What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What program is most likely to hire Art Briles as HC?

No way Briles goes to UT. There is baaad blood between UT & Briles. The article says Briles just passed his ballot off, but everyone familiar with it knows that's not the case. Apparently it goes back to something that happened while Briles was at UT.
Yep, with his son or both? Heard a lot of **** about that.

No way Briles goes to UT. There is baaad blood between UT & Briles. The article says Briles just passed his ballot off, but everyone familiar with it knows that's not the case. Apparently it goes back to something that happened while Briles was at UT.
I did not know that...

Auburn...they don't give a rip what anyone else thinks if he can beat Saban and Bama. Plus its been two whole years since they played in the national championship game, so Malzahn is on the hotseat this year, lol.

I think about it as more of a process of elimination to get down to the candidates. I think these are the characteristics of a school that will hire Briles:
  • Not a P5 school. I do not think an P5 school will deal with the firestorm of being the first to hire Briles post **** bailer, especially a prominent one.
  • Located in Texas. I believe it would need to be a school in Texas- he's coached his entire career there and would have the biggest recruiting bump.
  • Not an FCS school. I do not believe he'd come back for an FCS school or a lesser-regarded FBS school.
  • Desperate to avoid getting left behind in conference realignment, and therefore wiling to take the media heat.
There are 7 non-P5 FBS schools in Texas: Houston, NT, Rice, SMU, Texas State, UTSA, UTEP.
  • I think Houston is probably out- I think they'll be in the BigXII expansion and keep Herman.
  • I don't think Rice cares that much about winning or getting into a P5- they've kept their current coach for 8 years, and they seem to be satisfied with him.
  • Texas State is pretty small-time: they're a Sun Belt school and the only one on this list. I don't think they'd make Briles' cut.
  • UTSA just hired their second-ever coach this offseason. I have to think they'd probably be unwilling to rock the boat.
That leaves NT, SMU, and UTEP:
  • North Texas:
    • Case for:
      • Rotate coaches frequently in the last few years in order to try to find the right fit
      • Built a new on-campus stadium- behavior showing they are trying to stay relevant
      • In the DFW metro- close access to recruits. Attractive to Briles?
    • Case against:
      • Just hired a coach (although he seems to be a placeholder internal TE coach hire)
      • "Smaller time" than SMU and maybe even UTEP
  • SMU:
    • Case for:
      • Always put their name in the hat for BXII expansion, desperate to move up. They were "in" at one point in time and the Death Penalty has all but shut them out. I think they'd do anything to get back "In"
      • History and in the DFW- good fit for Briles?
      • Chad Morris has not impressed much, might be willing to go away from him after two seasons
      • Donor culture- could they get enough together for Briles?
    • Case against:
      • Only 2nd year for the current coach.
  • UTEP:
    • Case for:
      • Probably willing to quietly look for a new coach, current coach - 15-23 including 9-15 in conference in three seasons so far with a slight downward trend
      • Have taken chances on coaches in the past (Mike Price)
      • Probably the most support of any of the programs on this list
    • Case against:
      • WAAAAAY the hell out there in El Paso
      • Do they care about being in G5 or P5?
With everything said and done, my money would be on SMU.

I'm only putting together a list of major schools since I'm sure many lower tier would want him. I wish he would have had a show cause slapped on him though.

Tennessee, ASU, Penn State, Oregon, Nebraska, Miami, Louisville and Kentucky are all schools that have shown they will sell their souls for wins. None of them would be a surprise to me - which really sucks.

PS And while it is probably unlikely, Baylor is clearly willing to sell its soul, so can't rule them out trying to get him back some how.

Auburn...they don't give a rip what anyone else thinks if he can beat Saban and Bama. Plus its been two whole years since they played in the national championship game, so Malzahn is on the hotseat this year, lol.

Correct.

It would be a move of desperation and the politics would probably keep most P5 conferences from allowing it, if not the ADs themselves.
I think he'll end up at a place like SMU or any P5 wannabe school. There's no desperation like P5 wannabe desperation!

His reputation is far more tarnished than Leavitt's or Petrino's and we've seen the circuitous route they've had to take to get back. I'd put Leavitt's track record at USF up against any college coach's of that era.

Shades of Dr. Tom in 1990. What a dick.

Texas blue blood - do not see him leaving Texas. My guess would be TCU is next on his resume

I think about it as more of a process of elimination to get down to the candidates. I think these are the characteristics of a school that will hire Briles:
  • Not a P5 school. I do not think an P5 school will deal with the firestorm of being the first to hire Briles post **** bailer, especially a prominent one.
  • Located in Texas. I believe it would need to be a school in Texas- he's coached his entire career there and would have the biggest recruiting bump.
  • Not an FCS school. I do not believe he'd come back for an FCS school or a lesser-regarded FBS school.
  • Desperate to avoid getting left behind in conference realignment, and therefore wiling to take the media heat.
There are 7 non-P5 FBS schools in Texas: Houston, NT, Rice, SMU, Texas State, UTSA, UTEP.
  • I think Houston is probably out- I think they'll be in the BigXII expansion and keep Herman.
  • I don't think Rice cares that much about winning or getting into a P5- they've kept their current coach for 8 years, and they seem to be satisfied with him.
  • Texas State is pretty small-time: they're a Sun Belt school and the only one on this list. I don't think they'd make Briles' cut.
  • UTSA just hired their second-ever coach this offseason. I have to think they'd probably be unwilling to rock the boat.
That leaves NT, SMU, and UTEP:
  • North Texas:
    • Case for:
      • Rotate coaches frequently in the last few years in order to try to find the right fit
      • Built a new on-campus stadium- behavior showing they are trying to stay relevant
      • In the DFW metro- close access to recruits. Attractive to Briles?
    • Case against:
      • Just hired a coach (although he seems to be a placeholder internal TE coach hire)
      • "Smaller time" than SMU and maybe even UTEP
  • SMU:
    • Case for:
      • Always put their name in the hat for BXII expansion, desperate to move up. They were "in" at one point in time and the Death Penalty has all but shut them out. I think they'd do anything to get back "In"
      • History and in the DFW- good fit for Briles?
      • Chad Morris has not impressed much, might be willing to go away from him after two seasons
      • Donor culture- could they get enough together for Briles?
    • Case against:
      • Only 2nd year for the current coach.
  • UTEP:
    • Case for:
      • Probably willing to quietly look for a new coach, current coach - 15-23 including 9-15 in conference in three seasons so far with a slight downward trend
      • Have taken chances on coaches in the past (Mike Price)
      • Probably the most support of any of the programs on this list
    • Case against:
      • WAAAAAY the hell out there in El Paso
      • Do they care about being in G5 or P5?
With everything said and done, my money would be on SMU.
UNT's coach is Seth Littrell, who was the UNC OC (or I guess officially AHC/TE), not an internal TE coach hire.

Damn I didn't know he was coming out trying to get a job now. I'm not above giving anyone a second chance but you can tell this I all show/bull**** after his comments since being fired, especially at cowboy camp last month.

They were just talking about this on Fox sports radio this morning. They claim that Baylor did not have a smoking gun and that the Art Briles redemption tour is underway. Both hosts mentioned LSU and Auburn as possibilities where the ADs want to win.

Back