What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What positives / negatives are you seeing with the basketball team?

Looking at the schedule and expanding on what CVille is saying, I would hope for 6-2/5-3 in the next 8 games before they go on the 3 game road trip to end the season. Very doable if they can keep winning at home.
I'd be very happy with 5-3 right now, 6-2 would be a bonus. Beating UCLA on the road/UofA at home would be tough regardless of the circumstances. Hard to believe they don't have a home game after Feb. 22.

I'd be very happy with 5-3 right now, 6-2 would be a bonus. Beating UCLA on the road/UofA at home would be tough regardless of the circumstances. Hard to believe they don't have a home game after Feb. 22.

There are 5 home games left, and the only one I'm worried about is Arizona, obviously. If the Buffs are a tournament team then the other 4 are wins(Utah, UW, WSU, and ASU). Get through the next 8 games at 6-2 with a win over Arizona and they can punch their ticket to the dance. What we don't want is for them needing 1 or 2 wins during the road trip at the end.

There are 5 home games left, and the only one I'm worried about is Arizona, obviously. If the Buffs are a tournament team then the other 4 are wins(Utah, UW, WSU, and ASU). Get through the next 8 games at 6-2 with a win over Arizona and they can punch their ticket to the dance. What we don't want is for them needing 1 or 2 wins during the road trip at the end.
That's pretty much best case scenario I think at this point then we'll be talking about seeding and not whether were getting in or not. Agreed that the more we do now, the less will have to make up later. I really don't want to see us lose those final four games (including P12 Tourney), but I'll worry about that another day.

Josh Scott has taken his game to the next level.

No comment on anything else really.

I don't recall a stretch in Tad Boyle's tenure at Colorado that have been as disheartening as these last six conference games.

@wazzou- flat even with Spencer. Relieved to grab a W in Spokane
@washington - shell shocked after the knees popped
UCLA - a rare lopsided butt kicking at the keg
USC - lone bright spot
Arizona & ASU - butts kicked.

If Tadd has any tricks up his sleeves, it's time to pull them out. There is a leadership vacuum on the floor that would have been shown by Nate or Levi or Carlon or Dre or Sabatino or Spencer in happier days. XJ and Scott and Ski just haven't shown that swagger and ability to be clutch when the outcome of the game is in the balance. These baby Buffs are struggling to fill the shoes of #RollTad.

Scott and Ski haven't been clutch? What? I really, really hope you're just talking about the ASU and UA games for Ski and Scott, and putting Scott in there is even stretching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott and Ski haven't been clutch? What? I really, really hope you're just talking about the ASU and UA games for Ski and Scott, and putting Scott in there is even stretching it.

Josh has been serviceable and reliable and consistant. He is a foundation for the team. He's my favorite player on the squad. He is doing his part, and then some. He is a bright spot. But since UW, his contributions are not enough to control 40 minutes. He and the cast around him aren't coming out hungry and grabbing leads. They aren't even keeping games against conference rivals close. Yeah, CU would be in a world of hurt without Josh. But he's not yet shown that he can draw greatness out of those around him.

Josh has been serviceable and reliable and consistant. He is a foundation for the team. He's my favorite player on the squad. He is doing his part, and then some. He is a bright spot. But since UW, his contributions are not enough to control 40 minutes. He and the cast around him aren't coming out hungry and grabbing leads. They aren't even keeping games against conference rivals close. Yeah, CU would be in a world of hurt without Josh. But he's not yet shown that he can draw greatness out of those around him.
The problem is, the big men are dependent on the guards to create for them, not the other way around. Josh has done everything we could ask of him, given the circumstances.

The problem is, the big men are dependent on the guards to create for them, not the other way around. Josh has done everything we could ask of him, given the circumstances.

I agree with that.

