What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What to expect from Davis Webb (NOTHING - Cal Bound)

I hate Webb as much as anybody but he wasn't going to come here no matter what we said to him, and he certainly didn't want to be insurance (and if you watch him play you know he shouldn't be anybody's insurance). We should've brought somebody in but every time I brought that up after Webb people shot it down, so..

And for the record, Ryan Finley, who was a Grad Transfer after Webb flipped, has been exceptional in 3 starts for NC State and he's a JR so he wouldn't even have been just insurance.

Last edited:
Some of you may hate Cal for the Webb affair. I, quite frankly, am overjoyed they beat the Longhorns. Even better is if its true the Longhorns were screwed unfairly in the process. Because thats how it should be.

"Screwed" is the wrong word, in my opinion.

Down 7 points with just a minute-and-a-half remaining, everybody knew (coaches, fans, players, viewers) that Texas had to stop Cal on a third and one, to have a chance.

Did Texas stop Cal? No. The Cal RB burst through the line and scampered 55 yards to the end zone with nobody even near him. He casually (and deliberately) dropped the ball at the one, cruising into the end zone. Texas would have been "screwed" if it had been a bad spot that advanced the ball beyond the chains. Texas would have been screwed if a receiver trapped the ball and he was given a catch.

Texas didn't stop Cal. Was it a bad call? It was certainly a weird one, giving it back to Cal on the one. I would say that Texas was possibly denied an opportunity to attempt to go 80 yards to try to tie up a game with 1:25 on the clock and no timeouts on a technicality after getting run the **** over. But I think "screwed" sets up a false narrative. For instance, Oklahoma State got screwed.

I said "screwed" because a) Texas actually recovered the football, and 2) they moving the ball at will at that point during the game as well. 1:30 would have been plenty.

I said "screwed" because a) Texas actually recovered the football, and 2) they moving the ball at will at that point during the game as well. 1:30 would have been plenty.
They didn't "recover" the ball. The Texas player picked it up and handed it to the ref following the play. He had no more awareness that the ball had been dropped before the goal line than the RB did.

Didn't the Cal defense stop Texas on the two previous possessions?

The reason I disagreed with the term "screwed" was because Texas earned nothing. If Texas had earned a stop, and it wasn't given to them, then they would have been screwed. But Cal ran over the top of them. Should Texas have been given the ball at the 20? Maybe. But they weren't screwed. They were run over by the Cal offense when they needed a stop. They earned nothing. They deserved nothing. But maybe on a technicality they should have been given something.

While you are safe to say no one predicted the exact quarter and situation in which Sefo limped off the field, you are missing a key point.

Lots of fans witnessed Sefo take a beating and stay in the game too long on any number of occasions over the past three years, with a fresh memory of Sefo failing to slide feet first and take a nasty body blow that dislodged the football against CSU in the opener. He was pulled way too late when UMass oand Carolina Southern came to Boulder in seasons past.

We were shocked at how the offense stumbled after Sefo came up injured last season against USC. We were shocked that a gimpy Sefo was put in harms way again for his final series against Michigan.

Colorado fans have not been shy about voicing displeasure on the subject of QB depth, QB development, QB recruiting, and the horror of watching an injured Sefo take the field for several series too long.

Is Sefo a warrior? Yes.
Is Sefo a leader? Yes.
Is Sefo going to avoid injury for a 12 game season when considering the frequency and aggressive running style? History over the past few seasons and yesterday's 3Q in Ann Arbor indicates an emphatic "Hell No."

So I disagree with you. Fans could predict the need for QB depth because we collectively know injuries are part of football. We see Sefo take shots time after time. We can predict Sefo's eligibility is coming to the end.

Fans can predict the need for a serviceable backup for this year and for the future.

We see teams like Ohio State or Texas or A&M win with freshmen ad know the value of back up QBs in the college game.

Yeah. Hindsight has tought CU fans a lot, including how to predict that MacIntyre's fortunes are disproportionately tied to Sefo's health. When CU's QB recruiting fell on its face this spring, we collectively predicted that the biggest risk to bowl eligibility and MacIntyre's job security is Sefo's health. And we recognize that yesterday's injury is potentially a much bigger loss than than the defeat itself.

Actually you and I don't have disagreement at all in this regard. But we're also talking about two different things. The lack of QB depth is a huge problem, and the fact that Montez a) looked lost and b) was given no chance by an offense that has no confidence in him is disappointing to say the least.

But that's not what I was referring to. My post was in response to those saying that MM ****ed up by not promising the starting job to Webb. First of all, and probably the only thing that really matters, is the only way Webb is guaranteed the starting job is if Sefo was redshirting, which makes this whole discussion moot. If we had Webb instead of Sefo, and Webb was the one who went down, we'd still be stuck in the same situation we are in right now. But also, the other point is that you can't go to your three-year starter, who is busting his ass to get back on the field, and say - "I know you're feeling better and have been working hard, but we have this other guy who may or may not be a really awesome QB, so you have to RS". What does that communicate to Sefo, or the rest of the team? Nothing good.

Apparently what to expect from Davis Webb is interceptions, lots of interceptions. That crap ASU defense gave up mass amounts of yards but still somehow made Webb look clueless. Yesterday was such a good day.

Unfortunately everything is working out for him numbers wise (except those picks). He doesn't care if they win he is just trying to pad the numbers for his draft status.

Unfortunately everything is working out for him numbers wise (except those picks). He doesn't care if they win he is just trying to pad the numbers for his draft status.

Agree. Will be interesting to see if Goff ever hits the field for the rams this year. Webb will be lumped in with him in terms of the question about transitioning from the CAL system to the NFL. Webb has a great arm, but will his game translate into the NFL.

Agree. Will be interesting to see if Goff ever hits the field for the rams this year. Webb will be lumped in with him in terms of the question about transitioning from the CAL system to the NFL. Webb has a great arm, but will his game translate into the NFL.

That's going to be the interesting thing for me, too - if Goff struggles, will Webb's stock fall?

Apparently what to expect from Davis Webb is interceptions, lots of interceptions. That crap ASU defense gave up mass amounts of yards but still somehow made Webb look clueless. Yesterday was such a good day.

It was a good day yesterday but would have been better if Cal beat ASU. Webb could help us by beating any of the P12 South teams. Cal was in control of the game early but blew the lead, and instead of only CU and Utah being tied atop the division, now ASU is 1-0 too. We want all the North teams to beat all the South teams, except for CU.

Back