What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What to do with Hirschman this season?

How would you handle Nick Hirschman?

• Redshirt him

Votes: 65 89.0%
  • Get him game experience

Votes: 8 11.0%

• Total voters
Hirschman has been money in everything I have seen him in. Where are you getting all these negatives about Hirschman? The kid choose to go to CU because it is his dream school.

Or Hansen for that matter. I like a lot of what I've seen from him. I think with experience and confidence he'll be very good.

Back to my argument for burning his RS this year. Berglund is coming in, for one, next year. You need some separation between him and any other recruit you might bring in and Hirschman. If things go according to Hoyle, Berglund will RS next year while Hansen starts and Hirschman is the back up. Then, in 2012, Hirschman will be the starter as a junior and Berglund will be the backup as a RS freshman. In 2013, Hirschman would be a senior starter, Berglund a soph back up who would project to be a starter as a junior. But things never go according to Hoyle.

This only works if there is a stable coaching situation in place. We don't have that. Chances are good that we'll have another coach at this time next year. I'd rather have the new guy working with Hirschman to get his system installed than to have to try to un-learn the system (as it is) that is in place now.

Hirschman would see very few snaps over 5th year senior Cody Hawkins IMO. Redshirt. how do we know Bergland is better than Hirschman? because he's a local kid?

I agree from what little i saw yesterday, Hirschman is not likely to make anyone forget Darian or Kordell based on the option play they ran for him.

It's Hirschman's hair razor decision to make.

If he needs to come in, it would either be due to mop-up or catastrophe.

RS is the obvious answer. Let him rule the scout team world this season and get in line for 3 or 4 years of starting time down the line.

Like wine, let him age and mature a bit.

Simple solution here: redshirt Tyler this year and let Hirschmann get some experience as #2 behind Cody. Next year Tyler starts and Hirschman can redshirt with Berglund getting backup duty. Then bring Tyler back the following year to start with Hirchman as backup and redshirt Berglund. Then Hirschman and Berglund can compete for the job in 2013 each with experience as a backup.

Don't like this plan? No problem, the beauty is you can change your mind at any time and take a guy's redshirt away, or put your starter on the bench, who cares you have 5 years with each guy to figure out what to do with him. This what they do at Florida and Texas...I think.

Last edited:
Simple solution here: redshirt Tyler this year and let Hirschmann get some experience as #2 behind Cody. Next year Tyler starts and Hirschman can redshirt with Berglund getting backup duty. Then bring Tyler back the following year to start with Hirchman as backup and redshirt Berglund. Then Hirschman and Berglund can compete for the job in 2013 each with experience as a backup. Don't like this plan? No problem, the beauty is you can change your mind at any time and take a guy's redshirt away, or put your starter on the bench, who cares you have 5 years with each guy to figure out what to do with him. This what they do at Florida and Texas...I think.

Wow. Another year of Cody under center. :shutter:

Sinkratz's tolerance for INT and sub 21 point offensive outings > mine.

Burning Hirschman's redshirt prematurely in anticipation of Berglund being the starter? Are you kidding me?

Remember two years ago when we were all super excited about the incoming class of Clark and Wynn? One is with another school and the other is playing TE. Things happen. Assuming that an incoming kid is so good that we need to clear out playing time for him before he is even really a part of the program is dumb.

I'm in the camp for mop up duty. You know CH would not like having his only chances to play as a mop up duty QB

Thought the last section there made it obvious I was joking, but apparently I failed.

Duly noted. I have evaluated my sarcasm detector as it relates to your posts and made some adjustments on my end.

Of course Tyler should red shirt this year. It's the right thing to do.

He is a relatively strong kid as evidenced by his lifts this spring. He just disappeared on the speed and agility parts. Less speed and quickness than Cody.

Conclusion: statue.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=824940

What the heck is "pro agility" and how can it be a viable measure if Espinoza leads the WRs? Talk about a statue...

Wow. Another year of Cody under center. :shutter:

Sinkratz's tolerance for INT and sub 21 point offensive outings > mine.

You're complaining about it but taking pictures? :lol:

I don't care how obvious the sarcasm was, this is a great plan for the future and a lot more realistic, considering the coach, than bringing Hirschman in as the backup. Unless of course it happens in the last game just to burn his way out of town.

What the heck is "pro agility" and how can it be a viable measure if Espinoza leads the WRs? Talk about a statue...

It's a 5-10-5 shuttle (also called 20 yard agility) that's used at the NFL combine and for SPARQ testing. You start in a 3-point stance, go left or right 5 yards, touch the line, run 10 yards back the other way, touch the line, and then finish by going the 5 yards back to the start line. Probably the best measure of a player's short area quickness and explosiveness. Doesn't surprise me at all that Espy excelled here. The drill does favor the shorter guys.

