1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if.......

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Dunken, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Dunken

Dunken Member

Hawkins was retained to just keep through the recruiting, bowl season and the end of the NFL season. What if they have a coach in mind (someone in the NFL or a coach in a bowl game) and they know that if Hawkins was let go at the end of the season our weak recruiting class would have gotten weaker......just a thought

2. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This is kind of along the same lines of my "is it too late to fire Hawkins" post. Yeah, I think it is too late. Not because of recruiting, because that's screwed regardless. I actually think firing Hawk now would improve recruiting, but I digress. I think the powers that be have made their decision and are now faced with the consequences of it. The only upside to this, as I see it, is that Benson, DiStephano & Bohn won't want to go through this all over again this time next year. If Hawk doesn't come through with at least 7 wins, he's gone.

3. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

That's also why I was wondering when Hawkins' contract "anniversary date" is i.e. the date the $3m buyout drops to $2M.

4. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

That would be just about the dirtiest trick the AD could pull on a recruit - waiting until the kid has signed and can't go elsewhere, then fire the coach. That would surely torpedo recruiting for the long haul.

5. sackman

Belotti did it last year.

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

why would they keep him to get the last ranked class in the Big 12?

7. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

17 days now till the Texans season is over.

But it sounds like Washington is really working on Mike to coach the redskins. :sad1:

8. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

yeah, but he stayed on as AD and his OC became HC - nearly perfect continuity. Fire hawk and there would be total turn over in staff (maybe Cabral stays).

9. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

And, it wasn't a secret he was headed to become AD at some point. Those kids signed on knowing at some point Kelly was stepping up to HC.

10. Dunken

Dunken Member

Maybe Hawkins was told to retain all of his coaching staff from last yr. because someone on the staff is coach in waiting, or if Hawkins is let go the new coach can decide from there.

11. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

If you told a coach he was fired, why would he waste a minute of his time recruiting for the school that just fired him?

Wish it was true, but seriously doubt it.

12. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Nice thought, but it is not going to happen....

13. sackman

And, realistically, anybody signing with CU knows full well that Hawk is gone after next year. Same diff, IMO.

14. Crash Davis

Crash Davis MA....THE MEATLOAF!!! Club Member

In terms of his buyout, there is no such date. Any partial years remaining are pro-rated.

Each day we keep Talkins, his buyout drops $2,328.00

15. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

We could get a great deal if we fired him today then. Deal almost as good as tomorrow but it just gets worse every day.

16. sackman

Has anybody calculated what the school loses for every day it keeps him?

17. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

His performance may have to be only marginally better than 2009 to get another year.

18. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

That's depressing...

19. sackman

Marginally better means one or two wins to me. That's not going to cut it.

20. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

but the recruits may not see him as a lame duck.

21. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

David Gibbs works there too. :smile2: There's hope. :thumbsup:

22. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

:hijacked:

It's maybe divergent from this main topic a little bit (I think all this speculation about NFL guys is EXTREMELY wishful thinking, fwiw), but I personally did not like at all how this issue was handled by UofO. All comments in the paper, interviews, etc. by anyone associated with the UofO AD basically framed the move in the fashion of "Belotti will move on to the AD years down the road, with Chip Kelly taking over as HC." They carefully chose their words so as to imply it was going to be 2-3 years before a change happened and then almost immediately after NLOI day Belotti ascended to AD.

I don't know, maybe they let their recruits "in on it," but I live in Oregon and I know Ducks fans who were pretty shocked that it happened when it did.

23. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

If the AD did this, I would seriously have to consider stopping supporting the Buffs until the AD and President were gone. This would be unbelievably dishonest to the kids being recruited.

Please do not make any comparisons to what happened at Oregon. Everyone up here knew what was coming and I believe they were up front with the recruits. Additionally, the recruits knew who the next coach would be and what the staff would look like. If you want to believe that Hawk being gone after next year has already been decided, you have the right to do that. I think any recruit looking at CU right now knows the coaching staff is on the hot seat.

24. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

One, it would be totally unethical and, two, it would make CU look like "Douchebag U" to future recruits.

25. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

If you believe the rumor websites, Bohn and Hawkins had agreed to a $2.5 million buyout before Benson stepped in.

26. sackman

Seems to be a bit of a disconnect here.

27. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

All I can say is what I read in the Portland paper and the Oregon and OSU fans that I talk to. None of them were very surprised. It's not like the exact timing was known but it was always a possibility.

Regardless, whether you want to say what Oregon did was above board or sleazy, that doesn't make firing the coach after the recruiting season is over ok and I'd be very unhappy with the AD if it happened.