What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When did you know Hawkins was not the right guy for the job?

CSU and Toledo really stand out last year. I wish I could say Montana State, but I still had faith after that. The changing of offenses every year also stood out as a guy that didn't really know what he was doing.

He lost me two years ago at the KU game. He showed me he didnt know what the heck he was doing when 3 or 4 times we were in the red zone and came away with only 3 points. Terrible, absolutely terrible gameday coaching.

CSU and Toledo really stand out last year. I wish I could say Montana State, but I still had faith after that. The changing of offenses every year also stood out as a guy that didn't really know what he was doing.

This. F-ing Toledo? And it is just flat out inexcusable to lose to CSU. That's what soured me on Barnett, that slapdown - don't remember the year, maybe 2000? - when the Rams were up like 30-0 at halftime in the first game of the season.

Whoa. Freudian slip there. Had to edit fast.

Mine was really early on...about half way through his second year...his whole philosophical approach and bull**** sayings like staying off the mountain and out of the valleys. Football is all about emotion but his teams regularly came out soo flat and unfocused, they took way too many penalties and got pushed around consistently.

I was concerned after Alabama... but I stopped drinking any Kool-Aid after the CSU game last year.

Montana State had me saying, "What the hell is wrong with this guy?" but I decided to try and ride it out by cinching up the little things as a fan.

I remember the exact moment I said GET HIM THE F*** OUTTA HERE: When Cody took the field in the 2nd half of CSU last year. He had no business being back on the field at that point, after the disaster of the first half.

Before he coached a game here: He seemed a little strange to me. When I listened to him talk, something just seemed very off about him. I thought everything he said was very corny, and the whole "Hawk Love" thing was very stupid. But I quickly learned ignored all that, because I looked at his record everywhere else he's been and came to the conclusion that he was obviously a good coach. I was very convinced that he was the perfect guy for the job.

2006- Montana State was a huge WTF, but I decided to blame Gary. I realized that Hawk deserved some time here before I judged anything he did, so even though we went 2-10, I still had a lot of confidence in him, as awful as that record was. In retrospect, this year is probably the most forgettable, meaningless and boring CU season I have experienced. Very few memories from this.

2007- This was the peak of my Hawk support. I saw this season as a great step forward from the previous one. I truly believed that Oklahoma game was the turning point, and that we would never look back. It felt so good to upset a great team, something we hadnt done in so long, that I was blinded by all the things that went bad in the second half of that season. The ISU and Mizzou games should have been huge red flags, but I couldnt stop thinking, well, we beat Oklahoma, CSU, and Nebraska. Those are the three teams I always want to beat- And then we got Darrell Scott and I was sure that 2008 would be another step forward.

2008- This is where I started losing confidence. Yeah, we had a great 3-0 start, but that close win against Eastern Washington made me feel a little uneasy. But I kept telling myself, we smacked CSU around just like I feel we always should, and West Virginia was ranked... so things are definitely looking up. By the KU game, I lost confidence in Cody as a QB and was happy to see Tyler get a shot the next week, but then, I saw how poorly Dan managed the QB situation and started questioning his nepotism and coaching ability- something I would not have done in 2007. As the losses piled up that season, something happened that I didnt expect- I started caring less and less about Buff football. I still watched every game and went to every one I could, but the fire just wasn't really there. The great game we gave Nebraska in Lincoln (that I still think we deserved to win) and the considerable number of injuries just barely were enough to keep me on Hawks side- But the next year, he would have no more excuses. Barnett would be too far in the past in 2009, we would have more experience than ever, and injuries couldnt be that big of a factor again. 2009 had to be the year Hawk turned the corner.

2009- I laughed when Hawk said 10 wins, no excuses. But inside, I bought it. After all this crap that has happened- Montana State, Mizzou beatdowns, and the recent Kansas game- nothing has stung worse than that loss to CSU at Folsom. It was the flattest, most terrible performance I have ever seen the Buffs give. As I saw the CSU faithful storm our field and stomp on our logo, I never felt lower as a Buff fan. I gave up all confidence in Hawk- I've been calling for his head since. The KU game was nice, and it made me believe that maybe Hansen was the answer we needed, and had we started the season with him instead of Codyl, things would be different. But we all know how that works out. I was more upset than anyone when I heard Hawk would be coming back after that terrible season.

2010- Terrible.

Oh, and I felt absolutely nothing from the Toledo game. I remember laughing a little bit during some of Toledos big td plays, but thats it.

I really thought that 2008 was going to be the breakout season. In 2009 after the CSU game I knew things were going to be bad, and after the Toledo game Hawkins should have been fired.

The question that is most interesting to me now is if there is anything more that went wrong here other than the guy just plainly not knowing what the hell he was doing and Petersen running the show at Boise. He's obviously not an X's and O's guy but he did have success at Boise delegating that stuff to his coordinators and sort of just "running the show".

I guess in order for him to succeed as an HC he needs to have elite coordinators and have AT LEAST equal talent to the teams he is playing, if not superior talent.

