What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's it take to beat Oregon?

pcbuff

As a guy that lives in Utah, I watch all of their games. Here's my thoughts. Utah goes man on the corners. Do we have the speed to do the same? I think so. Utah uses Lane assignment rushing. They are disciplined, and very powerful. This week Solis will have a heavy burden. Damn I wish Toupu were available. On O, they had a big game from their slot. I think CU can as well. I actually think Sefo is a better version of Wilson, and could be our leading rusher.

Utah capitalized on a few big plays where they reversed the field to take advantage of over pursuit. I'm interested to see how Mac does the same.

I think the key to this game is how the O line deals with their speed.

I'm really excited about this one!

I thought Utah was just way more physical on defense, sort of what Stanford did for years to stop their offense. You just can't let Oregon turn short plays into long gains with missed tackles.

Key to the game on Defense is to force Adams/Lockie to beat us through the air, because I don't think they can. Have to contain Freeman as best we can.

On offense, pound the rock, set up the play action. Sefo will need to be much more accurate then he was against Nicholls, but the Ducks secondary is a serious weak link.

If I had to say 4 that it will take to beat Oregon it would be:
- Zero turnovers
- Forcing at least 2 of our own
- Consistent running game
- Good run defense

Also, more Lindsey, Adkins, Carr and Lee running the ball and less Powell.

To beat Oregon...and I wish I had seen the Utah game...
* Nearly errorless tackling
* Disciplined, assignment football
* Hitting the deep ball
* At least having it be a tie at the LOS on O and D
* Big differential in starting field position

I honestly think we have about a 5% chance, but that's 5% more I was giving us before last weekend.

Our front 7 has to show up. Maybe even stack the box and force their QB to throw. Run blitzes will be important to stopping them given what I've seen out of our front 7 so far.

Play keep away from them as well by running over them. Their secondary is weak so we need that killer performance from Sefo.

If you had asked before the season I would have said a plane crash but after last week things look to have changed.

Ducks have now lost two games, one of them a curb stomping. They aren't going to the playoff, they aren't going to be in the top 10 at the end of the season, and they have some serious questions on their team.

We still don't match up in terms of talent but that won't matter if they think they are beaten.

Biggest key is that we have to get off to a fast start, we need to score on offense and get some defensive stops. If we can get up by a couple scores they may very well go into "Here we go again mode and turtle." Jump on them, hit them in the mouth, and put the game out of reach.

If I had to say 4 that it will take to beat Oregon it would be:
- Zero turnovers
- Forcing at least 2 of our own
- Consistent running game
- Good run defense

Also, more Lindsey, Adkins, Carr and Lee running the ball and less Powell.

Want to see powell in the area he is most effective. Between the tackles. Short yardage/goal line. A set with Murphy, Frazier, and CP in the backfield should open up some massive holes for short yardage gains.

Want to see powell in the area he is most effective. Between the tackles. Short yardage/goal line. A set with Murphy, Frazier, and CP in the backfield should open up some massive holes for short yardage gains.
Eh... From what I've seen, CP is not all that more effective in short yardage situations than Lindsey, and CP has coughed up the ball twice this year. Nothing personal against CP, but he has earned himself less playing time than Adkins and Lindsey, and the staff HAS to find a way to consistently get Lee and Carr the ball in space.

Eh... From what I've seen, CP is not all that more effective in short yardage situations than Lindsey, and CP has coughed up the ball twice this year. Nothing personal against CP, but he has earned himself less playing time than Adkins and Lindsey, and the staff HAS to find a way to consistently get Lee and Carr the ball in space.

True. I would just rather see CP in the middle of the field instead on the sweeps. Leave those to lindsay, carr, adkins, or lee.

Linebackers need to have their best game yet. This offense is why we start Olugbode. If they take him out and isolate on Gamboa, it's going to be a very long game for the D.

Only time I want to see him on the edge is when he is catching passes, because CP is a very good receiving RB.
Not just referring to Powell, but I think the screen game needs to be utilized more against Oregon. I have a feeling they will be dialing up some heat on Sefo, and we need to be able to neutralize their speed and pass rush.

I'm very curious to see if the offense "saved" anything for this game and conference play, in general. I am willing to bet they attempt at least 1 or 2 trick plays, but would love to see some different personnel groupings, formations and play concepts that they haven't shown yet in 2015.

Not just referring to Powell, but I think the screen game needs to be utilized more against Oregon. I have a feeling they will be dialing up some heat on Sefo, and we need to be able to neutralize their speed and pass rush.

I'm very curious to see if the offense "saved" anything for this game and conference play, in general. I am willing to bet they attempt at least 1 or 2 trick plays, but would love to see some different personnel groupings, formations and play concepts that they haven't shown yet in 2015.

There is definitely one play they practiced quite a bit in fall camp that they haven't used yet. We will see when they break it out.

