1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What we know about USC

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Justin M Guerriero, Oct 3, 2016.

?

Will the Buffs make it 19 straight games with a takeaway this Sat @ USC

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    97.4%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Justin M Guerriero

Justin M Guerriero Well-Known Member Club Member

Hey all, apologies for the lack of content last week. We had some tech problems with the CUI website which wouldn't allow us to post on our own site. To make matters worse, those goobers at OSU's student newspaper never got back to me for Fraternizing with the Enemy....The Daily Trojan, USC's student paper, has gotten back to me and I'm waiting on answers from their sports editors...that'll be up Thursday.

But let's start fresh this week. Some things that stick out to me about the Trojans.

First and foremost, for those of you out there that think that based on how this season has gone for USC so far, that they are a white dwarf heading for a supernova, or in other words, on their way out of being one of the big dogs in the Pac-12, I would advise hitting the brakes on thinking such thoughts.

The team's record does not reflect the talent that's on USC's roster. This game should be a tough matchup for CU.

Essentially, the main theme I've noticed from briefly digging through some stats is this: USC had one bad performance. Against Alabama. They were massacred, but that much is expected from Nick Saban and Co. Other than that, the Trojans average 500+ yards of total offense per game.

Their offense has clicked efficiently since USC's week one blowout loss to Alabama. The Trojans punted 10 times during that contest. They've not punted more than five times since.

Since Bama, only in its game vs. the similarly talented Stanford Cardinal did USC not put up at least 400 yards of offense.

Defensively, the Trojans give up 4.3 yards per rush to opponents and surrender about 205 passing yards per game.

This is the worst stat that I found: The Trojans average 25.3 yards per punt return. Special teams is the real weak spot on this Buffaloes team. It's the one area where the "Colorado returns 56 upperclassmen this season" factor does not apply. Granted, there are offensive and defensive starters who are on the Buffs' punt team...but good god, I can just see it now...USC's Jackson Adoree makes fools of our punt team. He's returned five punts this year for 118 yards. Forgive me for having doubts that Christian Shaver and Dylan Keeney are going to help contain him.

USC's D-line has four sacks between them. The LB core has three on the year. But the Buffs' D-line has recorded five and our LBs also have three sacks on the year.

Back to USC's offense. Tailback Justin Davis is averaging 6.3 yards per carry. He will enter Saturday's game having gone two straight weeks with 120+ rushing yards. Against Stanford, he was held to 63 yards, but ran for 4.5 YPC against The Cardinal.

Do I really need to say anything about WR Juju Smith-Schuster...I think it's inevitable that he has a few catches for 20+ yards. CU's secondary has been solid, but make no mistake...multiple times this year, against almost every opponent, there have been multiple would-have-been touchdowns thrown against the Buffaloes D. I've watched many overthrows by enemy QBs from the press box and on TV this season. The bolts need to be tightened a bit as Colorado enters more difficult Pac-12 play. There were a few times at Oregon and more than a few vs OSU that opposing receivers outran our corners. Defensive backs won't win the routes every time, but if these slipups happen against Southern Cal, albeit, they have been occasional slipups, bad things are going to happen.

But who knows, with how good our receivers have looked, a solid performance by our wide outs could likely cancel out any big breakaways that USC's receivers have. Bobo, Fields, Jr., MacIntyre and Ross have been so fun to watch. They'll be a deciding factor in many more games to come.

Ocho-Buff, c502cid, BuffDog and 12 others like this.
  2. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

Justin, you're like what, 20, 21, 22 years old at the absolute most?

**** you for being a better writer than I could have ever hoped to be at that age.

I know you're smart enough to realize this, but for the AllBuffs idots: the above sentence is a compliment.

3. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

FIFY!

4. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Quit being a dick. The kid is trying really hard.

5. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

no message here

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    FlatironsBuff likes this.
  6. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

Yes, people are offhandedly discounting USC. Their losses are to Alabama, Stanford, and Utah. By no means are they cellar dwellers. The Buffs need to have their heads screwed on tight and laser focused. It would awesome if USC looks at CU and thinks "same ol', same ol'." CU also needs to looks at USC and not just see a team with 3 losses and assume they are Oregon State.

