What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What should we do with Cabral

What should be Cabral's future w/ CU

• Fire him along with GB by season's end

Votes: 49 54.4%
  • Keep him as a LB coach

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Promote him as interim DC and can GB now!

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters

boydbuff

Club Member
Club Member
Cabral has been a loyal servant to CU for a few decades now and produced several NFL LBs. So what gives? Why is his unit sucking so bad right now after having so much good production from hims units in the past, especially when he has what was supposed to be one of the best units on our team (O or D)?

The only explanation I see is that the leadership of the team beginning w/ JE but probably more importantly GB is failing to create schemes that mesh with his group. And maybe there is a lot of giving up going on too.

So the question is what should we do w/ Cabral going forward, assuming JE is still around next year?

FYI, I voted to can GB now (like today) and promote Cabral to interim DC for the rest of the season. I still think all sings point to JE getting 1 more year. If Cabral can show improvement (hard not to) in the Defense, leave him in as DC for next season than let the chips fall where they may after that.

After all he did a great job as interim HC last year and it is a reward for him for his long-term loyalty. I know his unit is sucking right now, but it is such an anomaly that I don't think he is to blame.

I voted for move BC to DC and fire GB. (I feel so SEC)

I want some sort of hope that the games I am traveling across the country to see will have an iota of entertainment value.

I worry that the entertainment value per dollar will be roughly equivelant to CU's rushing yards per play during the Stanford game.

Clean house at the end of the season. No reason to shake up the staff with 2 weeks left. No point to it. Just fire them all Utah week.

You can always do that after the season... right now, move him to DC.

I misread by season's end as "at season's end". Hell, there are only two weeks left. Does it really matter at this point ?

The thought of JE staying around really depresses me.

I voted keep him! I do worry about his salary being too high after all these years, but if he voluntarily takes a cut then I'd say hopefully let him coach until he wants to retire (few more years maybe?). Nobody is at good at coaching linebackers as Coach Cabral.

I voted keep him! I do worry about his salary being too high after all these years, but if he voluntarily takes a cut then I'd say hopefully let him coach until he wants to retire (few more years maybe?). Nobody is at good at coaching linebackers as Coach Cabral.

Lol. CU hasn't had a good LB in 5 years and Cabral coached/recruited them all.

BTW, my vote is to put him in some administrative position after the season (not necessarily involving the football team)

I misread by season's end as "at season's end". Hell, there are only two weeks left. Does it really matter at this point ?

The thought of JE staying around really depresses me.

I admit that my opinion is completly selfish in wanting a change for the last two games. I do agree that we need to see is a complete change of staff for 2013. I wish they demonstrated anything that would give hope of a turnaround next year, but this staff gave nothing to grasp on to.

Lol. CU hasn't had a good LB in 5 years and Cabral coached/recruited them all.

BTW, my vote is to put him in some administrative position after the season (not necessarily involving the football team)

Been lots of discipline problems, academic issues and arrests coming from our LB group over the last bunch of years versus the rest of the team. I don't think things are working any more. He needs to get a HC job at a small school to get recharged.

Both 1 and 3. Let him DC for the last two games to build his resume knowing he's going to be on the job market come year end. Makes me sad to say because he's a great guy, but this whole staff needs to go.

Keep Cabral as an LB coach but get a new DC from OUTSIDE the program. I just did a quick search on FCS team defenses, asking the question which is the best defense in that lower level. (Division 1 = FBS. Division 2 = FCS.)

That distinction belongs to North Dakota State. The Bison. Their DC is in his first year as DC, 2nd total with the program. Prior to that he was a really good DC with Northern Iowa.

His name is Chris Klieman. Let's go get him.

"As defensive coordinator in 2009, Klieman led a UNI defensive unit that finished fourth in the nation in scoring defense (13.2 ppg). The Panthers also led the Missouri Valley Football Conference in rushing defense, passing defense and total defense, giving up a mere 267.2 yards per game. UNI held six of its 11 opponents to seven points or less during the 2009 season."

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle....DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205127944&Q_SEASON=2012

Keep Cabral as an LB coach but get a new DC from OUTSIDE the program.

no. no one doesn't think BC isn't a great Buff. but, there is no other program that continues to keep assistants across coaching hires the way we have with Cabral. he's great, everyone loves him....but reality is reality. whatever we keep doing doesn't work anymore and hasn't for over a decade.

we are terrible.

make Cabral Director of Football Operations or something....but, we need to flush the whole thing.

make Cabral Director of Football Operations or something....but, we need to flush the whole thing.

I wonder whether a better DC would make Cabral a better position coach, but it's hard to argue with you. It would just break my heart to see him no longer our LB coach. But the position has changed from his day, so I can't argue with you too much.

i think Embree gets year 3 and while i don't think it's best for Colorado football...i sort of understand it...but gawd we are bad. Bohn has some suction with the Tad Hire. so he rides. cancelling Embo points the arrow of ****e too far upward for the admins to deal with. i worked at CU for a decade....the admin at CU is a joke. fat and happy, driving Saabs.

and i agree Bisonic...the position has changed a lot since BC was backing up Mike Singletary. i miss that football, but that's a diff topic.

Firing GB now is just pointless. Wait until the end of the season and clean house. That's what I want but I'm still not expecting it to happen.

It's become stale at the LB position, both in recruiting and performance on the field. He's been an outstanding and loyal buff but all things come to an end.

Having said this, DO NOT LET BOHN HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH PICKING THE NEXT COACH OR COACHES.

Not sure if Cabral should receive as much criticism as he deserves. At times it appears GB has taken over LB coaching- I saw him coaching or rather, yelling at Jon Major on the sidelines yesterday.

Cabral has been one of the best position coaches in the country, but we need to lose all remnants of this staff, except perhaps McGhee since he can recruit; even then that's up to the next coach and that's a big "IF" on him too. GB seemed to be able to recruit CBs, but he hasn't been able to coach them up like our past CBs since he became DC.

Our LBs have been a joke. Webb was pretty good last year, but regressed after his injury. Major hasn't been the same and is always out of position. Some of that is scheme, but a lot of that is also instructing your guy to develop a nose for the ball. Cabral hasn't done that lately.

Back