• We must start fast, crowd must be in a rage. Oregon is rattled right now. This must be our Super Bowl, and the students need to act like it.
  • We are going to have some receivers running free, because Oregon's defense is young and confused right now (and being poorly coached). Sefo HAS to find the open guys consistently.
  • Competent running game with a handful of big gains. Oregon is small and young on D, and our OL has to be more aggressive. Only way we win this game is if Oregon D gets demoralized and/or tired.
  • Few to no negative plays/sacks. Must limit 3rd and longs.
  • A few trick plays. I think the coaches have been pretty vanilla to this point, they had better be saving their best for Oregon (see Utah).
  • +2 or more in turnovers.
  • Pressure the QB. Whoever is going to play for them is going to be shaky. Limit backbreaking QB scrambles.
  • Limit gashers, tackle well in space.
  • Win special teams.
  • Oregon will get a few big plays simply due to talent. Can't let those swing momentum.

Screens to the back side could be effective. The question there is whether Sefo has the time to let them develop?

I think it will be an interesting game to watch. There will be moments of frustration, but I think Oregon is far from teh team tehy have been the last 5 years or so.
I think they are definitely beatable....just depends on if Colorado can step up and take advantage of the opportunity they have.

Also, it depends A LOT on Sefo's arm health and Adkins, as well.
We need to run the ball down their throats and play action pass them to death.

Have to keep freeman and Adams from breaking for huge yardage. That is what the defensive game play has to be centered around. Really hoping Gillam is healthy and ready to go because he is quick enough laterally to be a good spy for us.

• We must start fast, crowd must be in a rage. Oregon is rattled right now. This must be our Super Bowl, and the students need to act like it.
  • We are going to have some receivers running free, because Oregon's defense is young and confused right now (and being poorly coached). Sefo HAS to find the open guys consistently.
  • Competent running game with a handful of big gains. Oregon is small and young on D, and our OL has to be more aggressive. Only way we win this game is if Oregon D gets demoralized and/or tired.
  • Few to no negative plays/sacks. Must limit 3rd and longs.
  • A few trick plays. I think the coaches have been pretty vanilla to this point, they had better be saving their best for Oregon (see Utah).
  • +2 or more in turnovers.
  • Pressure the QB. Whoever is going to play for them is going to be shaky. Limit backbreaking QB scrambles.
  • Limit gashers, tackle well in space.
  • Win special teams.
  • Oregon will get a few big plays simply due to talent. Can't let those swing momentum.
This. Tackle tackle, tackle, OL needs to open holes for run game and give Sefo time, D needs to stay in place and tackle, Sefo needs to see and hit the open receivers, Tackle, Crowd needs to be GONZO before kickoff, can't forget solid tackling, DL needs to pressure the QB all the time.

Oh, and wrap the **** up and TACKLE.

I think this will be a tough task but we are gaining some confidence. We will need to:

• Stuff the run and make them throw. We do this and we will be in the game
  • limit yards after contact and tackle better than we have
  • Adkins, Lindsey and CP need to deliver 200+ yards of rushing
  • Win the turnover battle

I would fire the guys up to play the style of game where after the first quarter Oregon is sorry they got off the bus.

- Line up and pound the rock on offense. Long sustained drives that take their toll on the DL of Oregon and keep the Duck's offense on the sideline. Pound it and mix in some play action.
- Do not turn the ball over.
- On D, stay at home and do not over pursue. Oregon is too fast and athletic for us to take too many chances. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of borderline hits by our D (a tad late or high) early to send a message.
- Basically punch them in the mouth and try and control the clock as much as you can.

Hoping that Gilbert's energy in the 2nd half of the CSU game and the 2nd half against Nicholls is the energy he brings from now on. If he can be a pass rusher opposite McCartney, that would be huge.

This is the game to find the RBs (Powell in particular) and the TEs for big gains up the seams. Few college defenses defend the TE well. Oregon, with it's suspect secondary, will likely focus on Spruce and Shay, leaving the middle of the field open. Somebody needs to have one of those games Tyler McCulloch had a couple of times last year--4 catches for 80 to 100 yards and a TD or two.

Teams have been hurting Oregon through the air. Sefo needs to step up and show that he can do that.

Ross and Bobo are coming along nicely, and Keenan and JMac are viable options. DLee running or catching, Powell catching, Adkins, Carr and Lindsey running....we have options if the OL makes the holes and gives Sefo time to throw and read through progressions.

I am telling myself we won't win so I'm not too crushed walking out, but think we show up better than we have since we joined the PAC 12, and with a few bounces...anything can happen. Boy, if the team does pull of the win, the rest of the schedule goes from doubtful/improbable to possible/doubtful. Maybe even a 'Probable' or two in there. Insane crowd could gain us a commit or two that we really want. Two more 4 *?

I'll also add that this is a game in which the altitude could come into play, if we work it. Oregon looks like a very poorly conditioned team with a lot of youngsters who have probably never played at altitude (vs. Utah last year, maybe).

Back