What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What to expect from Sefo Liufau?

What I should have said was...

"Devin Ross would have liked this post but he dropped the mouse."

All kidding aside, I expect he'll break out of that slump and have a break out year this year. I think these kinds of things will be corrected by Chev.
But, but, but....Walters...but, but.....the "best coach".......but, but, but......

I thought Sefo was on his way to, possibly, his best game as a Buff against USC when, BAM!, injured. I also think his shoulder injury against CSU effected his performance for quite a while.

When you lose out on Webb, several coaches should shoulder the blame. Not a hard concept to grasp.
I think Webb is most to blame. There's not a whole lot the coaches could have done other than force the issue when the rumors of his courtship with Cal surfaced. In the end, I don't think it would have mattered. This is 90% on Webb and 10% on MM/Chev, IMO.

I think Webb is most to blame. There's not a whole lot the coaches could have done other than force the issue when the rumors of his courtship with Cal surfaced. In the end, I don't think it would have mattered. This is 90% on Webb and 10% on MM/Chev, IMO.
Yep. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I think that was Plato, or Confucius or someone who said that.

If Sefo wasn't hurt, would our outlook on the season be different?

In the alternate universe where Webb never signed the financial agreement with CU and just went to Cal instead, would we be this pessimistic about the upcoming season? With a Senior quarterback, a bunch of incoming talent at the offensive skill positions, and the return of guys like Gillam and Tupou?

In the alternate universe where Webb never signed the financial agreement with CU and just went to Cal instead, would we be this pessimistic about the upcoming season? With a Senior quarterback, a bunch of incoming talent at the offensive skill positions, and the return of guys like Gillam and Tupou?

That's been my thought process. I think we've got a pretty good team this year.

But wouldn't it be, mostly mmac, their fault as to why he didn't want to stay. OL, WR, offense...

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cu...liufaus-recovery-takes-added-urgency-cu-buffs

"From my standpoint and from what I do, we're progressing," Wilson said. "From what I've seen, there's no hiccups in our plan and we're going to move forward and he's not complaining of anything."

"The fact that he's able to squat and do Olympic lifting is a good sign," Wilson said, "because one is stationary strength and one is a dynamic strength/speed movement and both can tell you a lot of things on whether a guy can handle force and impact on his foot."

That's been my thought process. I think we've got a pretty good team this year.

I agree that we will have an improved team this year. I am hoping it will be 2 wins better which gets to the magic number of 6. 1 game is not enough but it will be improvement. The QB recruiting is an issue though and we have major gaps and that is on the coaches. They just cannot seem to sell the vision of the future to enough upper echelon guys at this point. We are going to have to do if through incremental improvement and that is killing a lot of us who want to see bigger jumps.

We desperately need to get to the 6 win mark this year in order for this progression to keep moving forward. If not, recruiting will get even tougher and I do not see all of the guys committed staying with this staff until Feb.

It is kind of crazy that all this hand wringing is over a 2 game swing, especially when we lost 5 by 8pts or less. IMO Diego has as much blame to shoulder in those situations as Sefo does.

Also - if Sefo didnt get hurt, we win against USC and Utah and we would have broken the bown drought last season. He's a tough kid, and since the injury he's gotten a chance to spectate the game and be a "teacher" instead of being fully involved in the execution of the game. There is a saying that you can't fully understand something until you're able to explain it and teach it to someone else. I hope Sefo has spent all of his free time with Chev and BL, fully understanding every detail of the playbook as well as why the plays do what they do and why they're supposed to work. If the shoulder and the foot are good to go in fall camp, I am fine with Sefo playing QB. If not, it's time for the Montez show to begin I think.

Also - if Sefo didnt get hurt, we win against USC and Utah and we would have broken the bown drought last season. He's a tough kid, and since the injury he's gotten a chance to spectate the game and be a "teacher" instead of being fully involved in the execution of the game. There is a saying that you can't fully understand something until you're able to explain it and teach it to someone else. I hope Sefo has spent all of his free time with Chev and BL, fully understanding every detail of the playbook as well as why the plays do what they do and why they're supposed to work. If the shoulder and the foot are good to go in fall camp, I am fine with Sefo playing QB. If not, it's time for the Montez show to begin I think.

