What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

When do you go with a youth movement this season?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Seniors playing quite a bit are TSmith, Slavin, McCulloch, Parker, Goodson, Henderson, Crabb, Munyer, ToJo and Greer.

When do we see that cut down? After the 7th loss and a bowl game is no longer on the table?

Or should we see some moves right away such as more snaps for Donovan Lee, Ahkello Witherspoon, Evan White, Eddy Lopez, Gerrad Kough, Shane Callahan, Jonathan Huckins and Phillip Lindsay?

Heck, would you guys start getting game experience to guys like Connor Center and some of the other backup OLs at this point or do you think that the most important thing for this team is to continue to do all it can to be competitive and get another win or two this year?

Still think the team needs to get the payoff of at least a win this season, not ready to mail it in just yet.

Play whoever gives you the best shot at a win. The younger guys will likely get some playing time vs. Oregon in the 2nd half, like the USC game 2.

Seniors playing quite a bit are TSmith, Slavin, McCulloch, Parker, Goodson, Henderson, Crabb, Munyer, ToJo and Greer.

When do we see that cut down? After the 7th loss and a bowl game is no longer on the table?

Or should we see some moves right away such as more snaps for Donovan Lee, Ahkello Witherspoon, Evan White, Eddy Lopez, Gerrad Kough, Shane Callahan, Jonathan Huckins and Phillip Lindsay?

Heck, would you guys start getting game experience to guys like Connor Center and some of the other backup OLs at this point or do you think that the most important thing for this team is to continue to do all it can to be competitive and get another win or two this year?

That can be a dangerous move and a good way to lose your lockerroom. Seniors who have put in the effort deserve to keep playing - they have earned that right. Last thing you want is to send a message that you are not interested in winning and hard work and loyalty are no longer appreciated.

Get guys snaps where appropriate - but don't throw the seniors under the bus.

That can be a dangerous move and a good way to lose your lockerroom. Seniors who have put in the effort deserve to keep playing - they have earned that right. Last thing you want is to send a message that you are not interested in winning and hard work and loyalty are no longer appreciated.

I wouldn't throw them under the bus or bench them. But it's pretty common and expected for a coach to go deeper into his young depth as you near the end of a losing season.

One case I'd make right now is that Kough showed that there isn't a drop-off when he plays LG versus when Crabb does. For the rest of the year, I'd start Kough there and use Crabb as a flex OL since he can fill in for snaps at all 5 spots.

1+++

This. Need wins now more than preping guys for next year.

We need these wins for recruiting regardless of bowl eligibility. But, I also see Nik's point, as long as it's limited and carefully managed to not expose us too much on any given play.

he's not going to wholesale bring in the younger guys. it breaks the locker room. see embree.

he'll mix in guys who can contribute and they will get more time as the season goes on, but he's building for the long run-- that means showing a certain level of respect for the guys who have bought in and contributed and are short on time.

we're done this year. he's building for the future and he's doing it right, imho. i know i am a broken record but my beef is the recruiting. the rest of it they are the most competent staff we have had since barnett was here.

If we can keep the kids playing like we are, and find a way to beat UDub and Utah, plus play AU and UO close (14 or less might be a dream, but for the purpose here, say around 14 point losses on the road) then I think that gives us the next best thing to a bowl game for recruiting. We need a few high three or four star players to close out recruiting and give us more weapons and better kids on the field next year. And while I would love to redshirt The guy from Wyoming, I can't see him sitting with our LB situation, unless something changes.

I was thrilled to see Kough starting, He and Callahan played very well during the USC game and they both are as good if not better than who they replace. I understand playing the seniors because of their experience but there is no drop off when these 2 play so it would be beneficial to get them on the field. Munyer plays like he is mentally done with it. Just going through the motions.

They will play those who give them the best chance to win, even if we are 2-9 at the time. Also, I can't see any coach benching a senior for any other reason than he's not the best choice for the position.

We have a nice mix right now. No need to change.
This.

I think the right question to ask is if its even possible to go younger?

Defense:
In the secondary we've had a youth movement a year early due to injuries. at LB, already really young (2 sophs, 1 senior), but have played older at times due to injury. Only Senior getting snaps is Hendo. He's staying on, and should. Crawley is a junior, Spoon is a junior. Both need snaps, and who do you want to plug in? Yuri? Garbage time only unless otherwise needed, thanks.

At DE, really young.
at DT, already have the youth movement playing alongside the experienced guys.

Offense:
OL: Guard and RT. Already started with Kough. You could rotate guys in, but at the risk of disrupting the OL, which has gotten better and better. Pretty much garbage time.

TE: uhhh, what TE? Irwin gets time. I saw our frosh TE on the sideline. He needs 2 years of weight training at least. Not possible to get younger.
FB: already started with frazier.
WR: Nelson can play till he's done. Bobo is a RS frosh. Only senior is DD, and Dlee in for DD would be nice to see, or one of the other guys. I don't think we are getting much out of the #3 WR, so it wouldn't be a big drop off.

RB: Adkins has proven himself to be the best RB when healthy. Jones has been serviceable. Would like to see a few more carries for Lindsay. Keep Pow out unless we are not in the shotgun.

So yea, only one or two positions where it's even possible. Young team.

he's not going to wholesale bring in the younger guys. it breaks the locker room. see embree.

he'll mix in guys who can contribute and they will get more time as the season goes on, but he's building for the long run-- that means showing a certain level of respect for the guys who have bought in and contributed and are short on time.

we're done this year. he's building for the future and he's doing it right, imho. i know i am a broken record but my beef is the recruiting. the rest of it they are the most competent staff we have had since barnett was here.

I think we are already seeing this.

M2 isn't just going to bench the seniors. I have noticed though over the last few games that some of the young guys have been getting more reps and in key situations. Against UCLA we saw more of Bobo and Lee, Kough started but the report was that Crabb had a concussion. We saw more of Adkins than prior weeks but still saw ToJo instead of Lindsay most of the time.

I don't think that T. Smith would be playing at all on defense if it wasn't for the injuries, they don't have a choice. They have given White a lot of time at safety but his inexperience is still a liability. We don't have anyone to spell Greer with and McColloch has a size and skill set that none of the young guys has.

It is also important to remember that getting playing experience can be a big factor in developing players but over using them to a point where they get overwhelmed and discouraged can be a detriment. I think that you want to get them some snaps but also be cautious with guys like Lopez and some of the OL guys.

Edit: Agree with Snow's post as well. Hendo deserves to be out there and it looks to me like he is doing a lot of "coaching" on the field with the young guys. He is the kind of leader who can make young guys better.

Last edited:
Back