1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly did Bruce Bensen say?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DBT, Dec 10, 2009.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Irv and Joe keep saying he said "We don't care about winning at football." Now, maybe he isn't real into athletics, but I cannot believe he doesn't care if we win. What was the exact quote? Is there a link?

2. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

It goes without saying that if he cared about winning he would've advocated a head coaching change.

3. DBT

Well, we can argue that until we are blue in the face. I'm sure his priority is to increase fund raising for the school, much less academics. At least that is what he said in his newsletter. But I want to see his quote about "not caring about winning." I find it hard to believe that he feels that way. I'm not saying he didn't say it. If he did, I will be very disappointed. I've just seen heresay.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

DBT, when are you going to learn that it's not what anyone at CU says that matters... what matters is what people hear.

5. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I doubt he actually SAID he doesn't care. But his actions clearly indicate that it's WAY down on the priority list. He seems to think that by avoiding "scandals" that he'll be able to turn around the ****ing ****ty funding CU gets from the Legislature. Apparently he hasn't bothered to look at any history, as the Legislature has **** on CU for many many many years, and will likely always do so. In the Statehouse, Higher Education is seen as something only the wealthy kids do.

Benson needs to be talking to other university presidents with successful atheltics programs to he can see first hand all the benefits of having winning programs has for the entire university.

6. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

I'll give a start on who Benson should talk to...

Texas (easy right in our own conference,) Ohio State, and oh yeah, maybe talk to former CU president E. Gordon Gee who went on to Ohio State and built what they have now then moved to Vanderbilt.

Here's a crazy question for Colorado residents/historians, who was Gov. when Gee was president?

7. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

Roy Romer

8. Hawkmustgo!

Hawkmustgo! New Member

Romer?

9. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

That's right, thanks. AND, if I remember correctly, Romer was a staunch proponent of funding to CU (and other state education) and actually gave a crap unlike the next two save-asses, Owens and Ritter. Support in the governor's mansion helps too.

Hell, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, despite being an aggy has been seen flashing the "hook 'em" in support of UT. That's caused some problems in these parts! :lol:

10. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Our higher ed funding is pathetic... isn't it 49 out of 50 in the country?

11. DBT

Something like that. :huh:

12. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

From Benson's email newsletter:

13. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Folks, Bruce Benson is no friend to the CU Athletic department and Football in particular. If it were up to him there would be no football team. I've this on good accord from some very reliable boosters. Sad, but it's a fact. He's a politician and academic first and foremost.

14. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

I would argue that he's no academic; big time politician, fund raiser and crank - a bit like John McCain.

15. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Well, he views himself as an academic. I concur with the rest of what you wrote however.

16. DBT

If that is true, then I want HIM the hell out of there. I think our biggest problem is not Dan Hawkins, it is the current administration. It isn't a coincedence that our greatest days were under Gordon Gee.

17. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

Dan Hawkins is the biggest problem. He can't coach. Second biggest problem is the Admin that does not care that he can't coach.

18. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Part of the point I wanted to show in the new poll about the state of the CU AD is that we have a systematic problem. We've got an Athletic Director who is working his butt off to market the teams and provide better facilities. We've got coaches in every sport that have a background as big winners (CU or elsewhere), but aren't getting it done consistently (or at all) at CU. We've got a lot of built-in recruiting advantages through our locale, campus life and value of our degrees as compared to other Big 12 programs (in some sports such as soccer, volleyball, skiing and XC, we even have better local prep talent to recruit). That we are having an epic failure across our AD given the above puts the blame squarely on the lack of institutional support from the state government and academia. Bohn, our coaches, and the rest of our athletic department are playing against a stacked deck.

19. DBT

I agree with what you are saying.