What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What to expect from Sefo Liufau?

Best be getting Jaleel ready this summer to hedge against Sefo not being ready by September. Gehrke and Montez are unlikely to even beat lowly CSU. Losing Apsay was very unfortunate.

I like a healthy Sefo over Awini but Jaleel over the rest. Does Awini have a good enough arm and sense of timing to run this new scheme that Chiv has installed?

Now I have 3 games to watch each weekend this Fall: Buffs, whoever is trashing Nebraska, and now whoever can come through and ruin Davis Webb and Cal.
You should be banned!

If they are truly going to run a version of the TT offense the O-line will be better if for nothing else then the QB will not be holding the ball as long. By design there will be WR match ups that will be wide open very quickly. It then comes down to decision making by the QB. I have no idea why Lindgren is here with Chev returning to Boulder, but he is still here. They need to get 2 of these guys as ready as they possibly can and hope for the best. I have been a MM supporter but my faith is wearing thin. To see the difference Leavitt and Chiaverini made when they each showed up has me wondering if Mac is doomed and this needs to change. I hope I am wrong but yesterday just pounded another nail in Mac's coffin.

I think QBs, particularly ones that run by design, or are running for their lives, use their feet and cut a lot. It only takes one time to reinjure it.
It's hard to know what to expect with this offense in 2016, with the addition of Chev, but if they run anything close to what TTU does, he shouldn't be running up the middle by design or running for his life like he was last year.

QBs clearly still need to move around, especially in the college game, but my point was that Chad's first hand experience with this injury is coming from a position that is far more active and violent.

From everything I have heard, Sefo will be in playing shape by Fall camp. Whether or not that is 100% remains to be seen. If he isn't 100%, I imagine we could see two QB's in games this year.

From everything I have heard, Sefo will be in playing shape by Fall camp. Whether or not that is 100% remains to be seen. If he isn't 100%, I imagine we could see two QB's in games this year.
Part of me hopes to see 2 QBs in Pac 12 play regardless.... Would love to see Awini get a dedicated package that they regularly bring in like AZ did with Randall.

Part of me hopes to see 2 QBs in Pac 12 play regardless.... Would love to see Awini get a dedicated package that they regularly bring in like AZ did with Randall.

Problem with that is that Awini hasn't been able to prove that he can throw the football with any consistency. Any dedicated package with Awini in it, and the D will sell out 100% for the run.

Now if they bring Awini in and run some triple option, we might be on to something.

Problem with that is that Awini hasn't been able to prove that he can throw the football with any consistency. Any dedicated package with Awini in it, and the D will sell out 100% for the run.

Now if they bring Awini in and run some triple option, we might be on to something.
That's more of what I was thinking. IIRC, Randall wasn't a major passing threat either. It's just something to catch the defense off guard in something they haven't seen much of, if any.

I think the problem is going to be that Sefo is going to be day to day and game to game. The injury will have the potential to have complications and he will be putting a lot of stress on it. I think it might be hard to manage for the coaches because he will be ready mentally and emotionally, but his foot might hold him back due to pain and stability. Plus, I think he will need to worry about mechanics as it might be hard to place his foot to throw accurately. It will be hard and you don't want your starter going in and out all the time.

I think the problem is going to be that Sefo is going to be day to day and game to game. The injury will have the potential to have complications and he will be putting a lot of stress on it. I think it might be hard to manage for the coaches because he will be ready mentally and emotionally, but his foot might hold him back due to pain and stability. Plus, I think he will need to worry about mechanics as it might be hard to place his foot to throw accurately. It will be hard and you don't want your starter going in and out all the time.

All depends on how his foot heals. He may be absolutely fine by the time the season rolls around. He may have lingering pain. He may re-injure it. I know for a fact though, that Sefo will be out there until he is told he can't be. The kid tried to run back out there when he injured his foot the first time. He missed 1 series against CSU after he separated his shoulder, and the only reason he missed that series was so the Docs could go get some drugs to shoot him up with.

I love reading evaluations from Jeric over some clown from the dominant media.
Especially when Jeric points out that "Clown" had a really shi**y Connor Cook as the #3 NFL QB overall! (Just as said Clown, in the past, has over-rated other "system" QBs at UH, FLA, FSU and TTech.)

Guess the Broncs really F'ed upby taking Lynch, eh? After all, the Hair knows all! Actually when you give the least amount of thought to this, NOBODY can accurately rank all but a few of the most outstanding QBs........and even then, Ryan Leaf or Christian Ponder anyone? Buehler?

If they are truly going to run a version of the TT offense the O-line will be better if for nothing else then the QB will not be holding the ball as long. By design there will be WR match ups that will be wide open very quickly. It then comes down to decision making by the QB. I have no idea why Lindgren is here with Chev returning to Boulder, but he is still here. They need to get 2 of these guys as ready as they possibly can and hope for the best. I have been a MM supporter but my faith is wearing thin. To see the difference Leavitt and Chiaverini made when they each showed up has me wondering if Mac is doomed and this needs to change. I hope I am wrong but yesterday just pounded another nail in Mac's coffin.
Lingren is a better QBs coach than OC. He did a very decent job getting David Fales into NFL positioning. With more emphasis on his strengths as a position coach, Lingren could be key. Chev definitely ain't a QB coach.

