What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What kind of scheme should an incoming coach establish?

I think another more interesting thing to think about, compared to randomly looking at coaching candidates, is to think about what kind of scheme we want to build. What kind of offense would be best to set up in the PAC 10? A power running game? fun and gun? etc. Or should we set up like Auburn and have a big powerful D with a very conservative offense?

Along these lines I have to say I am intrigued by possibly bringing back the option/power running game. For this to happen we would most likely need to bring in Mac or Calhoun. Mac maybe too old (but I still would love to see him on the sidelines again).... and I am not totally sold on Calhoun..... but if we hired him CU would probably be running the triple option again. I am not sure any team in the Pac 10 would have any clue how to defend a power option game. They are not built to stop it at all, they are all built to play fun and gun games. I think having a power running/option game would be very hard for most PAC 10 teams to defend. I think we could have some great success with this.

That said I am just curious everyone's thoughts on what schemes to set up and what coach could set that scheme up effectively.

+1 power, strength, and toughness will win in this league right now and not spread-flash like 99% of the programs run right now

I want to see a power running game, with a QB that can run and throw deep to big, fast, WRs when teams start loading the box to stop the run. I will also take the Big Powerful D and an above average special teams unit.

That is the equation for a winning program.

We have to be a tough, smashmouth football team. There is no way we can consistently out-finesse Pac-12 teams. I'm very happy that we're looking at guys like McElwain and Calhoun from outside the program and guys like Mac and EB from inside the program. It tells me that Mike Bohn is on the same page that I am. He doesn't seem to be looking at the Spike Dykes type coaches.

We have to be a tough, smashmouth football team. There is no way we can consistently out-finesse Pac-12 teams. I'm very happy that we're looking at guys like McElwain and Calhoun from outside the program and guys like Mac and EB from inside the program. It tells me that Mike Bohn is on the same page that I am. He doesn't seem to be looking at the Spike Dykes type coaches.

agree- also can't forget that there will be some games played in November (Boulder, SLC, Washington) where
snow could be a factor & a tough ground game will be a blessing-

I don't want to ever see anymore of this "spread" crap. I want a power running game, play action and a stout defense.

I want to see a coach who can make changes to his offense based on the players he has. He may have an underlying philosphy, but it can be altered based on the talent on the team. I want a coach who can make adjustments during the game, and not blame the players for execution if his scheme is not working.

I want us to go back to being a power running team like when Chris Brown was running over the fuskers. I want us to be linebacker U again, like when we were spitting out NFL linebackers left and right. I would like our kickers to be able to kick it more than 35-40 yards, where touchbacks are the norm and not the exception (on kickoffs)

Alabama/Stanford physical teams with power smash mouth running and solid play action offense. Tough run stopping defense. Use the altitude to our advantage and wear out teams. Amazing that those teams run "old school" football schemes and are two of the best teams in college football.

Everyone seems to be pretty much liking the power running game. Anyone else think a power running game and option offense would be incredible against the smaller finesse pac 10? I see no way a PAC 10 team could stand up to a good power I option- hell OU almost couldn't stand up to it when they played Air Force a few weeks ago

Oregon didn't have much trouble stopping our big, bad, power running attack in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl.

That said, I like that kind of football. Solid, fundamental, hat on hat, shove it down your throat football, with the ability to go up top with some nasty play action.

Oregon didn't have much trouble stopping our big, bad, power running attack in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl.

That said, I like that kind of football. Solid, fundamental, hat on hat, shove it down your throat football, with the ability to go up top with some nasty play action.

Although it also could have been related to the fact our defense couldn't stop Joey Harrington even slightly lol. But point well taken....... still think most of the time it is gonna be hard for a PAC 10 team to slow a realy good running game with a smaller, fast team built to stop a spread attack like Oregon

Championship football teams still have a dominant rushing attack. Power smashmouth football baby! Come to Boulder, McElwain!

Come on. Everyone knows Oregon was cheating in that game.

+1 on the smashmouth comments. Old-school CU FB pretty much. Would also like to see more of a don't bend or break type defense. Really like watching a good 3/4 blitz scheme. Put the QB on his back, and defend from there.

Would be very happy with either of the coordinators from Bama. They play that kind of ball, and can draw good assistants. Calhoun is an interesting prospect. Like what he does on offense - good schemes and playcalling. Not sure who he could bring in as DC. Really aren't too many teams besides Bama and the Nubs running that kind of team in the big conferences - not at all interested in any candidate without coordinator exp at a bigboy BCS school or NFL.

Bruising, smash mouth football with D that does not play with the bend but do not break philosophy. I want a stoudt, hit you in the mouth kind of D with speed all over the field. Wear teams down with a punishing O line that just keeps pounding you and QB that can use the play action effectively. Run, Run and Run some more.

It helped Oregon to have a month to prepare for 98G. 3rd and shorts killed us in that game, plus the blown call on the illegal forward pass.

I'd like a power run game or an I bone option attack. We'd be a nightmare for the Pac 12 to prepare for, given all of the spread/pro style offenses.

You can have it both ways. Some spread attacks utilize option and read/zone with big backs. Illinois has produced Rashard Mendenhall and Pierre Thomas in the past few years, and likely has another high draft pick in Mikel Leshoure. All of these guys pounded the ball.

The spread merely creates ball disception and misdirection, which aides the RB.

I'd be OK with a spread and shred offense, a la Michigan and Rich Rod. The key here (and not unlike most offenses!) is that you have to have a QB that can really run the offense. And for the spread and shred to work, your QB has to be an amazing athlete. It allows you to have the benefits of the old option attack (leaving a player unblocked plus having an extra blocker with a running QB) with the advantages of the spread (defenses spread across the field and therefore more room to operate).

In my head, I was wondering whether Josh Moten was the guy that could be the athletic, option-running QB we needed. I guess that idea is now dead....

Heard Herm Wittingham yesterday. He and Mark Schlereth said it is not about scheme, its about the players you have that excecute whatever scheme you have.

A run-oriented offense isn't going to win in the Pac-12 for CU. Some teams win NC's with run-oriented offenses and nasty defenses, like Alabama. Guess what? We aren't going to bring in the same kind of personnel that Alabama does. Simple offenses work for teams that out-talent other teams. CU won't be winning a conference with USC and Oregon in it because we have more talent than them...

A run-oriented offense isn't going to win in the Pac-12 for CU. Some teams win NC's with run-oriented offenses and nasty defenses, like Alabama. Guess what? We aren't going to bring in the same kind of personnel that Alabama does. Simple offenses work for teams that out-talent other teams. CU won't be winning a conference with USC and Oregon in it because we have more talent than them...

Signed USC and Stanford and Oregon...USC dominated the Pac with power running and deep passing. Stanford probably has a tough time pulling all the top athletes, but is ridiculously good in the Pac 10, and Oregon is 4th in the country in rushing. Who has won the last 10 Pac 10 championships?

I just want a coach who schemes to win...as was said earlier. Im so sick of the philosophy of trying to manage the clock. Just throw the damn ball down the field and run like your hair is on fire. The bottom line is if you get to the endzone more than your opponent does you win. This thread just pisses me off because it reminds me of all the horse **** that Hawkins says. If the f*cker would scheme to win instead of scheming to not lose maybe his W-L record would be different. I hope the next coach has the philosophy of "we're coming at you try to stop us".

Back