What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What is Mark May smoking?

Today on College Football Live, Mark May was asked about the Big 10 expanding to 12 teams. He said that Iowa State or Colorado would be two teams that the Big 10 would look at. Iowa State because of its proximity and Colorado because ? (academics is about on the only reason that I can think of) I'm not sure what he was thinking, but he seemed pretty confident in his statements. Wouldn't Mizzou be a better fit?:confused:

I think Mizzou is the most logical fit. Decent athletics, academics are pretty good (journalism school, for one, is highly ranked, Mark Pissla notwithstanding...), location fits. CU fits the same profile with regard to everything but location. ISU? The only way they outrank either CU or Mizzou is location. In the past, N*braska has been mentioned as a team the Big XI might pursue - interesting May didn't bring them up.

If they go looking someplace besides the Big XII to steal somebody, it all depends on whether the academics or the athletic supporters are dominant right now. If it's the athletics guys, Louisville or Pitt might get some run. If it's the academics guys, they might look at Syracuse or maybe even Vandy. Although I'd give that one a better chance if G. Gee was still there... :huh:

As for who should replace a Big XII team, if ISU or Mizzou goes, I could see Utah as a reasonable candidate. If not them, it could be TCU. That could go either way, mostly depending on how the Texass schools feel about another school in the state joining the conference. If CU goes, I could give a **** about who comes in to replace them. Which means my choice would be CSU, for several reasons. First to watch Lammie Fuskers personality degenerate all the way into full blown schizophrenia when the lammies and fuskers meet in a conference game every year. :lol: Second, to see how many last place finishes it takes the lammies fans to finally admit that maybe they wouldn't be competitive in the Big XII north every year. Third, to watch Sonny Boy Lubejob try to pull his potty mouthed bull**** on a nicely liquored up group of wHorns or Sooners. And finally, to watch the fun when fusker fans figure out they have bought every single ticket for a conference road game at Hughes Stadium, and still have 25,000 fans looking to buy more. They should be a riot to listen to after a game in a 30,000 seat stadium. They'll still be arrogant pricks, of course, but I can't imagine a better target to aim them at... :cool:

heres a thought... why replace ISU and MU.... just use 10 teams, 9 conf games and 3 OOC game seach year... no championship game, no north and south and everyone plays everybody each year....

heres a thought... why replace ISU and MU.... just use 10 teams, 9 conf games and 3 OOC game seach year... no championship game, no north and south and everyone plays everybody each year....

You just answered your own question.

$$$

I don't know. Maybe becuase that championship game generates over a million dollars to the conference and over $100k in additional revenue to each member school. Sure, lets just through that extra money out the window.

Frank Boyles, as long as he is still there, would love to be back and playing with the Texas boys.

Frank Broyles is about 184 yrs. old and due to retire in February I believe.

ISU, MU, Pitt or Rutgers amke the most sense for the B 10 (11). ND would be their first choice, but as long as NBC fronts the Domers huge $$$ and exposure, the Catholics will stay independent.

If ISU or MU were to leave, Utah would be the only serious contender to fill their shoes. CSU or WY simply don't have enough game. Arkansas isn't about to leave the SEC. If they wanted to play the TX teams, they would not have left the SWC in the first place. TCU, no way, another TX school would make the Big 12 into a TX schools, OU and those other guys conference. It's bad enough already.

I don't see CU going Pac 10. In a lot of ways it makes some sense, but that is a lot of travel time to pay for, and CU would need to fund Baseball and other sports before the Pac 10 would be interested IMO.

My guess is everything stays the same for a few more years.

I think Mizzou is the most logical fit. Decent athletics, academics are pretty good (journalism school, for one, is highly ranked, Mark Pissla notwithstanding...), :

****ing Mark Kiszla is from Missouri?.. Now, I have to really hate Missouri with a passion.. :lol:

The suggestion that Arkansas would move to the Big 12 is the most laughable thing I think I've ever heard. They play in the strongest football conference in America that just so happens to cover the best recruiting area in the country and they have an exsclusive tv contract with CBS. Just from a shared revenue standpoint they lose.

Posting the map is a good idea. It show you why most of the conferences exist; geography. They formed these conferences to make scheduling easy and to reduce the cost of traveling the team or at least make it predictable. This is why the old 16 team MWC/WAC/SWC fell apart; it was too big and too expensive for the member teams.

The fact is that if ISU or Missouri left (all closest to Big 10) CSU would be a logical fit for two reasons; 1. Geography 2. CSU is the team with the most alums that still live in the state AND that state's population (and its TV market) are expected to grow appreciably over the decade. That means both major college teams are members of the same conference in the same major TV market which is an easier sell to TV execs. They might even pay more for that.

I suspect this anti CSU talk has more to do with keeping the little brother down than it does with reality. Our conference plays in 6 states currently why make it 7?

I think the CSU being attractive to the Big 12 is equally laughable. CSU has a small stadium and does not bring in anything in either Basketball or Football. As far as the television market goes, the Big 12 already has a niche in the Colorado Market with CU, CSU is not going to raise the number television sets in the area which is how advertising dollars are calculated. I agree with Utah and BYU having some attraction to the Big 12.

If the Big 10 does add a 12th team, It will most likely come from Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia schools...the Big East is weak in Football and all of those schools has strong BB programs...plus they would add a lot more television sets. Missouri would be an outside shot at best for the Big 10 and ISU would be a no shot. The $$$ for an ISU would be almost nothing...small stadium, low population. Metro Denver has more people than all of Iowa.

Back