8Jah, CUFan, c502cid and 2 others like this.
  7. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Agree. The beatdown they put on ASU should get our attention.

8Jah, Buffalo Brad and FlatironsBuff like this.
  8. 8Jah

8Jah Club Member Club Member

This is just one game on our schedule that we got to get through. I hope we are able to pull the upset, but more than anything I hope we don't have injuries. Then we take care of ASU the following week.

9. 8Jah

...and wish we had a big TE threat to gobble up a better SC backer with coverage duty.

10. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

I think the main thing we have going is that the team doesn't see USC as an automatic loss.

In years' past we have lost this game well before playing it.

8Jah, c502cid and Swish like this.
  11. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

watching u$c vs asu Pac12 60 on sling now.
    We are going to have to tackle really good on kick/punt coverage.
    Their QB makes a lot of crazy/lucky throws and have the athletes to catch those crazy passes.
    We have to contain the edges, most of their explosive runs are on the edge.
    Did I mention they have a lot of crazy luck? cause they do. (atleast vs asu).
    We can move the ball on them, it will be hard to run on them, but we should be able to.
    They have athletes, and they will make plays - we just need to limit them as much as possible and don't let it get in our heads when they do.
    Have to wrap up and tackle these dudes are slippery.
    Have to watch the safety blitz, asu is not able to pick him up.

12. BuffUp

asu's OL actually pass block pretty well. If we give Sefo / Montez that kind of time WE WILL MOVE THE BALL. C'Mon OL pass block
    we need to get Frazier involved. we are going to need some size in the middle and running with the ball.

13. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

that USC QB is a gunslinger. we will get some picks off him.

FlatironsBuff and BuffUp like this.
  14. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

I'm thinking we have a chance to take advantage of Darnold with the best secondary in the PAC-12.

15. BuffUp

Their roster is senior and junior heavy about like ours. Very experienced OL. They have a young QB

16. goalline

goalline Club Member Club Member

Not sure you would consider him a big threat, but Irwin is supposed to be back this week. Could help.

17. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think we come back to earth for the next 3. But what do I know.

2 out of the next 4 wouldn't be all that bad. :barefoot:

18. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Millennial Liason Club Member

You think we're gonna lose 3 in a row?

19. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

we are projected to go 1-2, so yea, it's not impossible.

chance of losing all 3 is roughly 10% according to S&P. So it's pretty unlikely.

20. 14er

I hope not, but there is a very definite possibility.

Not all that confident about fUCLA, either.

21. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

If you guys haven't noticed, we are the team to beat in the Pac 12 South. Act accordingly.

22. 8Jah

ASU's completely ****ty defense made SC look better than they were. Rewind and watch that one ~70 yard touchdown run by Juju. He caught a short pass and started to cross the field. He had his cover back chasing him by about three yards, the other corner in front of him by about four yards, a safety downfield from him by five yards and a safety upfield by two yards; four guys bracketing him to all sides. All four ran such bad angles that JuJu runs around all of them, without being touched, for a 70yard TD were he probably ran 120 yards. It was clown-car stuff. Buffs will do much better at D so long as the offense does its thing.

What is scary is SC's front seven just violently putting the hammer down on the ASU offense...

23. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Only thing I give a damn about is did we win or lose. That's all, **** USC.

24. 14er

Kool aid spiked with overconfidence leads to disappointment.

Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

OT:
    Why the **** is this site so laggy?

BuffTuba likes this.
  25. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Well, we haven't played the game yet.

26. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Who the hell said no?

27. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

Well she sounds hideous!

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  28. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I think we need another thread to answer the burning questions:

Does USC pay the LAPD?
    How much does a house cost near the USC campus?
    Where is the Rose Bowl?
    What kind of activities are there in the city of Anaheim?
    If CU played USC in Rancho Cucamonga, would CU still dominate?

FlatironsBuff and Clean Undies like this.
  29. BuffUp

difference between sparty and trojan

30. CUBuff98

CUBuff98 Club Member Club Member

Looks like the trojan-enz released their uniform choice for Saturday's game!

il_340x270.771081346_ch47.jpg

il_340x270.320928667.jpg

University-of-Southern-California_USC-Trojans-high-heel-suede-pumps_web_grande.jpg