What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What should be on the top 5 of Embo's to-do list?

Give them a chance? To do what? They seem to have corrected the false starts for the time being, but now we can't line up correctly. I can understand ONE five players in the backfield penalty. But two? Unacceptable. Holding play after holding play after holding play? What is up with the running game? We've got quite a few running backs, why is Rodney Stewart the ONLY RB who plays? Speaking of that running game - have we completely given up on running the ball. After making it such a huge focus of spring and fall practice, we barely even try now. Our first 3 offensive plays = 3 incomplete passes. Why does the kicked kick the ball out of bounds EVERY game? Why is the punter running left and kicking twenty (20) yard punts, only to follow that up by running left and kicking twenty yards? (The internet absolutely crucified Rick Neuheisel / Bobby Hauck when they ran the roll-out punt in 1998, but it's perfectly fine now?) Kyle Washington is the best we can do at kick returner? If we're never going to get the ball to the 20 yard line we might as well down the ball in the end zone.

I am all for a little flexibility, especially for coaches who are learning on the job. But some of this stuff is ridiculous.

Yes it is rediculous, but you have to see how they adjust and learn after a couple years. hell they have been decent at halftime adjustments, maybe they will be good at season adjustments.

Gonna be tough to near impossible to ever improve our talent level as long as we keep turning in 3 win seasons. Have to show some semblance of improvement

1. Find a way to get Matt Lubick on the coaching staff. Tony Levine from Houston too.
2. Recruit.
3. Recruit.
4. Recruit.
5. Recruit.

OH ****ING PLEASE!!! How much of this staff are new? What about our biggest problem, special teams, what about that guy?

Ever think the reason we suck on special teams is because we aren't ****ing talented?

Quit making excuses for the coaches that were here and didn't do their job bringing in talent.

Ever think the reason we suck on special teams is because we aren't ****ing talented?

Quit making excuses for the coaches that were here and didn't do their job bringing in talent.

NO, it's not that hard to not kick out of bounds, it's not that hard to not field a punt inside the 10, it's not that hard to find hard nosed dudes to block on KO coverage, etc.

Talent is an issue, but not enough to be sucking this bad on ST.

1. Find a way to get Matt Lubick on the coaching staff. Tony Levine from Houston too.
2. Recruit.
3. Recruit.
4. Recruit.
5. Recruit.

Yep. Bieniemy has been a disappointment thus far iyam. Still early.... I suppose:popcorn:

Talent is an issue on the team, but that's not really an issue that is going to change any time soon. I would venture a guess that 5 years from now, CU won't have better talent than Ohio State. CU probably won't have better talent than USC, or Oregon. Chances are Stanford will have better talent, as will Cal.

I think if you went back and looked at the recruiting rankings over the past five years, Hawaii would not outrank Colorado.

Job #1 is to find 5 offensive lineman who can play. It doesn't matter if seniors have to sit.

Job #1 is to find 5 offensive lineman who can play. It doesn't matter if seniors have to sit.

I really don't think our OL was the problem today. Too many penalties, but they blocked well.

As once was uttered in this program, "We gotta get ourselves some athletes!!"

That will go a long way to solving some of the problems. That'll also take a few years and will depend on this staff living up to it's recruiting billing. We'll see.

You can't be a dominant, physical running team without the physical specimens to do it. A 5'6" starting RB and a 5'7" backup RB won't cut it. The OL physically isn't built to be dominant right now.

The philosophy to score any points at all will be to throw the ball this year, and hope it sets up the run, not the other way around.

For several years now we've had to hope the few 4* or (very few) 5* recruits lived up to their billing. That's the difference between us and the recruiting juggernaut programs: They have enough 4-5* recruits coming in that even if they have some that fail to pan out, enough others will big time impact players. One 4* player in a recruiting class just ain't ever gonna cut it.

1.) have a come-to-jesus meeting with mike bohn about non-conference scheduling.
2.) have a come-to-jesus meeting with brookhart about absolutely every facet of special teams being horrendous.
3.) have a come-to-jesus meeting with eric bieniemy about getting the offense to line up correctly.
4.) pull castor's scholarship.
5.) pull a rabbit out of his hat on the recruiting trail.

amen!!!!!!

Agree on benching Castor from KO duty. Would have Oliver or even Grossnickle give it a shot.

No more Speedy on PR duty either. If we can't get the ball into P-Rich's hands on offense, I'd rather have him take over PR duty and give us a shot at breaking a big play.

Tyler needs to have better checkdowns, he locks into one guy each play and thats it. His body doesn't move and the defense never reacts to him trying to "look them off".

On D we are not "setting the edge" for ****. The 3-4 front can't work if Webb and Uzo-Diribe keep getting washed out in the running game. Rippy looked solid tonight but the outside pass rush got pushed waaayy outside and there was nobody holding the middle (Obi was double-teamed).

Delayed blitzing from different LB's is very much needed. When we did load the box and send 'em they came in at the same time as the line and the O-line picked up all their assignments. Having 1 or 2 delayed blitzers up the middle would have collapsed the pocket, stopped the QB scramble, or at least pressured a bad throw.

The only other thing we were missing tonight was overall speed and strength. If you watched special teams our guys looked like they were jogging (expect for Terrel Smith) and then stopped when blocked instead of fighting all the way down field through blocks and anything in their way. Our guys seem to have a delay in decision making that makes them seem slower than they really are. Forget 40 times, how fast you react to the other guys moves is true speed. We don't have it in very many places.

Special teams improvement - Why do we have the roll out punt in our system and why can we not block on a return
Improve the tackling
Stop the ****ing penalties
Maybe this falls in special teams, but Castor should never kick off again
Did I mention tackling improvement

No more Speedy on PR duty either. If we can't get the ball into P-Rich's hands on offense, I'd rather have him take over PR duty and give us a shot at breaking a big play.

Tyler needs to have better checkdowns, he locks into one guy each play and thats it. His body doesn't move and the defense never reacts to him trying to "look them off".

We've got to see the ball in P-Rich's hands as much as possible, punt returns included.

Agree on Tyler. With him locking on to one receiver, wish he'd throw in a pump fake now and then-- DBs really seem to be jumping the route as soon as he begins to throw the ball.

Getting our special teams to an average level would make us competitive for nearly every game left on our schedule. If we don't have the major ST errors today, we're in the game in the 4th.

Tim Brewster

Brewster obviously would be a nice hire for TEs/ST, but I am guessing he is going to have a lot of options after this season. Having him and Kennedy recruiting Texas would be nice though.

1. I disagree with going with the young guys. We need to play to the best of our ability and show well the rest of the season. If we only finish with 4 or 5 wins we need to be competitive against UCLA and USC. That will go along way for us in recruiting this year and recruiting California next year.
2. I would like to see more plays designed to get P.Rich the ball. I'm not just the bubble screen to the WR either. I want to see us use the Shanahan inspired hand off to the WR or fake it and hand it to the RB play. I think that will help set the edge on the defenders. A double reverse would be a good play to try also if we can get out near the 50 yard line.
3. I think we need to find away to get a player who can catch the ball out of the FB position. If that means Thornton or Slavin are back there 20 percent of the time then we do it. Cooley played FB last night for the Redskins. We need to make that position more of a weapon and threat on short yardage distances. The raiders FB is a former WR from U of W. We need to get some athleticism back there. I actually would support Tony Clemons back there 25 percent time if we had to.
4. Work on Special Teams and find out who can kick the ball the most efficiently. If we have to squib kick and let people start at there 30 every time lets go that route.
5. I support the idea of putting the best athletes out there. If that means only 35 guys see the field this week and we get a W. I am all for it.

Back