What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What kind of recruiting bump can we expect from Leavitt and Tumpkin?

I hope that Tumpkin and Leavitt are good on the recruiting trail.

But the biggest thing they could do is deliver a Top 75 defense that brings us wins and recruits visiting campus in December while the Buffs are preparing for a bowl game.

Bernardi always has been and always will be mainly in So. Calif. Arizona is a bonus.

I think JL finds a few guys in S. Florida thru his old connections. Guys who miss on top tier SEC offers but are really good. That's where he will add value in terms of recruiting a personal area. He will lend a little cred to the whole program.

But his main focus is to make us a much more competitive D. Immediately.

Last edited:
If we can get 1 or 2 guys out of FL a year that missed on SEC/FSU offers, that would be amazing. However biggest bump we are going to see is from our Defense helping us WIN games.

Bernardi always has been and always will be mainly in So. Calif. Arizona is a bonus.

I think JL finds a few guys in S. Florida thru his old connections. Guys who miss on top tier SEC offers but are really good. That's where he will add value in terms of recruiting a personal area. He will lend a little cred to the whole program.

But his main focus is to make us a much more competitive D. Immediately.

So you are saying that our DE/LBs won't look like deer in the headlights every time they see a read option coming their way?

Recruiting next year will be mostly affected by the groundwork Mac has put in the last couple of years. What JL and, hopefully, JT bring is more cred that will turn near misses into hits. Leavitt has been away from the Florida scene for 4 or 5 years. I doubt he would pry away 4's and 5's from there. But maybe he would get calls from some old HS acquaintances turning him on to some sleepers.

i still say the main focus should be Cal, Tx and the Southwest. If we could, somehow, someway open doors in Texas, that could be where we build an advantage in recruiting over the west coast schools and that is where Mac needs to keep trying to crack the door.

Last edited:
i still say the main focus should be Cal, Tx and the Southwest. If we could, somehow, someway open doors in Texas, that could be where we build an advantage in recruiting over the west coast schools and that is where Mac needs to keep trying to crack the door.

If Carr turns out to be the kind of player he could be, it will open a lot of eyes in Texas. Seeing a Houston kid rip it up on the Pac 12 network will be a huge boost. That's a big "if", though. Lots of things can derail that pipe dream.

The Twitterverse and Rivals and probably other sources too have been claiming that Leavitt is getting out on the recruiting trail. Many of us, myself included, assumed that he would not likely be active in recruiting and most of us were fine with that because of the monumental task he has to transform our D on the field.

But I must admit I am pleasantly surprised that he is recruiting Colorado, Utah, Kansas and Florida if I am not mistaken. Another LB recruit in Utah just received an offer delivered by Leavitt. I can only imagine that having the most recent LB coach for the 49ers in your home trying to get you to play for him at a P12 school could be pretty convincing.

It has probably been covered somewhere, but does anyone know if Leavitt´s recruiting role is confined to LBs, Defense in general or any potential athlete in his target states? If he could get us a few studs every year on top of turning around our defense we´d have to get him a statue at Folsom :)

The coaches work hard. Unless it has changed, coaches work a geographic region in finding and meeting talent. After extensive evaluations, an offer is made. In addition to working a geographic area, the position coaches develop relationships with the players recruited in their group irregardless of local. They meet the parents, attend camps and games, and contact the recruits, strictly as per NCAA regs. You can underline the strictly. They don't bend a blade of grass if the NCAA doesn't allow it. Coach Mac is also heavily involved in contacting and meeting potential players. The amount of time and effort is unreal.

Last edited:
Back