. You care more about watching CU fail than you appreciate the pageantry and general awesomeness which is college football. The P12 deal isn't structured around CU haters. It's mission is to be the conference of champions. You are going to see some amazing talent on display in the P12. And chances are, you are going to buy a sports package and help subsidize the P12 with your monthly TV bill, whether you watch or not.

So why don't you go ahead and follow your beloved Hawkeyes? Who cares about what you do? The important thing is that young football fans growing up in Colorado and in the region are going to defy their parents biases for distant out of state programs and reach out to the school that best represents where they come from an best typifies excellence. For some Front Range school kid, that isn't going to be CSU or Iowa.

Except that the CU-CSU game is more similar to the annual West Virginia-Marshall matchup. I'm not against playing the game, but let's call a spade a spade.

You have just validated a CSU stereotype. You care more about watching CU fail than you appreciate the pageantry and general awesomeness which is college football. The P12 deal isn't structured around CU haters. It's mission is to be the conference of champions. You are going to see some amazing talent on display in the P12. And chances are, you are going to buy a sports package and help subsidize the P12 with your monthly TV bill, whether you watch or not.

So why don't you go ahead and follow your beloved Hawkeyes? Who cares about what you do? The important thing is that young football fans growing up in Colorado and in the region are going to defy their parents biases for distant out of state programs and reach out to the school that best represents where they come from an best typifies excellence. For some Front Range school kid, that isn't going to be CSU or Iowa.

How is that a sterotype? I go to every CSU game, buy season tickets and support the RamClub. I watch CU games just like I am sure Washington State fans watch Washington games or Arizona State fans watch Arizona games and root against them. That is no different than anyone else. Your telling me you won't be watching a few Nebraska games this season and rooting hard against them?

Last edited:
How is that a sterotype? I go to every game, buy season tickets and support the RamClub. I watch CU games just like I am sure Washington State fans watch Washington games or Arizona State fans watch Arizona games in the hopes that they lose. That is no different than anyone else. Your telling me you won't be watching a few Nebraska games this season and rooting hard against them? Thats what I thought.

NU is dead to us CU fans...you should be amazed how less often we talk about them compared to the past. I would only watch the Big Ten just to see how NU fares against the Big Ten but rooting against them won't be the reason.

Don't feel bad I do root for Wyoming against you. :thumbsup:

How is that a sterotype? I go to every CSU game, buy season tickets and support the RamClub. I watch CU games just like I am sure Washington State fans watch Washington games or Arizona State fans watch Arizona games in the hopes and root against them. That is no different than anyone else. Your telling me you won't be watching a few Nebraska games this season and rooting hard against them?

You can't have it both ways. In post #65, you say you wouldn't watch a game if CU and CSU don't play at the same level. (Those days are gone). Then in post #69, you say you watch CU play just to root against them.

So clarify your position. If CSU stopped fielding a D1 football program, would you cease watching D1 football? Would you stop watching games to root against CU? My gut tells me you'd be watching the Big10 network, but might flip over to the P12 network if there was an interesting game. Am I wrong?

What season tickets either of us own and the introduction of Nebraska into the debate is irrelevant.

You can't have it both ways. In post #65, you say you wouldn't watch a game if CU and CSU don't play at the same level. (Those days are gone). Then in post #69, you say you watch CU play just to root against them.

So clarify your position. If CSU stopped fielding a D1 football program, would you cease watching D1 football? Would you stop watching games to root against CU? My gut tells me you'd be watching the Big10 network, but might flip over to the P12 network if there was an interesting game. Am I wrong?

What season tickets either of us own and the introduction of Nebraska into the debate is irrelevant.

I will be real frank here...it's funny that when I suggested that CU consider going to the MWC (DH3's favorite conference BTW), many CU fans basically said the same thing that CSU fan is saying if CSU drops down to FCS. That would make college sports truly matter in this state but I'm happy about the Pac-12.

CCSquaredC, don't give up on your team alright?

So clarify your position. If CSU stopped fielding a D1 football program, would you cease watching D1 football? Would you stop watching games to rooting against CU? My gut tells me you'd be watching the Big10 network, but might flip over to the P12 network if there was an interesting game. Am I wrong?

My point is that I would basically have little to no interest in CU games if CSU was not playing at the same division level. If CSU dropped down a level, I would certainly stop watching CU games. I would really have no vested interest at that point and wouldn't really care one way or the other about a CU season.

As for other college games, I was probably a little over the top. I am sure I would catch a few high profile college football games here and there. However, I simply don't know how closely I would follow college football on the whole, but I think I would be much less interested.

Last edited:
Colorado football fans have it really good.
There's a BCS program that plays some of the most storied programs in the country.
There's a couple of MWC mid-major regional teams.
There's UNC, Mines and CSU-Pueblo who are not corrupted by TV money.

What more could a college football fan ask for?

Edit: And there's NFL and Prep, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a BCS program that plays some of the most storied programs in the country.

Agreed here but something is just missing...instate rivalries where the conference title is on the line.

My point is that I would basically have little to no interest in CU games if CSU was not playing at the same division level. If CSU dropped down a level, I would certainly stop watching CU games. I would really have no vested interest at that point and wouldn't really care one way or the other about a CU season.

As for other college games, I was probably a little over the top. I am sure I would catch a few high profile college football games here and there. However, I simply don't know how closely I would follow college football on the whole, but I think I would be much less interested.

I'm sure if you came to Boulder dressed up in black and gold for one afternoon game, you'd change your mind. :lol:

Your telling me you won't be watching a few Nebraska games this season and rooting hard against them?