@ tini - But is Josh "clutch"? To be clutch, you have to be in a situation where the game hangs in the balance and you make plays the are the difference between victory and defeat. When you are on a team that is getting blown out, you are NOT in a situation to be called "clutch." I'm confident that Josh COULD be the difference between victory and defeat. But he is just not in that position in these post-Dinwiddie matchups.

Sorry but I'm not sure what else you want out of Scott, the guy is the best big man on the West Coast.
[tweet]426547585097015296[/tweet]

Ski was pretty damn good against UCLA and was excellent against USC. He's struggled on the road but he always has been a awful road player and a good neutral/home court player.

When has Scott had the ability to be clutch? It doesn't come down to a post player to be the clutch player in a game very often unless it is a FT, or a FG opportunity rebound/putback on either end. In those two cases, Josh Scott has more than shown that he's capable of making those plays, he does it pretty much all game anyway. Scott's a damn good FT shooter to, he's been clutch at the end of games at the line. Ski, well he's shown he's pretty clutch.

I don't recall a stretch in Tad Boyle's tenure at Colorado that have been as disheartening as these last six conference games.

USC - lone bright spot

If Tadd has any tricks up his sleeves, it's time to pull them out. There is a leadership vacuum on the floor that would have been shown by Nate or Levi or Carlon or Dre or Sabatino or Spencer in happier days. XJ and Scott and Ski just haven't shown that swagger and ability to be clutch when the outcome of the game is in the balance. These baby Buffs are struggling to fill the shoes of #RollTad.
It's the most disheartening because of the expectations but his first year was far from roses. There was the mini bad stretch during OOC play where lost 3 of 4 in (UGA loss wasn't bad, but USF and Harvard were). Then during the conference play, they lost 6 of 7 during a stretch including to Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Baylor (none of these were Tourney teams), only game they won in nearly a month was Iowa State at Coors. Even though we got screwed by the committee, it did feel at times we were underachieving given the talent we had on that team.

http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=3888&SPID=257&DB_OEM_ID=600&Q_SEASON=2010

Sorry but I'm not sure what else you want out of Scott, the guy is the best big man on the West Coast.
[tweet]426547585097015296[/tweet]

Ski was pretty damn good against UCLA and was excellent against USC. He's struggled on the road but he always has been a awful road player and a good neutral/home court player.

Sorry. Josh is having a break-out season, but he just had a sub par game. 1-4 from the line. 5-12 from the field. Only 7 rebounds.
If he were clutch, he'd have sunk his FTs, and pulled enough rebounds to grab the double-double tonight.

It's the most disheartening because of the expectations but his first year was far from roses. There was the mini bad stretch during OOC play where lost 3 of 4 in (UGA loss wasn't bad, but USF and Harvard were). Then during the conference play, they lost 6 of 7 during a stretch including to Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Baylor (none of these were Tourney teams), only game they won in nearly a month was Iowa State at Coors. Even though we got screwed by the committee, it did feel at times we were underachieving given the talent we had on that team.

http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=3888&SPID=257&DB_OEM_ID=600&Q_SEASON=2010

that was before we had experienced success. we weren't ranked and headed for a top 3 to 6 seed. this is a mind **** that is unlike anything. we're reeling and have to find a way to get wins and salvage this season. if we don't, the consequences could be far greater than imagined. the reality is just hitting 'reboot' next season if we completely collapse down this stretch won't be easy. there is an enormous amount at stake.

Sorry. Josh is having a break-out season, but he just had a sub par game. 1-4 from the line. 5-12 from the field. Only 7 rebounds.
If he were clutch, he'd have sunk his FTs, and pulled enough rebounds to grab the double-double tonight.
Even the best of them have bad nights, he's had bad nights in two games this year, UCSB and tonight, that's it.

did you watch the game? he is starting to fall in love with that long jumper. It makes me mad.

Thanks for tackling the point about this being potentially the most painful 6 game stretch Tad has suffered while at CU.

The stretch you mention didn't register for me because Boyle was playing with Bz's recruits at that point and was just some under-qualified coach hired away from Greeley.

