What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your perspective so far on recruiting???

Every great coaching staff needs to have at least one or two dynamic recruiters that can sell the dream to these kids and make them believe that wherever they are coaching is the best place in the world to play football and go to school - do we have that on this staff? I'm really not sure, and it worries me.

I keep telling myself it's early in this staff's tenure and I should give them time, but we need to be winning occasional recruiting battles against teams like Houston, WSU, Utah, and Cal now even before we show improvement on the field. If we can't outsell these bottom of the conference schools now, even for just a few kids, then how are we going to win battles against UCLA, ASU, or Washington when we start winning a few games?

I guess my point is that while winning is of course the best recruiting tool out there, we can't just wait until the day we start winning to improve recruiting - we need to be out-hustling and out-selling if we really want recruiting to improve substantially.
FYI...we won a QB recruiting battle against Arizona.

FYI...we won a QB recruiting battle against Arizona.

I realize that, yippee we got 1. We need to be in competition for (and have a legit shot at) more players that have offers from at least the bottom 3rd of the Pac 12, and I just don't see it. Duff is right, this isn't SJSU anymore - I don't think CU doubled these guy's salaries to get the same result. I'm tired of being patient.

I realize that, yippee we got 1. We need to be in competition for (and have a legit shot at) more players that have offers from at least the bottom 3rd of the Pac 12, and I just don't see it. Duff is right, this isn't SJSU anymore - I don't think CU doubled these guy's salaries to get the same result. I'm tired of being patient.
Until we start winning games, we won't viable shots at the type of recruits you are mentioning. If we do well the next few years and lose these battles, then I'll be concerned. Until now, I think all we can be is patient and hope this staff can pull out another miracle at CU.

My instinct/hope/delusion is Coach Mac turns it around sufficiently enough this year to get better recruits and we are bowl eligible next year. Once we're in a bowl and kids see dramatic improvement, then we'll should be land a few 4-5* guys and winning more battles with our peers. And the doctors said the meds wouldn't help :lol:

Couple other have Utah offers, Miller has a Washington State offer. We lead for a OT with a Oregon State offer.

Until we start winning games, we won't viable shots at the type of recruits you are mentioning. If we do well the next few years and lose these battles, then I'll be concerned. Until now, I think all we can be is patient and hope this staff can pull out another miracle at CU.

My instinct/hope/delusion is Coach Mac turns it around sufficiently enough this year to get better recruits and we are bowl eligible next year. Once we're in a bowl and kids see dramatic improvement, then we'll should be land a few 4-5* guys and winning more battles with our peers. And the doctors said the meds wouldn't help :lol:

The point of my original post was that I disagree with this as a strategy - of course recruiting is easier if we're winning, but I would see it as a very good sign going forward if we were landing a few highly sought-after kids (forget 5*, I'm talking high 3* type kids with multiple BCS offers) now before we deliver the wins. It would show me this staff can recruit and that CU will be a team to be reckoned with when we do start winning. Right now we're getting kids you would expect a 1-11 BCS team to be getting and I would like to see better.

The point of my original post was that I disagree with this as a strategy - of course recruiting is easier if we're winning, but I would see it as a very good sign going forward if we were landing a few highly sought-after kids (forget 5*, I'm talking high 3* type kids with multiple BCS offers) now before we deliver the wins. It would show me this staff can recruit and that CU will be a team to be reckoned with when we do start winning. Right now we're getting kids you would expect a 1-11 BCS team to be getting and I would like to see better.
I gotcha. Can't say I disagree with your view. Let's see how it goes after we have ~15 recruits. My guess is kids with multiple BCS offers will wait a little longer to decide...especially taking a risk on something like CU. Maybe we'll win some head-to-heads.

He's bringing in kids that can be a foundation to something better if he can coach. I would love to have a class full of blue chip prospects but under the circumstances I am generally satisfied.

Excuse me for being captain obvious, but we'll only know how good this class is by how it performs on the field. Based purely on ratings and other offers, I'd say it's pretty disappointing thus far, but then again CU football has been awful since these guys were in diapers. A couple of other observations:

(1) I think the Embree staff was actually good on the recruiting trail. They reeled in a lot of solid players (on paper) will offers from multiple BCS schools. I know they wiffed on a lot of in-state players, but their biggest problem by far was results on the field. That's why the 2013 class was suffering. I think 2012 was a good class.
(2) SJSU was fortunate to play Stanford early in the year. Stanford started slowly and finished strong. If SJSU had played Stanford in the second half of the year I don't think it would have been close. That said, MacIntyre turned SJSU around without question. If he could do it there I see no reason why he can't do it in Boulder.

Duff is right, this isn't SJSU anymore - I don't think CU doubled these guy's salaries to get the same result. I'm tired of being patient.

That impacts my view of our recruiting so far as well. With a 2.5m pool for assistants, we had a real opportunity to land a big-time recruiter, but opted to bring over the bulk of the staff from SJSU. That's fine, but the results better be there if you aren't going make that big hire. If not, I don't want to hear excuses about hard work, relationships, etc.

That impacts my view of our recruiting so far as well. With a 2.5m pool for assistants, we had a real opportunity to land a big-time recruiter, but opted to bring over the bulk of the staff from SJSU. That's fine, but the results better be there if you aren't going make that big hire. If not, I don't want to hear excuses about hard work, relationships, etc.

I dunno about y'all... but I love Troy Walters. I think he'll prove his mettle as a recruiter.

Things are getting better. Markedly, no, but better. Commits with other BCS level offers which cannot be said for last year. Pieces are being brought in and it appears that we have an organized staff with a plan. Need to shut the CO borders but it is going to take until next year. Too much arrogance over the last several years and not enough results. Need to build the relationships and that is happening. The camps are being well attended and they appear to be making strides with the exposure they are getting.

