What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What happens first

Which one happens first

• CSU breaks ground on new on-campus stadium

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • CU breaks ground on new indoor practice facility

Votes: 63 61.2%
  • CSU plants more bushes, paves more over more of the cow patties and calls it a successful project

Votes: 32 31.1%

• Total voters
It is state funding that guarantees all of the financing that allows the projects to go forward and to be financed at lower rates. If the project fails financially the state is on the hook.
OK, so it is a matter of reducing risk then. If you can present an improvement project and show the state that the risk is minimal and the upside is big, then you should be OK, I'd think. That is why Rick George gets paid.

OK, so it is a matter of reducing risk then. If you can present an improvement project and show the state that the risk is minimal and the upside is big, then you should be OK, I'd think. That is why Rick George gets paid.

That kind of thing sounds great in theory, but remember that we're dealing with politicians, here. Politicians don't think logically or rationally. They see one state university playing fast and loose with money, and their immediate reaction is to cut funding to all state universities to ensure that doesn't happen again.

That kind of thing sounds great in theory, but remember that we're dealing with politicians, here. Politicians don't think logically or rationally. They see one state university playing fast and loose with money, and their immediate reaction is to cut funding to all state universities to ensure that doesn't happen again.

This,

And I am not quite as concerned about the funding issue as I am about the politicians making sweeping regulations on how a university can finance certain types of facility improvements.

I am concerned about the CU AD having their hands tied in their ability to borrow against future revenue streams because CSU fails to make reasonable borrowing decisions.

On one hand I don't have a problem with the politicians taking reasonable action to protect the taxpayers and the students at the schools from bad borrowing decisions. On the other hand those actions tend to be one size fits all without regard for the differences in the viability of the funding streams that are used to pay off the financing.

True. Funding can't fall much more than it has, but that doesn't mean the legislature can't make things very difficult for CU, even if it's CSU that is screwing the pooch.

On thing to keep in mind is the massive differences in conference payout money for future borrowing

On thing to keep in mind is the massive differences in conference payout money for future borrowing

To a state rep from Akron, that doesn't mean anything. The differences between funding sources between CU and CSU are irrelevant.

To a state rep from Akron, that doesn't mean anything. The differences between funding sources between CU and CSU are irrelevant.
If you tell the good senator from Akron that your facility improvements will cost $150 million and that you have secured $50 million in private donations and that your new revenue stream in your PAC 12 affiliation ensures that you can cover the remaining $100 million loan payments even without further donations, then the good Senator from Akron, I would hope, would buy off. Not to mention the positive financial impact the new facilities will have through a better product on the field leading to even greater revenue in the future. Remember, a lot of those politicians and their constituency have ties to CU.

As CO ranks 48th in the nation on higher ed funding, the politicians have already done damage. Worrying about the statehouse is, in CSU language, closing the barn doors after the cattle have already left.

CU leadership has made it very clear the AD is to be self-sufficient. State funds and student fees are off limits in Boulder.

Realistically, what other substantive downsides are there left for capital hill to restrict?

Parker isn't an old city with standardized city blocks, etc. Makes a big difference...especially when there's buses that run in the right lane in such cities, something that's not as common in the suburbs.

I'm well aware of the differences, that doesn't make it acceptable to not be able to drive the speed limit

As CO ranks 48th in the nation on higher ed funding, the politicians have already done damage. Worrying about the statehouse is, in CSU language, closing the barn doors after the cattle have already left.

CU leadership has made it very clear the AD is to be self-sufficient. State funds and student fees are off limits in Boulder.

Realistically, what other substantive downsides are there left for capital hill to restrict?
Exactly. That is my point.

Voted for No. 3. Another possibility is that Fort Collins knocks down Hughes to put up more apartments that look the same and obstruct the view of Horsetooth. The town, indifferently drunk on micro brews, forgets the school ever had a football program.

As CO ranks 48th in the nation on higher ed funding, the politicians have already done damage. Worrying about the statehouse is, in CSU language, closing the barn doors so no one can hear the sheep squeel.

fify

Back