As far as thinking about incoming QBs in the future, that doesn't even factor in unless you have a rock solid commit from one of the top 5 HS QBs in the country. We all know that a) verbal committments mean very little. If/when Hawk gets fired and the other schools start re-offering Berglund how much does that verbal commit mean. and b) projecting a kid as a college starter based on his junior year of HS is an awfully iffy proposition. Even a lot of 4*/5* guys disappoint when they show up just like 2*/3* guys turn up frequently as star players. The odds are better for the higher ranked guy but there are no guarantees and you play to win right now.

That all said I look at it based on a situational consideration. If TH stays relatively healthy they Cody is the backup and Gorman is the #3 picking up scraps of playing time if there are any. Cody is always going to be ready if TH gets knicked for a couple of plays all the way up to finishing a game.

If on the other hand the season is still on balance (we are not 2-6 and falling fast) and TH suffers an injury that is going to keep him out for multiple weeks then you look at pulling the RS. Hawk would never do this but you even consider starting Nick and backing him up with Cody since Nick has the stronger arm, more mobility, and better downfield vision (he can see over his linemen.) You still have Cody to instruct and support him in his development and to fill in as needed.

The key is that Nick doesn't burn the shirt unless he is going to get significant, meaningfull playing time. Burning a shirt to go in for two series and hand off in a game with a 21 point spread makes no sense at all.

Redshirt him because Hawk won't be giving him any snaps in place of Cody and we can't assume Berglund will even be at CU next year. I think in the perfect world every incoming freshman redshirts, unless of course they play a position of need that can play early. QB is not that position. In two years when Tyler graduates, hopefully we have 3 guys in Hirschman, Berglund, and Sherry competing for the job and may the best man win.

Redshirt him! He will see no meaningful playing time this season unless Tyler goes down with an extended injury. Even if injury were to happen, I think you try to survive with the walk-on or even Evans or Scotty Mc as the back-up to Cody for the rest of this season. The goal should be to give Hirshman and any other solid quarterback prospects four solid years to compete, after a redshirt year.

As far as thinking about incoming QBs in the future, that doesn't even factor in unless you have a rock solid commit from one of the top 5 HS QBs in the country. We all know that a) verbal committments mean very little. If/when Hawk gets fired and the other schools start re-offering Berglund how much does that verbal commit mean. and b) projecting a kid as a college starter based on his junior year of HS is an awfully iffy proposition. Even a lot of 4*/5* guys disappoint when they show up just like 2*/3* guys turn up frequently as star players. The odds are better for the higher ranked guy but there are no guarantees and you play to win right now.

That all said I look at it based on a situational consideration. If TH stays relatively healthy they Cody is the backup and Gorman is the #3 picking up scraps of playing time if there are any. Cody is always going to be ready if TH gets knicked for a couple of plays all the way up to finishing a game.

If on the other hand the season is still on balance (we are not 2-6 and falling fast) and TH suffers an injury that is going to keep him out for multiple weeks then you look at pulling the RS. Hawk would never do this but you even consider starting Nick and backing him up with Cody since Nick has the stronger arm, more mobility, and better downfield vision (he can see over his linemen.) You still have Cody to instruct and support him in his development and to fill in as needed.

The key is that Nick doesn't burn the shirt unless he is going to get significant, meaningfull playing time. Burning a shirt to go in for two series and hand off in a game with a 21 point spread makes no sense at all.

Do you just ignore facts? Cody is quicker, faster and more athletic than Hirshman as evidenced by objective data.

Do you just ignore facts? Cody is quicker, faster and more athletic than Hirshman as evidenced by objective data.

I hope you are using the sarcasm font. He isn't going to make anyone forget Cordell Stewart but at least on his tapes Nick has some decent mobility. Cody has become a statue (a very short statue) in the pocket. I know that Hawk has a talent for finding the method of measurement or evaluation that justifies his position but to call Cody athletic is to call Shaquile O'Neal undersized.

The one huge advantage that Cody does have is his knowledge of the offense and his experience along with his leadership. He is at this point the best we could ask for in a guy ready to come in at a moments notice in the event of an injury. My fear is that despite what everyone else clearly sees with Cody and TH, Hawk will find a reason in his mind to justify playing Cody even if TH is healthy and ready to go.

Two things are obvious here. First, I did not make a good case for red shirting him as evidenced by the % gap growing. Second, YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF ****ING IDOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In order to break the confusion brewing here, it's spelled "Kordell".

Carry on.

spelling_police.jpg

Back