Bottom line, we are repairing a very broken ship. Progress is being made and pieces are being brought in that will contribute over time. Combine this will improved performance on the field this fall (which should not be rocket science) and we will have some momentum.

I dunno about y'all... but I love Troy Walters. I think he'll prove his mettle as a recruiter.

Yeah, Walters was the one exception. I should've mentioned that. There should have been room in the budget for more though.

I know we have gone through hell as CU fans for way too long and we deserve to have a team we can proud of ASAP. But I have to admit AB is full of bunch of glass half empty pessimists right now.

Virtually every guy committed so far has at least 1 BCS offer (most of them from other P12 schools). As was said above we beat out AZ for a QB-that is promising. We have only 1/3 of our class so far. Can you guys show a little patience and let's see:

1.) How this class shapes up by the end
2.) What kind of product HCMM & Co. put on the field, do we see progress and more competitive games?

Most coaches get at least 1 season on the field before the fans start calling for his head.

I am by no means calling for the coach's head at this point, but I do expect recruiting to improve this cycle, not next year. Mac opted to bring his entire coaching staff from SJSU rather than bring in a stud recruiter from outside so I want to see that strategy pay off on the recruiting trail.

Excuse me for being captain obvious, but we'll only know how good this class is by how it performs on the field. Based purely on ratings and other offers, I'd say it's pretty disappointing thus far, but then again CU football has been awful since these guys were in diapers. A couple of other observations:

(1) I think the Embree staff was actually good on the recruiting trail. They reeled in a lot of solid players (on paper) will offers from multiple BCS schools. I know they wiffed on a lot of in-state players, but their biggest problem by far was results on the field. That's why the 2013 class was suffering. I think 2012 was a good class.
(2) SJSU was fortunate to play Stanford early in the year. Stanford started slowly and finished strong. If SJSU had played Stanford in the second half of the year I don't think it would have been close. That said, MacIntyre turned SJSU around without question. If he could do it there I see no reason why he can't do it in Boulder.

Yep. Sure was lucky for SJSU to get Stanford early in the year, while it was late in the year for SJSU.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Recruiting is moving along at a better pace than I expected. I figured there would be a lot more "wait and see" attitudes from the hs players, and that we wouldn't have but 2 or 3 commits before the season began.

By Stud recruiter, I think everyone means a proven stud at the BCS level. HCMM may think he has stud recruiters based on who they pulled recruits from while at SJSU.

Pulling a proven stud recruiter by this definition would have meant bringing in a guy who is a stranger, and probably higher paid than the other assistants. And may not be a good coach. That list of proven studs who would be available to HCMM is a pretty small list. I know we threw out some names like Lubick, who probably wasn't available.

In the end, I think HCMM cares more about the total package and that recruiting will happen with solid coaches and not super salesguys.

I am by no means calling for the coach's head at this point, but I do expect recruiting to improve this cycle, not next year. Mac opted to bring his entire coaching staff from SJSU rather than bring in a stud recruiter from outside so I want to see that strategy pay off on the recruiting trail.

:stupid:

Honestly, I'm sure I'm coming across much more negative in these threads than I intend to, so I'll drop the argument here at this point. I do like HCMM and am excited to see the difference quality coaching will make this season. As for recruiting, I guess we'll just wait and see how this all plays out.

Yeah, "stud recruiter"? yeah! Cali had one of those whizbang Harold Hill-type recruiters for a couple of years (before he moved to UW), how'd he work out saving Tedford's rear? And UW ain't exactly been charging up the ranks much, either! How many 4* commits do they have right now?

Yeah, "stud recruiter"? yeah! Cali had one of those whizbang Harold Hill-type recruiters for a couple of years (before he moved to UW), how'd he work out saving Tedford's rear? And UW ain't exactly been charging up the ranks much, either! How many 4* commits do they have right now?

Well since you asked, UW currently has 6 commits, and 3 of them are 4* and their class last years was their best in a decade, so yeah I'd say they're happy with Tosh.

But let's go back a little further, from 2008 (when Tosh started at Cal) through 2014 (so far), he has been on staffs that have recruited a combined 55, 4* or 5* players. Over the same time period CU has recruited 14, and 8 of those were in Hawk's best class (the Darell Scott, Lynn Katoa class) in 2008.

Not coincidentally those Cal and UW teams have been much better than CU, so tell me again why "stud recruiters" don't matter.

Last edited:
Well since you asked, UW currently has 6 commits, and 3 of them are 4* and their class last years was their best in a decade, so yeah I'd say they're happy with Tosh.

But let's go back a little further, from 2008 (when Tosh started at Cal) through 2014 (so far), he has been on staffs that have recruited a combined 55, 4* or 5* players. Over the same time period CU has recruited 14, and 8 of those were in Hawk's best class (the Darell Scott, Lynn Katoa class) in 2008.

Not coincidentally those Cal and UW teams have been much better than CU, so tell me again why "stud recruiters" don't matter.

Not coincidentally, those Cal and UW teams have not improved after Tosh got there. (In fact, Cal got a lot worse with those great recruits).

I'm for winning actual football games. I guess it's just me.

Not coincidentally, those Cal and UW teams have not improved after Tosh got there. (In fact, Cal got a lot worse with those great recruits).

Interesting, so bringing in better recruiting classes actually made them worse - that's an interesting take. Seems odd though that the recruiter got snatched away by another program while the Head Coach got fired. Maybe we should try not bringing in very good classes and see if we actually get better....oh wait.

Having the best talent will win you the big prize, but you don't need the best talent to be a good football team. We have enough talent, if coached properly, to compete with many teams on our schedule and after a few years of Coach Mac's program, we will be a solid program. We have the talent to win 6-7 games, but think we are too young and the staff too new this year to expect that.

Back