What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When did you become a hoops fan?

I've been a College BB fan as long as I can remember. I've been specifically a CU fan since 1985 when I was a freshman at DU and I went to Boulder and saw the Buffs lose (barely) to Kansas. Great game, Matt Bullard was filling it up for the big underdog Buffs.

Probably when Joe Smith was on the Terps. Being from Maryland and my mom and a lot of her side of the family being Terp alums, it was pretty natural. I loved going to games at Cole, Comcast just isn't the same. When I came to CU, it was quite different. At the same time, it's been a lot of fun -- seeing a team built from the bottom up.

Completely agree, also grew up a Terps fan, and truthfuly I still am. Became a CU fan when I came to school in 2001, completely different, but I have to say its been a lot of fun being able to watch a team get a little bit of sucess, then really suck, and now building a program with support.

Edit: Comcast does suck, although it brings in the money, Cole felt like a college game. At comcast, you have all the luxuries, and its really nice, just feels like a NBA game. But you can get a pretty good crabcake sandwich, which is a bonus.

Last edited:
Completely agree, also grew up a Terps fan, and truthfuly I still am. Became a CU fan when I came to school in 2001, completely different, but I have to say its been a lot of fun being able to watch a team get a little bit of sucess, then really suck, and now building a program with support.

Edit: Comcast does suck, although it brings in the money, Cole felt like a college game. At comcast, you have all the luxuries, and its really nice, just feels like a NBA game. But you can get a pretty good crabcake sandwich, which is a bonus.
That's pretty much my experience. Im still a Terps fan as well, as I'm sure some can tell from my posts. It works out quite well since the Terps-Buffs likely won't be playing any games excluding meeting in the Tourney with the Turgeon-Boyle relationship, aside from the pre-scheduled preseason invite last season.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Comcast sucks, but it's definitely a more sterile environment. GW wishes they hadn't "upgraded." It's definitely a top-10 college arena in terms of it's amenties. And I like "The Wall" but that's only effective when they draw well, which has been a problem in recent years.

3 older brothers that all played, it was a no brainer for me. I wanted to beat nobody more than them.

Grew up playing with my Dad. I could never master his "skyhook". It is(was) a thing of beauty. I was not very good but was a big body so I could rebound. We shared season tickets to Pauley Pavilion with a few families so I grew up going to UCLA games rooting for the Bruins. I still do to a certain extent because its hard to shake those fun childhood memories.

CU is my number 1 though. I started going to basketball games as a freshman; men's and women's. Those were some dark times and I'm glad that we are coming out the otherside with both teams.

That's pretty much my experience. Im still a Terps fan as well, as I'm sure some can tell from my posts. It works out quite well since the Terps-Buffs likely won't be playing any games excluding meeting in the Tourney with the Turgeon-Boyle relationship, aside from the pre-scheduled preseason invite last season.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Comcast sucks, but it's definitely a more sterile environment. GW wishes they hadn't "upgraded." It's definitely a top-10 college arena in terms of it's amenties. And I like "The Wall" but that's only effective when they draw well, which has been a problem in recent years.

My wife and I asked Tad about a Maryland/CU matchup, figuring it could be good resume builders, and tad's response was "No, we are too good of friends", no budge, so I dont think we will ever see the matchup, unless like you said, its in a tournament.

I still do have season tickets at Maryland, although I live in Boulder now, tend to just sell them off to friends and family, but I am really not a fan of the new stadiums, I really like the old feeling of the historical stadiums. Sure put some nice upgrades in there, and build on like Coors, but when they just build a whole new stadium from scratch, it just feels like it has no character.

My wife and I asked Tad about a Maryland/CU matchup, figuring it could be good resume builders, and tad's response was "No, we are too good of friends", no budge, so I dont think we will ever see the matchup, unless like you said, its in a tournament.

I still do have season tickets at Maryland, although I live in Boulder now, tend to just sell them off to friends and family, but I am really not a fan of the new stadiums, I really like the old feeling of the historical stadiums. Sure put some nice upgrades in there, and build on like Coors, but when they just build a whole new stadium from scratch, it just feels like it has no character.

Yeah, they mentioned that on the broadcast of that game how that matchup wouldn't be scheduled again. I'm pretty sure it was locked in before Turgeon even got to Maryland.

They were doing a profile thing on Turgeon a few months ago for the Johnny Holliday show and Boyle was one of the people they interviewed.

I remember i was living in NYC in 1993, i was 7. My dad took me to see the Knicks play the Spurs. I was hooked and started playing the following year.

I became a BB fan when the Nugget's traded Mack Calvin, Mike Greene, and I believe Ralph Simpson for the rights to David "Skywalker" Thompson, and his side kick Monte Towe. The Nugget's played for the ABA title and lost it in game 6, the last ABA game ever played to Dr. J and the Nets. The Nuggets were widely considered the best BB team period at that time. Starting lineup was D. Thompson, D. Issel, Bobby Jones, Fatty Taylor, and Paul Silas.

Back