1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if Kubiak came?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Unleash Hell, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Remember when Kubiak accepted and then turned down the job some 24 hours later back in 99. Anybody wonder where we would be today had he not flipped? He probably would have bolted to the NFL or some Texas school after 3 years anyway, but you have to wonder.

2. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Leaving for the nfl would have been fine if the program kept momentum. Each coaching change since 98 has left cu with a bare cupboard, and starting from scratch.

3. OrangeBowl

OrangeBowl Club Member Club Member

This might be fun...Gary Kubiak wins 2 more games (CSU and Washington) than GB in 1999,instead of the Insight bowl they go to the Cotton Bowl where they beat Arkansas.The Cotton Bowl win helps him land Casey Clausen and Cedric Benson,(in a related story,locals prep standouts Craig Ochs signs with Arizona while Marcus Houston goes to Florida State).The 2000 season starts out shakey as Clausen adjusts to college life in Boulder.The Buffs are 2-2 beating CSU at the old Mile High Stadium for the last time at that venue,but then drop a road game at USC,followed by beating Washington and K-State.Then the season turns when they go to College Station,its a happy homecoming for Kubiak as the Buffs roll 35-0.Wins against Texas,KU,Ok St,Mizzou and Iowa State setup a showdown in Lincoln to decide who plays for the Big 12 title vs Oklahoma.CU mugs nebraska 44-0 setting up a showdown in KC vs OU.The Buffs win a shootout against 2nd year coach Bob Stoops and his Heisman hopeful QB Josh Heupel, 39-36.The Buffs then play Florida State in the Orange Bowl and beat Free Shoes U and Heisman winner Chris Wienke 21-10 to win their 2nd MNC(that was the year FSU played for the title despite losing to Miami who lost to Washington,both of which had 1 loss and claims to play for the title).Mentions of a college football playoff are on full blast as the newly elected GW Bush declares a 2 loss champion a charter member of "the axis of evil" and the ground work for a playoff is born......

Heywood likes this.
  4. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

Woah. Ok.

5. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

:rofl:

and i was just going to respond with "who knows?"

6. SuperBuff

SuperBuff Club Member Club Member

Whoa wait just one second my friend, can someone enlighten me on Kub's coming to CU in 99. I have heard this before but never gave much thought about it.

7. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

after neuheisal left, kubiak interviewed for and then accepted the job. on the day of the press conference to formally introduce him as the new CU head coach, he called CU and changed his mind. shanahan had convinced him to stay with the Broncs and try for the super bowl, which worked out well, and also convinced him he'd get an nfl hc job soon (which was also true).

8. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

He did. How do you think Klint, Klay and Klein were born?

aik likes this.
  9. SuperBuff

SuperBuff Club Member Club Member

Ok, I heard this before kind of. the story my (crazy) uncle told me was that he was pursued by the Buffs but nothing formal happened. Sorry for my ignorance I was younger during this part of the Buffs timeline.

10. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Stork?

11. HUFset

HUFset Well-Known Member

Racist stork.

12. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

What if Kubiak came? Isn´t that a question his wife should answer?

13. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Stork Brothers?

onecrazysummer.jpg