Since then, he has systematically elevated fan expectations season after season, and transformed the CEC into a sold-out venue that satisfies fans game in and game out.

The consecutive 20 win seasons, P12 championship and tourney appearances added to Tad's resume as a miracle worker. Now, with Spencer out, Tad's myth and legend as a miracle worker is facing a challenge. There is a very real possibility these Buffs plummet from a nationally ranked 14-2 team to a middling P12 conference team that misses out on March Madness. All eyes are on Tad to see what kind of coaching skills he can muster to pull these baby buffs out of a post-Dinwiddie tail spin. If he gets this group to the tourney, he deserves strong consideration for P12 coach of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you watch the game? he is starting to fall in love with that long jumper. It makes me mad.

Sometimes he wonders out past the arc. :wow: I'm like, "Josh! Get your ass closer to the paint, where you can work that post magic and help out with a tip-in or a rebound."

Any criticism of Jelly is absurd. He's our only legit offensive threat. That's a fact. If we do get into a
last possession game, getting him the ball on the block and letting him spin is a high percentage play. Anybody else we can say that about?

Any criticism of Jelly is absurd. He's our only legit offensive threat. That's a fact. If we do get into a
last possession game, getting him the ball on the block and letting him spin is a high percentage play. Anybody else we can say that about?

Why is he above criticism? He can still improve. His shot selection needs work and he is slow to react to double teams.

On defense he does good around the basket but when he flashes off the screen he takes forever to get back to his man.

He is going to be even more beastly next year.

Even the best of them have bad nights, he's had bad nights in two games this year, UCSB and tonight, that's it.

Whatevs. Jackson State and CSU weren't exactly stellar. He's had 9 double-doubles this season, but only 1 in the last 6 conference games. His highest scoring game this season is 20 points. Josh is good, but it appears you are exaggerating, again. You and those rose colored glasses.

Whatevs. Jackson State and CSU weren't exactly stellar. He's had 9 double-doubles this season, but only 1 in the last 6 conference games. His highest scoring game this season is 20 points. Josh is good, but it appears you are exaggerating, again. You and those rose colored glasses.
126.9 ORtg
54.1 eFG%
61.9 TS%
23.1 DR%
4.2 Block%
68.5 FTRate
81.25 FT%

Clearly, I'm exaggerating here :rolling_eyes:

Thanks for tackling the point about this being potentially the most painful 6 game stretch Tad has suffered while at CU.

The stretch you mention didn't register for me because Boyle was playing with Bz's recruits at that point and was just some under-qualified coach hired away from Greeley.

Since then, he has systematically elevated fan expectations season after season, and transformed the CEC into a sold-out venue that satisfies fans game in and game out.

The consecutive 20 win seasons, P12 championship and tourney appearances added to Tad's resume as a miracle worker. Now, with Spencer out, Tad's myth and legend as a miracle worker is facing a challenge. There is a very real possibility these might Buffs plummet from a nationally ranked 14-2 team to a middling P12 conference team that misses out on March Madness. All eyes are on Tad to see what kind of coaching skills he can muster to pull these baby buffs out of a post-Dinwiddie tail spin. If he gets this group to the tourney, he deserves strong consideration for P12 coach of the year.
I agree with just about everything you wrote. We're really only talking about two years here and this is the first year it seems that we were realistically talking about a deep run. So yeah it's the most disheartening, it's not really a competition.

Earlier this year, we were talking about not being satisfied after OOC games where the opponents didn't stand much of a chance.

Think we'll all be happy at this point if they make the Tournament. I haven't been this disillusioned with the team as much as I was tonight. I didn't expect ASU to just whack us, I thought we'd be competitive. And yeah if Tad is able to ride the ship, I'll be even more impressed with him than I currently am.

Like someone else said, Spencer was the most important player and the one we couldn't afford to lose. If a good team loses their QB, it's very likely a completely different team. Same thing here.