I am hoping that we see Montez at least an entire half against Idaho State. Need to get him some time under the lights, cuz Sefo's foot may or may not last all year.

Assuming he ends up starting, I expect a few things. #1 ball security, absolutely gotta cut down the turnovers. Don't try to win the game by himself. Finish drives is very important. Also sometimes it's ok to take what they give you, don't force it. I could go on and on with stuff but these come to mind to start.

Assuming he ends up starting, I expect a few things. #1 ball security, absolutely gotta cut down the turnovers. Don't try to win the game by himself. Finish drives is very important. Also sometimes it's ok to take what they give you, don't force it. I could go on and on with stuff but these come to mind to start.

For finishing drives, we need the run game to be something defenses have to key on when our offense is in the red zone. I've got confidence that Drew Wilson is getting it done with our OL and they're going to take that next step and be a good run blocking OL this year.

Last edited:
In all honesty, once he started running the ball more, it opened up the D and more receivers were open consistently.
He was about to break through when he got injured.

Sefo's not a bad QB, been in a tough situation for awhile, and this injury doens't help things.

I'm hoping he does come back strong and 100% so can start his senior year. I just worry about him trying to play through
too much pain and hurting the team even more.

We get it! You are mad at Chev. From what most Sefo apologists say Lindgren is the main culprit for Sefo's struggles. Oh and that all time worse OL.

FWIW I felt the Buffs OL played better in PAC 12 than Broncos OL in NFL.

I feel quite certain the Illuminati are behind all of our Football woes, don't quote me on it though it is strictly a theory.....SSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!

It's not too hard Jim. Pressure/hits Broncos QBs took were similar and I never saw a Buff OL absolutely embarrassed quite like Schofield.

Both teams may have 3-4 new starters from season end. Both ****ing sucked.

The Broncos had one glaring weakness in OL (Schofield) , but were able to lean on their other better linemen, RB's, and tight ends to get the job done. CU didn't have that luxury.

Our "best" lineman last year, Nembot, consistently got beat, ran over, or missed blocks. Our probable best this year is coming off major knee surgery. In my opinion, there is no bigger factor in the ultimate success of Liufau this year than the success of our offensive line. To not be concerned and dismissing the legitimacy of our OL problems and trying to compare them to the Broncos' is being blind to the facts.

The Broncos had one glaring weakness in OL (Schofield) , but were able to lean on their other better linemen, RB's, and tight ends to get the job done. CU didn't have that luxury.

Our "best" lineman last year, Nembot, consistently got beat, ran over, or missed blocks. Our probable best this year is coming off major knee surgery. In my opinion, there is no bigger factor in the ultimate success of Liufau this year than the success of our offensive line. To not be concerned and dismissing the legitimacy of our OL problems and trying to compare them to the Broncos' is being blind to the facts.
Did I say they weren't a problem? No.
The OL sucked, but they are making changes and last year's OL is not the same as the end of year this year. Nembot was not our best OL, but made to appear that way because he looked the part but doesn't have grasp on how to do it.

I believe this year's OL can be as good or better than the OL from a couple years ago and that is enough to win 6 games if we have our defense of last year slightly improved and Sefo can have a 2.5 TD:1 INT ratio.

I do think that OL is the key to success int he PAC 12.

If you can get your QB 3 seconds of coverage, you can find a play. With the speed of defenses now days, if you have a
weak spot, the D will find it and be on your QB immediately, thus breaking every play.

A good OL that can protect would make Sefo much better, and if we have to use Gehrke or Awini, the OL could give them time to find people, too.

What we know is that he has great toughness. What I hope to see is quick decisions and quick release. I think we can win with a healthy Sefo.

For finishing drives, we need the run game to be something defenses have to key on when our offense is in the red zone. I've got confidence that Drew Wilson is getting it done with our OL and they're going to take that next step and be a good run blocking OL this year.

Praise Jesus! Someone has come to save us!!!

Back