1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Up With Yuri Wright?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by skinsfan55, Jul 1, 2013.

1. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

So what's going on here?

We all know that Wright was a highly recruited prospect. Thanks in part to his twitter problem, he fell into our laps. So, where is he now?

He hasn't won a job in the secondary. He's still buried on the depth chart. This is a guy who was supposed to contribute as a true freshman, so what's going on? Is he ever going to turn the corner and become a force in the Pac 12?

2. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Very raw player who needs a redshirt year. He shouldn't have played last year, and his high ranking was based on his potential, not current ability.

3. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

I would love to see them give Yuri a reshirt year this year if he isn't the starter. I think it would pay off huge for the Buffs, and for Yuri if we did so. Four full years of good coaching isn't going to hurt him one bit!

Quattro likes this.
  4. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

Reminds me a lot of Ray Polk when he switched to D...lots to learn. should come on Jr/Sr campaigns..I hope.

5. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

He should have been less raw playing at Don Bosco he had a ton of coaching. some guys just take longer to be ready and its way too early to pass a judgement here.

6. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

I don't know if you can say kid isn't raw just because of what school he attended. The (somewhat polarizing) poster over on Rivals that knows Yuri stated early and consistently that he thought Yuri really needed a redshirt year.

Redshirting isn't always just about physical readiness either. Think back to all the learning and adjusting you had to do your freshmen year where for 99% of folks its their first significant time away from home and having to manage all of the details of life on their own, then tack on all the demands on a D1 football player. Redshirting gives guys a chance to make that mental and organizational adjustment period less stressful, and to be able to focus more on football after they've worked out the off the field kinks.

7. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

:yeahthat:

It goes to show you sometimes the 4* & 5* rated position players don't live up to expectations.

8. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Our defensive backfield was such a cluster last year, it's hard too draw too many conclusions. On the whole, the group was poorly coached and didn't show much development IMO.

9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

He has a lot of growing up to do. Not even worried about it, just people expected way too much early on.

10. Quattro

Well, at least the first year or two.

11. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I read an article last year that Nickell Robey was the first true Freshman to start at cornerback for USC in the season opener since WWII. Think about that - look at all the great talent that USC has had over the last 65 years and that was the first true freshman to start in the season opener. Tells me it is a tough position for a young guy to come in and master. Look at Terrance Wheatley - he did not secure the starting job consistently until he was a RS-Jr ( he missed a year due to injury). It takes time so I would not be worried and I don't think anything has "happened" with Yuri Wright.

12. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Agree + We didn't have a lot of pass rush meaning that the dbs had to cover for times that would have given quality, experienced dbs problems. Add to that the safeties having to cover more in the middle of the field since Major and Webb couldn't run with recievers so our corners were often left on their own.

Thinking about it as bad as we were I wonder how we got the stops we did.

13. Quattro

I don't recall any

14. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I'm sure the clock ran out on a couple of opponent's drives.

15. Quattro

I'm surprised no one did this to us.

[video=youtube;DpiQByIFt8k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpiQByIFt8k[/video]

16. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

We had a few although looking back they may have been due to opponents laughing to hard at us to hold onto the football.

And we did have a number of teams that effectively took a knee in the second half of games against us. They put in the bottom of their roster and ran plays intended not to score, and sometimes still did.

17. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

If we are using only two cornerbacks, it would be tough to get playing time since Henderson has one of those positions locked down. Now, if the Buffs play more in the nickel defense, Yuri would be playing more.

Our coaching staff was pretty bad the last couple of years...and it showed on the field. Let's give the kid a chance.

18. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

He's 18?

19. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

That is more humiliating than scoring another TD, IMO.

20. Quattro

You do realize we play in a spread oriented conference right? There aren't many times outside of Stanford where we are rolling out just two corners, hence the 4-2-5 defense MacIntyre is using along with the 4-3.

21. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Oregon could have started taking a knee at halftime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

22. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Oregon was up 42-0 less than 4 min into the 2nd quarter. They didn't have to wait till the half.

23. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Did you notice the play selection stat line they flashed? Only 8 pass attempts during the game and still scored 52 points. Damn I wish we were good.