As for George and a new coach, the pieces are already in place: Leavitt as HC, Tumpkin moves to DC and Chev has the "co" removed from OC. Continuity, with no re-start necessary.

Have you seen our O Line play?

I started to post this but beating a dead horse does no one any good. That is still by far the biggest question mark that makes or breaks the fall season. Sefo is probably still going to get tattooed a few times even if we run a TT style offense. Hopefully he doesnt get hurt.

Especially when Jeric points out that "Clown" had a really shi**y Connor Cook as the #3 NFL QB overall! (Just as said Clown, in the past, has over-rated other "system" QBs at UH, FLA, FSU and TTech.)

Guess the Broncs really F'ed upby taking Lynch, eh? After all, the Hair knows all! Actually when you give the least amount of thought to this, NOBODY can accurately rank all but a few of the most outstanding QBs........and even then, Ryan Leaf or Christian Ponder anyone? Buehler?
I'm no Kiper fan, but it's a little early to be assuming he overrated Cook or underrated Lynch.

Lingren is a better QBs coach than OC. He did a very decent job getting David Fales into NFL positioning. With more emphasis on his strengths as a position coach, Lingren could be key. Chev definitely ain't a QB coach.

As for George and a new coach, the pieces are already in place: Leavitt as HC, Tumpkin moves to DC and Chev has the "co" removed from OC. Continuity, with no re-start necessary.
I think there is a better then 50/50 chance that this happens if they win 6 or less

The biggest thing people fail to mention is his record and lack of consistency and not being able to not home in on a target and his key turnovers and his horrendous starts to games or horrendous stretches when they have a lead, etc, etc

Lol. Who has failed to mention any of these.

If MM is really on the hot seat (I'm not convinced he is), then everything should be on the table, including platooning QBs. Let Awini run the option for a few series a game.

If MM is really on the hot seat (I'm not convinced he is), then everything should be on the table, including platooning QBs. Let Awini run the option for a few series a game.

I am all for holding out on it until conference play, then unleash it against the ducks. Give the Pac-12 DC's something else to worry about when game planning.

I am hoping that Chev is bringing a quick strike type offense. Get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly. Puts the responsibility on the WR's to get YAC, but saves the QB from getting demolished.
This only works if you have a QB and receivers who can execute it. I have to believe that Lindgren would have done this if he could.

He did do it. He did it in 2014. For some reason he didn't do it in 2015.
I don't remember much of it in 2014. Who was the target for short/quick throws? You also need to wonder how much the quick passing game led to ints in 2014.

I don't remember much of it in 2014. Who was the target for short/quick throws? You also need to wonder how much the quick passing game led to ints in 2014.

To thrown the ball nearly 500 times, it had to leave Sefo's hand quickly. Lots of quick underneath screens, lots of short routes to spruce.

There were a ton of "no gain WR & RB screens" that did a lot for Sefo's completion percentage but didn't do much to move the chains. Used so much that they were very easily diagnosed and recognized. So we had what occurred in the Utah game at the end of the season. Lindgren looked at where the yards and turnovers came from in 2014 in his post-season analysis and the result was to cut much of that out of the 2015 game plans. Despite that, Sefo's completion % didn't go down much in 2015 (65.3% to 61.9%) and it had the positive impact of his YPA going up significantly (6.4 to 7.0). Unfortunately, holding onto the ball longer also resulted in an artificially low 2014 sack total becoming one of the worst in the country in 2015. Sefo took a beating with multiple injuries and the pressure caused turnovers & bad down/distance situations.

For 2016, the key is going to be finding a way to get the ball out faster while also making those positive plays for the offense rather than a hope & a prayer that someone can break a couple tackles and no DB will diagnose to jump the route. That's exactly what Chev is supposed to be bringing. This is fixable. I have quite a bit of confidence that we're going to have a highly effective pass offense this season.

To thrown the ball nearly 500 times, it had to leave Sefo's hand quickly. Lots of quick underneath screens, lots of short routes to spruce and ONLY Spruce!.
FIFY! That was part of his downfall. The TTech O is about spreading the ball around to 5-7 WRs and the TE.

Lingren and Sefo were not doing that in 2014. Chev will at least try to. That's what worked for Gerkhe in the Spring scrimmage and he looked pretty comfortable doing it.

FIFY! That was part of his downfall. The TTech O is about spreading the ball around to 5-7 WRs and the TE.

Lingren and Sefo were not doing that in 2014. Chev will at least try to. That's what worked for Gerkhe in the Spring scrimmage and he looked pretty comfortable doing it.

Devin Ross thanks you for forgetting he dropped the ball...

Back