What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When did you know Hawkins was not the right guy for the job?

For me it was a lot of things.

When I first met him in early 2006 I had concerns. I was introduced to him at a Buff function and he was talking about himself in the 3rd person. There were 3 of us gather around him and not once did he try to find out who we were...one guy is a big donor and told me Hawk has never known who he was. It was obviously all about him...he just was not my style but that did not make him a bad coach just not my type of guy. Later at the recruiting luncheon Coach Mac gave his fire up the crowd speech saying that Hawkins would be successful because he was humble and determined and with those traits you could accomplish anything. I asked Coach Mac later if he really thought Hawkins was humble because he did not come across that way to me (Mac gave me a smile but no answers).

Before the CSU game in 2006 I tailgated with some parents of players, they told me that the family feel of the program that was there under Barnett was stripped out by Hawkins. The way that Hugh Charles was treated (something that always bothered me about Hagan also)....Hawkins talked about Character guys, Hugh was a character guy, a good student, a workout warrior, he just took the crap they gave him and kept on truckin', after Hugh had finished football his senior year, other guys were working out to get ready for the NFL draft, Hugh instead helped the CU track team win the Big 12 championship - he never put himself first. Stephone Robinson was another example - made AA as a freshman kick returner. Hardly saw the field under Hawkins...did not feel like Hawkins was a character guy. The intramural rant...I did not care for the man so the performance on the field just verified what I felt. Always a lot of talk with little to back it up. Talked about national championships early on but then like to talk about doing things right. I had no doubt that he manipulated the QB position to serve his own purposes rather than for the good of the team.

If you want point to the on field performance - every season, no player development, poor special teams, team would never play a complete game, several collapses against weak team, no sense of urgency from the head coach. You all saw the same things that I did it was pathetic and it was horrible that he was not fired last year.

fify

When the dust clears, I'm curious about what the deal is with not recruiting Texas.

Denver Johnson is a Houston guy. When he was hired, I thought he might bring connections to some high school football factories and get some lineman from the lone star state.

It's been the opposite. Seems you have to be the son of the GM of the NBA team to get to Boulder. Did Fmr Coach Hawkins black list Texas as a recruiting destination?

Back