What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What would you rate Boyle's gameday coaching?

How would you rate Coach Boyle's coaching from tip-off to the final buzzer?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 3 5.8%

Votes: 12 23.1%

Votes: 18 34.6%

Votes: 12 23.1%

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

NBDefektor

I'd just like to see AB's views on our coach's coaching from tip-off to the final buzzer. So that would not include recruiting, practice, etc.

1 would be the worst, and 10 would be the best.

Also feel free to give a little explanation as to why you voted the way you did. :thumbsup:

I was very harsh giving them a 6 mainly because of the lineups. There were too many games we let a first half lead slip away to keep players out of foul trouble. I would also like to see a few more timeouts used to stop runs.

I voted 7 ... with the feeling that a few improvements could easily bring it up to a solid 9:

1) Don't be so stubborn about calling timeouts when it's obvious the guys are digging a hole for themselves that they are going to later have to overcome. He's not Coach K, and we ain't Duke.

2) Be willing to sit even starters when it's clear their head isn't in the game and they are taking bad shots, making stupid decisions, etc. I argued for this re Ski last year (and got a lot of **** for it) ... but there's no denying he was essentially taking us out of games we would otherwise be in without his taking 35 foot jump shots that clanked off the rim, turning the ball over by forcing bad passes into the paint, etc. This year I would have argued that of late XJ deserved to sit awhile, but then yesterday he lit it up early (which I didn't get to see due to Pac 12 net's lousy game coverage) :bang:

3) Be more flexible in his defensive strategy when the situation calls for it, e.g., playing zone (which I'm glad to see he's been doing occasionally this year ... another thing I argued for last year and was told he'd never do) ... fouling when we're up by three with seconds to go, etc. etc.

In short ... be willing to tailor his strategy to the game situation, instead of stubbornly adhering to his basic coaching philosophy. Even shorter ... don't be so damn stubborn! :lol:

EDIT: Oh ... and as I said yesterday in the Cal game thread ... install a damn effective half-court offense!

Last edited:
7, mainly due to horrible perimeter defense. We saw it again at the end of the first half last night. I know were not as athletically gifted as Arizona, but those guys were in our grills once we got to 30 feet from the hoop.

I voted "7".

10 would be one of the absolute masters like Tom Izzo or Coach K.

5 would be average.

I voted in the middle of the "Above Average" range. Buffs have won a ton of games in which we were short-handed and/or out-talented during the Boyle era. That doesn't happen by accident or solely through scouting and pre-game prep.

(Really, this poll could have been 1-5 with Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Great.)

I'm the guy who voted for 5. In my mind, 5 is completely average. Boyle's helped us win a few games we shouldn't have, and he's also cost us a few games IMO due to his playcalling, substitution patterns and inability to diagram a decent play out of a timeout.

Honestly, try and take notice when if there's a timeout called and out of the timeout we have the ball. I have consistently seen absolutely atrocious offensive motion out of that timeout. Half the time, I seriously wonder if we diagram any play at all in the huddle. Yesterday was a great example. A few times after we call a timeout, the play seems to be "Hey, Ski, hold the ball while the other guys literally walk around until about 8 seconds in the shot clock. Then figure it out!" Also not a fan of XT orchestrating that final offensive play in regulation.

That also reminds me of the Dustin Thomas thing. The announcers had it right--it's good that he's aggressive toward the end of the game, but it's crazy that he was so involved in the offense at that point in lieu of Josh, Ski, or even XJ--despite the fact that he seems either really tired in OT or just not wanting the ball. Boyle's got to realize that Thomas should not be our preferred offense for 3 straight possessions.

Anyhoo, thank god Boyle can recruit, I just wish his coaching on the hardwood would improve over time. I've seen these sort of head-scratchers for a few years now.

I voted an 8....above average....there are some really bad day game coaches out there. I consider anything 6 or lower an F in terms of grading.

He is a 10 at home, a 6 on the road and an 8 in tournaments.

He has won more than his fair share of close games to earn him respect.

I haven't been able to read much lately, but is this in response to people questioning his coaching at the end of the Cal game? Because he did lose that game for us. I still think he's a good gameday coach for the most part.

Who the hell gave him a "3"? :huh:

And reason?

We should keep in mind Mac was about a 5 as a game day coach and lead us to our greatest heights as a football program.

Would be higher if not for the habit of slow starts, occasional second half slumps, and ability to draw out 3-point sharp shooters from opposing teams.

7. Good at conserving timeouts. Maddeningly conservative with them when the opposition is going on a run especially early in games when the team needs to take a breath and reassess their gameplan. Adjusting in-game has been tough, especially with protecting leads. Has done tremendous work in the development of players which shows in having more dependable players on gameday. Defense inside the perimiter has been good assignment-wise, but teach them to get their hands up when their man is in the act of shooting!

If we fell short of 20 wins this year these considerations would drop the score to probably a 5 but the W-L especially with Spencer and Fletch's injuries satisfies me for the regular season. I hope to see more in-game adjustments of getting the players to attack when certain weaknesses exposed (like driving on a defender who's in foul trouble) or D up better when it's clear someone has the hot hand.

Gave him an 8. Think he is great at making defensive adjustments as the games go on, and keeping CU in games they sometimes shouldn't be.

However, I do not think any lead is safe with this CU team. We have routinely let teams back in games and not had the killer extinct to put teams away. It usually doesn't seem to cost a win, but it did Saturday. Some of that is on Tad for holding onto his time outs until late.

Use more timeouts. Please Tad. I love you but these are young kids. Coach them up adjust and coach. Please use every timeout both halves. You are a great coach and I am thankful you are a Buff. Go Buffs.

I like Tad's refusal to call timeouts. I don't like the offensive playcalling--or lack therof.

I hate how we never seen to run any type of play coming out of a time out, or really any type of play from a half court offense. We have had a bunch of games this year when the entire offense stood around 18 feet from the basket and watch Ski dribble the ball at the three point line for 30 seconds and then a panic shot by whomever ends up with the ball in their hands with 2 to shoot.

6 for a few reasons...1 being every team we've played for the last 3 weeks has been doubling Scott and there appears to be no set inside out play resulting in stagnant let's watch Josh make a move leading to one of 3 things happening, he either gets fouled..stripped...or blocked. The players on the floor are responsible as well as the coach but after 3 weeks it's obvious there is a failure somewhere. Before SD's injury it would've been an 8, not only the players had to adjust but the coaches as well can't be too harsh because until the season played out Spencer's role on the team was going to need to be filled to some level by a player(s) that didn't happen even close..tough for the coach to go game to game and not know who or if anyone is going to play to their potential..got to be exasperating.

I voted 5. To me, I see very few in game adjustments. Whether it is the offense attacking a mismatch. Switching up a defense when a the other team gets hot. We consistently go underneath screens; there are some guys you just can't do that against. Also, I've seen few, at the most, set plays. I think the only one I really remember was the end of the first half of the OSU game where Dinwiddie threw an oop to Scott. We can very few easy buckets. And our best inbounds play is an outlet to Scott out at the 3. With that said, he wins games, so what the hell do I know.

Back