Hawk should stay in Boulder and preach his 'life philosophy' to the weak and timid. 'Losing is ok if a lesson is learned'. He is not a football coach or a motivator of young men. This team has talent. This program can be relevant. We just hit the reset button.

2008- This is where I started losing confidence. Yeah, we had a great 3-0 start, but that close win against Eastern Washington made me feel a little uneasy. But I kept telling myself, we smacked CSU around just like I feel we always should, and West Virginia was ranked... so things are definitely looking up. By the KU game, I lost confidence in Cody as a QB and was happy to see Tyler get a shot the next week, but then, I saw how poorly Dan managed the QB situation and started questioning his nepotism and coaching ability- something I would not have done in 2007. As the losses piled up that season, something happened that I didnt expect- I started caring less and less about Buff football. I still watched every game and went to every one I could, but the fire just wasn't really there. The great game we gave Nebraska in Lincoln (that I still think we deserved to win) and the considerable number of injuries just barely were enough to keep me on Hawks side- But the next year, he would have no more excuses. Barnett would be too far in the past in 2009, we would have more experience than ever, and injuries couldnt be that big of a factor again. 2009 had to be the year Hawk turned the corner.

In my mind, that E. Washington game counted as a loss, simply because of how close to another Montana State debacle it almost was.

Good call on that Eastern Washington game. Two vivid memories from that game:

1. Cody absolutely telegraphing a pass right before half that ended up being a pick six. It was those types of plays that had me seriously wonder if Cody was going to get any better. Not to mention thinking EWU had the better QB on the field.
2. Needed our own pick six to deliver the game late in the 4th quarter.

Good call on that Eastern Washington game. Two vivid memories from that game:

1. Cody absolutely telegraphing a pass right before half that ended up being a pick six. It was those types of plays that had me seriously wonder if Cody was going to get any better. Not to mention thinking EWU had the better QB on the field.
2. Needed our own pick six to deliver the game late in the 4th quarter.

Didn't CU need to score 17 in the 4th just to win? Against Eastern Washington????????

Didn't CU need to score 17 in the 4th just to win? Against Eastern Washington????????

I just looked at the box score. We did indeed score 17 in the 4th, 14 of those points coming in the last four minutes. Yikes.

i was dumb enough to hold out hope all the way until toledo last year. that was the last straw for me...yikes

For me it was a lot of things.

When I first met him in early 2006 I had concerns. I was introduced to him at a Buff function and he was talking about himself in the 3rd person. There were 3 of us gather around him and not once did he try to find out who we were...one guy is a big donor and told me Hawk has never known who he was. It was obviously all about him...he just was not my style but that did not make him a bad coach just not my type of guy. Later at the recruiting luncheon Coach Mac gave his fire up the crowd speech saying that Hawkins would be successful because he was humble and determined and with those traits you could accomplish anything. I asked Coach Mac later if he really thought Hawkins was humble because he did not come across that way to me (Mac gave me a smile but no answers).

Before the CSU game in 2006 I tailgated with some parents of players, they told me that the family feel of the program that was there under Barnett was stripped out by Hawkins. The way that Hugh Charles was treated (something that always bothered me about Hagan also)....Hawkins talked about Character guys, Hugh was a character guy, a good student, a workout warrior, he just took the crap they gave him and kept on truckin', after Hugh had finished football his senior year, other guys were working out to get ready for the NFL draft, Hugh instead helped the CU track team win the Big 12 championship - he never put himself first. Roman Holloway was another example - made AA as a freshman kick returner. Hardly saw the field under Hawkins...did not feel like Hawkins was a character guy. The intramural rant...I did not care for the man so the performance on the field just verified what I felt. Always a lot of talk with little to back it up. Talked about national championships early on but then like to talk about doing things right. I had no doubt that he manipulated the QB position to serve his own purposes rather than for the good of the team.

If you want point to the on field performance - every season, no player development, poor special teams, team would never play a complete game, several collapses against weak team, no sense of urgency from the head coach. You all saw the same things that I did it was pathetic and it was horrible that he was not fired last year.

Hawkins is A problem. (or I should say was). He wasn't the only problem. I don't think there are any posters here who don't recognize that there are other issues that need to be addressed. Facilities, academic support, admissions, etc. all need to be improved. However, you can work on all those things until you're blue in the face but if you still have a raging incompetent running the football program, you won't make any success. Those other things can be dealt with over time, and I believe they are being dealt with. Dealing with those things doesn't get headlines, though.

I think all of this stuff is an excuse...when Hawkins got here they tripled the academic support budget, they doubled the recruiting budget, admissions were relaxed, they got the bubble, they totally revamped the locker rooms. Yes all those things could be improved more but at some point you make do with what you have. The problem was mostly Hawkins...

That is when I started calling for him to be gone. I had given him the bennefit of the doubt until then. Year 4 and to get beat on your own field in that game was disgusting. He went from possible to idigit at that point

This

I had some questions before that, but was willing to give him time and hope for the best. Getting embarrassed by CSU last year and then following it up with the Toledo game and I had lost all faith in the coaching staff.

Back