126.9 ORtg
54.1 eFG%
61.9 TS%
23.1 DR%
4.2 Block%
68.5 FTRate
81.25 FT%

Clearly, I'm exaggerating here :rolling_eyes:

you use numbers like a drunk uses a lamp post, more for support than illumination.

You win, Josh Scott clearly isn't doing enough

:rolling_eyes:

Curse those numbers!

Only you could be so one dimensional in your Josh Scott worship to completely miss the discussion about this being the most painful 6-game stretch of Boyle's career at Colorado.

Go sit back down at the kiddy table. Adults are having a discussion here.

Only you could be so one dimensional in your Josh Scott worship to completely miss the discussion about this being the most painful 6-game stretch of Boyle's career at Colorado.

Go sit back down at the kiddy table. Adults are having a discussion here.
If I was arguing against that in any shape or form about this being the toughest stretch in Tad's career at CU I wouldn't be talking only about Scott right now.

USC - lone bright spot

I didn't disagree with any of the rest of your post, I pointed that out as a part I disagreed with. Is that suddenly abnormal to you?

If I was arguing against that in any shape or form about this being the toughest stretch in Tad's career at CU I wouldn't be talking only about Scott right now.

I didn't disagree with any of the rest of your post, I pointed that out as a part I disagreed with. Is that suddenly abnormal to you?

See. That's where your internet persona is abrasive. You nit pick without making any concessions. You focus on one point and hammer on it at the exclusion of everything else. It's not an approach that is very ingratiating.

As to Scott, I think my opinion on him as a player is well stated in this thread. He is the best we've got, and he's really good.

But since you love numbers, I offer you some other players who are doing better than Josh. There are players having better seasons and are quite possibly more elite than he is.

Alan Williams, UCSB. JR 24.3 ppg 11.1 rb/g
Javon McCrea, Buffalo. SR 16.8 9.6
Larry Nance JR . Wyo. JR. 15.7 9.1
Kyle Anderson UCLA. SO. 15.3 9.3
Brandon West, JackSt SR. 11.1 11.0
Julius Randle, Kentucky FR. 16.7 10.8
Shawn Long, LA-La. So. 21.5 11.0
Josh Scott, Colo So. 13.6. 9.2
Scott Eatherson, Northeastern 16.9 10.0

You asked what more we could want from Josh Scott? How about climbing a few more spots up the stat sheet, for starters.

See. That's where your internet persona is abrasive. You nit pick without making any concessions. You focus on one point and hammer on it at the exclusion of everything else. It's not an approach that is very ingratiating.

As to Scott, I think my opinion on him as a player is well stated in this thread. He is the best we've got, and he's really good.

But since you love numbers, I offer you some other players who are doing better than Josh. There are players having better seasons and are quite possibly more elite than he is.

Alan Williams, UCSB. JR 24.3 ppg 11.1 rb/g
Javon McCrea, Buffalo. SR 16.8 9.6
Larry Nance JR . Wyo. JR. 15.7 9.1
Kyle Anderson UCLA. SO. 15.3 9.3
Brandon West, JackSt SR. 11.1 11.0
Julius Randle, Kentucky FR. 16.7 10.8
Shawn Long, LA-La. So. 21.5 11.0
Josh Scott, Colo So. 13.6. 9.2
Scott Eatherson, Northeastern 16.9 10.0

You asked what more we could want from Josh Scott? How about climbing a few more spots up the stat sheet, for starters.

I'm going to jump in here....... The guy in bold is one reason why I think CU may have been overrated, CU beat the guy in bold's team by 8 at home without him. Wonder what would have happened if they had him?

Maybe the meltdown around here would have started earlier?

I'm going to jump in here....... The guy in bold is one reason why I think CU may have been overrated, CU beat the guy in bold's team by 8 at home without him. Wonder what would have happened if they had him?

Maybe the meltdown around here would have started earlier?

Its still a W. At that point they were doing just enough to win. Harvard and Wyo are good examples of that.

Back