1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you guys think of Mike Nolan at CU?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

He has been an NFL guy for a long time as a head coach and mostly as a defensive coordinator. And since he has coached in Denver (twice) as well as San Fran, Baltimore, Washington DC, New York (Jets & Giants) and Miami... he is known from coast to coast. From a college standpoint, it's been since 1986 but he coached in 3 of our important recruiting states at LSU, Rice and Stanford.

He's currently 51 years old and working as a defensive coordinator for the Dolphins. He's known as one of the gurus of the 34 defense (which CU runs a version of and has recruited to). His coaching tree ties into, among others, Brian Billick, Al Groh, and particularly Dan Reeves. On a personal level, he's a devout catholic, has 4 kids, and is known as a very strong family man.

Thoughts on Nolan as our next head coach?

2. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

If he wears those suits, I'm in.

3. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I would take him for sure. But could we get him? He may have been out of the college game for a while, but he should know plenty of people to bring in as good assistants to help on the recruiting front.

4. Buffnik

:lol:

I'd actually expect him to wear a suit. That was a tribute to his dad, since his dad always wore a suit as the Niners head coach.

5. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

I'd take him.

6. Buffnik

7. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

He seems like an uptight control freak to me. Don't know if that would go over well in college, let alone Boulder.

8. absinthe

This is the exact kind of coach I'd like us to look at, smart, hard nosed, tough, defensive minded. It may be a while before CU is back but there is no reason we can't turn our defense into a hard hitting no non-sense bunch and make Folsom hell to play in. We've gotten way too soft and way to Fancy in the hawk years.

9. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I don't like it that he doesn't have any coordinator or HC experience at the college level.

10. absinthe

did CPC?

11. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I agree with that 100%. Offense may sell tickets but defense wins championships.

I don't have any idea what Nolan's interest is in the college game, but I'd certainly give him a call to find out.

Unfortunately, as with ANY coach currently working in the NFL - CU won't be able to bring them to Boulder until the NFL season ends - and the NFL season runs to January 2, 2011!!!

12. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

[​IMG]

Hi Mike :wave:

13. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

But he was a rarity as far as a predominantly NFL coach making the move to college. And he was a defensive coordinator at NC State, although that was a while back. My point was more so that he was an NFL coach without very much college coaching experience.

14. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

He's a great coach, but I bet he'd jump back into the NFL the first chance he gets. I say no.

15. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

I'd say no. He's a good coach, but I'd prefer to go after college coaches, not NFL coaches.

16. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

This would be my main concern, and also the question would be why would he leave a NFL coordinator position to come to college? He's got a much better chance at getting back to the HC job as a NFL coordinator than he would as a college HC, IMO.

17. Sexton Hardcastle

I see your point, but you can't rule out every NFL coach. They're all different.

18. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

For me, it's about two things - what kind of assistants can he bring in, and how good of a recruiter is he? The NFL experience should help with recruits, but only if he has the kind of personality that lends itself to convincing 17 and 18 year old kids that they should make come to CU. His experience is a plus, particularly his west coast connections.

I'd support the hire. I'm not worried about a guy leaving to go back to the NFL. If he's that good, it means he's gotten us back to where we all want to be. At that point, we're in a much better position to hire a more permanent replacement, perhaps somebody who would already be on the staff.

19. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

He's an NFL Defensive Coordinator. That trumps college coordinator experience, IMO.

20. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Because HC>DC? He would likely double his pay as a college head coach.

21. sackman

Sometimes. Offenses in the pros are pretty vanilla. Not a lot of option. QBs don't run. The formations are pretty standard. It's all about execution in the NFL. All the athletes are at the top of the game. An NFL DC needs to work on things like film study, scouting his opponents offensive tendencies, getting cues from formations, etc. A college DC needs to defend the spread, the pistol, the option, the WCO, etc.

22. Sexton Hardcastle

There's no where to go but up. :lol:

23. sackman

Notice I didn't say "He'd be an improvement over what we've got now". I'd take a staff of cigar guys with bushy mustaches over what we've got now.

24. Sexton Hardcastle

I don't see him as being someone worried about how much he's making. I see him as someone trying to get to the level his father was at. A NFL HC.

25. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

You want a staff of howard schnellenberger clones? :lol:

26. Crash Davis

Crash Davis MA....THE MEATLOAF!!! Club Member

I'd go for Nolan in a heartbeat. Not wanting a coach because he might eventually want to go elsewhere is just dumb, if that's your only reason. It's like saying "I don't want to date a hot chick, cuz I'd be too worried about other guys trying to steal her from me." Classic loser's mentality.

If you're worried about the NFL or another school stealing our coach, then I guess our current coach is the perfect one for you.

27. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

You mean .......

the little things? :scared2:

28. Sexton Hardcastle

I just see him showing CU no loyalty. I certainly don't want to go through every offseason worrying about where our HC will end up at. I think it's a valid argument.

Things like that can hurt recruiting. You don't think other recruiters will be telling our recruits that he's not going to be there in two years. Why commit to a coach who doesn't show you the same kind of commitment?

29. Sexton Hardcastle

Seeking a coach that would show CU some kind of commitment is probably a part of the hiring process. I don't see how that's dumb.

30. absinthe

Harbaugh will show Stanford no loyalty and they know it, seems to be working out OK for them.