1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the "AAA Committee?"

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by DBT, Jul 3, 2012.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I turned on the radio to CJ's show. He and Nate were discussing CU and the "AAA Committee." CJ was pretty upset about it. He said he'd try to get Dr. Clough on to discuss it. Dr. Clough (no, not Sandy) is on the Committee. It sounds like this committee gives the :thumbsup: or :finger: to prospective recruits.

2. 30Something

30Something Distinguished Brotha Club Member

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

CJ would know better than I, but my impression was that the AAA had been helpful to Embree in a lot of ways. I'd imagine that it's also limited the number of risks per class and given some "no's".

It's a different era than when we were able to build the program with partial qualifiers like Sal Aunese.

4. DBT

Well, CJ seems pissed about it. Plus, my sense is that he was pissed for a reason. In other words, because of a recent occurrence in recruiting.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  5. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Honestly, while we'd all love an environment where the coaches can bring in anyone they think can help the program, I think you do need controls like this in the current era. We are now in an environment where bringing in a ton of kids who can't succeed in the classroom is actually detrimental to your program in terms of schollies and post-season eligibility. How would the fans like it if we finally turned the corner and had 8 wins, but couldn't go to a bowl because of the state of the APR rating.

Hell just look at UConn who is going to be stuck out of the post-season in b-ball for what...2 years now?

You're going to start seeing a lot more schools implementing something like this, though somehow all the SEC schools all already have solid APR scores...I'm sure that's entirely legit. :rolling_eyes: Though to be fair I did see a story where Florida just turned away a 4* DT who made it through the clearinghouse, but I'm not sure what the whole story was there.

6. 30Something

30Something Distinguished Brotha Club Member

Well, that's what happens when your weak students can get degrees in Physical Education or Crayons.

7. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

If an at risk student athlete has a harder time getting into CU than Stanford or Cal, we are at a major disadvantage.

8. Buffnik

That's not the case.

9. DBT

Tell that to the NCAA. They have no even playing field as far as academic standards are concerned. A "C" student at CU will be a "B" student in the SEC. But, rather than view CU academics as tougher, they are rated the same. The playing field is slanted.

10. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Are you sure Nik? Cal has that special program for admitting athletes, remember?

11. Buffnik

They can maybe get 1 a year with that.

12. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Can kids at other schools drop a class at any time during the semester, even right before finals. While at CU, you have to drop within a few weeks after classes start.

13. DBT

I believe that would be highly unusual if true. Plus, an athlete still has to take, I'd assume, a minimum of 18 credit hours a year to stay on track.

14. Buffnik

Average of 12 hours per semester with up to 6 taken over the summer. So, yeah, an athlete can take 9 credits a semester.

15. DBT

Thanks. Yeah, I was mistaking "full time student" for "on track to graduate in 5 years" I think.