What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's the story at nickel back?

buffsyko

Club Member
Club Member
I know sandersfeld is the first in line and he had a nice pick, was wondering what happened to vigo. I'm sure I read that he was going to be the first option and they were very pleased with him. Just wondering...

Vigo is the first option at Corner and Safety. Nickel's kind of a specialized "rover" position in our defense. Maybe that explains it.

But,

I'd think Vigo would be really good there, with his background as an OLB in high school. It is kind of surprising they haven't worked him in there. I'm with you, syko. Although I think Sandersfeld is a nice player, I'd love to have more speed on the field.

Vigo is the first option at Corner and Safety. Nickel's kind of a specialized "rover" position in our defense. Maybe that explains it.

But,

I'd think Vigo would be really good there, with his background as an OLB in high school. It is kind of surprising they haven't worked him in there. I'm with you, syko. Although I think Sandersfeld is a nice player, I'd love to have more speed on the field.

Yeah, more speed is a good thing. Travis has a good sense though. I read in the post that mahnke could rotate there. I really thought he'd be great there but 2009 exploited his lack of speed. I think we have a solid group across the board at db, they are young but the future looks good.

Vigo or put Hawkins at CB and Jalil plays NCB. Probably not ideal either. Maybe Jaffee can step in, he seems to have better quicks than Sandersfeld, and he's been a good special teamer for a good while. Tough to ignore Travis' playmaking after his acrobat pick on Saturday.

nickelback is a ****ty pop band that got even ****tier when they went country... they should be put into the fire pit instead of the koran

Reactions: aik
What about Terrel Smith? With all the stuff I have been reading about him I thought he would havebeen in serious contention for play the nickel position.

What about Terrel Smith? With all the stuff I have been reading about him I thought he would havebeen in serious contention for play the nickel position.

He is good enough to play. But they're trying to redshirt him.

Now that Olatoye has moved to safety, we've already got 3 in that class (Orms, Ussery).

Honestly, I think that Ussery needs to move back to WR. But either way it would still be best if Smith could redshirt.

Here's how our scholarship guys break down this year:

Safety
Seniors:
Juniors: Anthony Perkins, Travis Sandersfeld
Sophomores: Vince Ewing, Ray Polk
Freshmen: Deji Olatoye, Parker Orms, Terdema Ussery
Redshirting (FR): Terrel Smith

Cornerback
Seniors: Jalil Brown, Jimmy Smith
Juniors: Jonathan Hawkins
Sophomores: Makiri Pugh
Freshmen: Jered Bell, Paul Vigo
Redshirting (FR): Josh Moten

plus terrel got what sounded like a nasty concussion right before the CSU game...

However, if Hawkins and Sandersfield don't get it done against Cal, I wouldn't be surprised to see him come on either in the 2d half or against UH.

He is good enough to play. But they're trying to redshirt him.

Now that Olatoye has moved to safety, we've already got 3 in that class (Orms, Ussery).

Honestly, I think that Ussery needs to move back to WR. But either way it would still be best if Smith could redshirt.

Here's how our scholarship guys break down this year:

Safety
Seniors:
Juniors: Anthony Perkins, Travis Sandersfeld
Sophomores: Vince Ewing, Ray Polk
Freshmen: Deji Olatoye, Parker Orms, Terdema Ussery
Redshirting (FR): Terrel Smith

Cornerback
Seniors: Jalil Brown, Jimmy Smith
Juniors: Jonathan Hawkins
Sophomores: Makiri Pugh
Freshmen: Jered Bell, Paul Vigo
Redshirting (FR): Josh Moten

Yes, ussery should move back to wr. Will darden ever play?

Darden had some snaps at WR against CSU

It's also worth noting Darden is a redshirt freshman at a position dominated by upperclassmen. The fact he will not be counted on heavily until next year at the earliest is a good thing.

Back