Not to speak for anybody else, but I couldn't care less what the nubs do from here on out. Unless they're playing CU in the Rose Bowl, they're welcome to take their classiest fans in the world to the Big 10,11,12 and annoy a whole new group.

Edit: And there's NFL and Prep, too.

But you just said everything is too watered down and the MWC basically has no place in this state.

I'm sure if you came to Boulder dressed up in black and gold for one afternoon game, you'd change your mind. :lol:

Ha Ha! Now that I can tell you will never happen.

Edit: That will happen only when I am able to drag about 5 of your asses up to Fort Collins for the Boise State game this season.

Edit: That will happen only when I am able to drag about 5 of your asses up to Fort Collins for the Boise State game this season.

Don't knock it until you try it. There's no place in the world that's better for a pre-game tailgater than the CU-Boulder campus. FACT.

Why would we want to do that when Dan Hawkins has a winning record versus CSU?

Now that was unfair! :lol:

If CSU had what it took to generate BCS level support, I'd buy your argument. CU/CSU is't like any of those examples. On the spectrum of in-state rivalries, CU/CSU probably more like Utah/Utah State, New Mexico/New Mexico State, Kentucky/Bowling Green, Ohio State/Ohio, or Boise/Idaho. You gotta factor in population density, immigration, conference structure, and NFL dynamics, too.

California, Florida and Texas have enormous populations. It's laughable that you even brought those up.

Disagree, although you're missing the point. I wasn't comparing the CU/CSU rivalry to any of those listed, but I would say its up there with the bottom tier of that list. Regardless, the point is that yes, states can field more than one successful college football program even if the citizens' fanship is "fractured." South Carolina, Kansas and Alabama are a lot smaller than Colorado. Regardless of how you feel, people out-of-state were well-aware of the CU-CSU rivalry in 2005 when I started law school with a bunch of kids from around the country.

I wonder what the age difference is between those on the board that feel CSU is a legit rival and have a passionate hate for everything green and those that could do without the game?

But you just said everything is too watered down and the MWC basically has no place in this state.

I'm glad you are paying attention.
While football fans in the state have lots of choices amongst divisions, they have been offered little choice when it comes to excellence.

CU and CSU haven't been within sniffing distance of a top 10 finish since 2001, and haven't had a shot at the nMC since 1995.

If Colorado football fans were serious about beating up on the big boys like Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, Texas and USC, it would be more expedient if CSU football went away, the schools merged, the alumni and fans from both schools buried the hatchet. The combined entity would go about the business of pooling resources, adding more sports, and becoming a larger force to be reconned with on the playing field, in the bleachers, and at the state house.

CU and CSU aren't going to be merged. Ever. Skiddy, you need to get that idea out of your head. It's not just an athletic thing. It goes way beyond that. We may see some mergers in some of the smaller colleges and community colleges, but CU and CSU will be forever independent from one another.

I'm glad you are paying attention.
While football fans in the state have lots of choices amongst divisions, they have been offered little choice when it comes to excellence.

CU and CSU haven't been within sniffing distance of a top 10 finish since 2001, and haven't had a shot at the nMC since 1995.

If Colorado football fans were serious about beating up on the big boys like Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, Texas and USC, it would be more expedient if CSU football went away, the schools merged, the alumni and fans from both schools buried the hatchet. The combined entity would go about the business of pooling resources, adding more sports, and becoming a larger force to be reconned with on the playing field, in the bleachers, and at the state house.

CSU can get the men's soccer team for both schools while we will have football. :thumbsup:

CU and CSU aren't going to be merged. Ever. Skiddy, you need to get that idea out of your head. It's not just an athletic thing. It goes way beyond that. We may see some mergers in some of the smaller colleges and community colleges, but CU and CSU will be forever independent from one another.

I know that. Coloradoans don't organize very well.
It was amazing to watch how all the Texas schools circled the wagons at the Austin state-house last summer.
Similarly, Oklahoma and Kansas have fought hard for their flag ship and land grant schools to be wedded to each other in the same conference.

There simply is not the political will in Colorado to support college football similar to how it's done in Alabama or Oklahoma or South Carolina.

This staunch independent streak helps Colorado in some ways and hurts it in others.

While Colorado ranks high in alternative and progressive thinking, it's pretty far away from having what's necessary to send a politician to the White House, launch the next Wal-Mart or Google, or create an enduring college football dynasty.

Besides, I only bring this up when the thread topic involves CSU and draws in CSU fans.

I know that. Coloradoans don't organize very well.
It was amazing to watch how all the Texas schools circled the wagons at the Austin state-house last summer.
Similarly, Oklahoma and Kansas have fought hard for their flag ship and land grant schools to be wedded to each other in the same conference.

There simply is not the political will in Colorado to support college football similar to how it's done in Alabama or Oklahoma or South Carolina.

This staunch independent streak helps Colorado in some ways and hurts it in others.

While Colorado ranks high in alternative and progressive thinking, it's pretty far away from having what's necessary to send a politician to the White House, launch the next Wal-Mart or Google, or create an enduring college football dynasty.

The only reason the Texas schools circled the wagons is because they needed to ride UT's coattails or find themselves completely irrelevant in the world of college athletics. And Oklahoma and Kansas's state schools are A) already in the same conference and B) all members of the BCS - so I don't see how that is a comparison.

And to compare the support of Colorado to Alabama, Oklahoma or South Carolina is a little unfair. We were invited to the Pac-10 instead of the SEC for a reason.

p.s. - Gary Hart was just an affair away from the White House.

We sure as hell can make restaurant chains though. :lol:

Back