1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is CU going to pay Boyle what he is worth?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by rialto, Mar 10, 2012.

1. rialto

rialto Member

I saw where the great Larry Krystkowiak at Utah is paid about $1 million per year for producing a 6-25 team.

Boyle was recently extended to 2016, and as best I can tell, received a booming 3% merit increase in February bringing his base salary to $165,830. His "compensation package" remained unchanged at $429,000. Plus his performance incentives are 1) $200,000 now (compared to $100,000 before), which he seems likely to earn 2) $30,000 for winning 21 games (which just happened!), 3) $30,000 for being coach of the year 4) $750,000 for winning an NCAA title.

So the best I can tell Boyle will make up to $824,830 this season ($165,830+$429,000+ $30,000 + $200,000). How does CU expect to keep him for long, when he is arguably the best but lowest paid coach in the PAC 12?.

Sean Miller - $2.3 million
    Ben Howland - $2.0 million
    Dana Altman - $1.8 million
    Mike Montgomery - $1.6 million
    Herb Sendek - $1.3 million
    Lorenzo Romar - $1.3 million
    Larry
    Krystkowiak -$1.0 million
    Johnny Dawkins - $1.0 million, likely more
    Craig Rbinson - $950,000, not including huge NCAA Tourney bonuses
    Ken Bone - $850,000
    Tad Boyle - $824,830

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Howland, Sendek, and Krystkowiak are overpaid.

3. rialto

rialto Member

actually, Boyle is hugely underpaid. Can CU possibly sack-up and pay a great coach what he is worth? Or is it better to play the liberal, money envying PC game so the members of the sports-hating faculty and Brittany Anus from the Boulder Daily Pravda do not criticize CU? Why risk losing Boyle? He has recruited great kids, built huge positive visibility for the university, drawn great home crowds and is winning at a rate no CU coach in history has.

4. RK

RK UBL Club Member

If he continues this success he will get the money, they re did his contract and it is filled with incentives.

5. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

Relax, Debbie Downer. Tad left a high six-figure salary as an investment manager to take an assistant coaching position at a small college that paid $25,000 because he missed the game. So he has amply demonstrated that he doesn't care all that much about the money.

As he builds CU into a national program, the money will come ... maybe not to the extent of the overpaid coaches in the Pac 12, but as I said ... it's not about the money to him. CU is his "dream job," as he has reiterated several times.

6. rialto

rialto Member

I included the incentives in Boyle's NEW contract. His new contract leaves him as the lowest paid coach in the PAC 12. That is not fair nor a path which will sustain success, unless Boyle is incredibly unique

7. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

I dunno. I feel like we have this attitude, but could be setting ourselves up for disappointment. It was cool to send the kids to la, but I don't know how serious CU is about investing in success by paying Boyle the big bucks, and competing with potentially huge offers elsewhere

8. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I see what you're doing here, and I like it.

9. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

My understanding - and I may be misremembering a conversation - is that Boyle's current contract is essentially a stop-gap, and he will be getting paid pretty bug bucks within the next few years.

10. brotherchaos

brotherchaos New Member

You're jumping the gun a little bit here. He came from UNC. He got a small contract, did really well, and then got restructured after the season.

He's obviously building something great here, so he should get rewarded for that, but you don't do that during the season. Why don't you wait to complain until they've actually had a chance to do something about it?

11. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Great timing, Rialto.

The subject has merit. But I question your motives for posting so close to the tip off of the CCG.

Do you really think this topic at this moment in time is something other than a buzzkill?

Do you talk about cancer at wedding receptions?

12. rialto

rialto Member

J Buff - "Debby Downer" is a horse **** comment meant to undermine my very valid concern.

You're ignorant IMO. You are ASSUMING Boyle does not mind being underpaid now and that CU will pay him in the future. Both may be incorrect.

Why not simply pay Boyle what is worth now, like any professional?

13. rialto

rialto Member

dio - that's encouraging if true, but Boyle is still being seriously underpaid now.

14. wsp4820

NBD disapproves this post.

15. The Guest

The Guest Guest

This is turning into a surprisingly pleasant thread.

[​IMG]

16. L Buff

[​IMG]

If you're going to post such unnecessarily alarmist bull**** just before the CCG, you'd better grow a pair.

17. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Rialto started the thread with a strong first post... now the tailspin.

18. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Decent cartoon.

[video=youtube;UsQTzxzDYjw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQTzxzDYjw[/video]

19. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

Boyle's had the job, what, 18 months now? And he's already received one raise/extension. Let's give the ad a chance before going overboard on this. No one expected the program to rise this fast. If we're having this same conversation in a year or two, then I'll worry.

20. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Fify

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  21. rialto

rialto Member

Bohn and the CU Admin say they love Boyle (how could they not), saw him produce great results last year and now this year, with a Top 25 recruiting class already signed and still won't pay him AFTER an extension in February. I think CU thinks they can get away with out paying Boyle what the market will pay him for his success. They will do the same thing with Embree if he has any success.

22. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Relax. This is Boyle's second season at CU. They improved his contract after his first year. One of the biggest things Bohn is criticized for, and rightly so, was handing Hawkins a contract extension in year 2 of his deal. Yes, Boyle deserves more. But there is absolutely no reason to think that Bohn and Boyle should be negotiating an extension or renegotiation during the season, much less the post-season. How about we get to the off-season before we start bitching about things that would never happen until then.

EDIT: D'oh! Just realized the extension was last month, not during the offseason.... :rolling_eyes: Still, we are talking about a coach who has been here two years. Yes, he is doing a great job, but it is still way too early to be panicking about not putting him at the top of the conference pay schedule.

23. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

rialto - you're absolutely right if you're on the outside just looking at the numbers and what Boyle's relative worth is to our program.

However, Boyle did not even ask for the recent raise or extension. Word at the burrito stand is that he actually had Bohn give him less money than Bohn wanted to pay him in order to leave more money for the program budget (i.e., taking 50 students to the tourney).

Money's not the motivator here for Boyle. The motivator is whether his program is given the resources and support to build a champion. He's much more interested in having great facilities for recruiting and training, building fan and community support, having the assistant coach salaries he needs to attract and retain top guys, top notch academic support, a large recruiting budget, and the ability to spend what's necessary to get the schedule he wants.

If he gets all that and builds a consistent 20+ win team that's in the NCAAs all the time, the job security is going to be there and he knows without a doubt that he'll have complete job security in a place he loves while earning enough to provide his family with generational wealth. An extra hundred grand next year pales. There's work to do.

torerobuff likes this.
  24. L Buff

^^^^
    THIS

Maybe your best post EVAR. :thumbsup:

25. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

824 K is good money. I still want to wait for a NCAA appearance or two before improving his pay.

26. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Don't sell Nik short, man. It's a good post, but resides somewhere in the 17th percentile of Nik's overall body of work. I celebrate the guy's entire catalog.

27. wsp4820

Nik's Mattslap/post ratio is off the charts today. When you consider that he mattslaps you in a nice way, it's really all the more incredible.

28. The Guest

The Guest Guest

It's more like a teabag, really. Nik's nutsack just gently resting on Rialto's shoulder.

29. wsp4820

Very aromatic.

30. The Guest

The Guest Guest

No kidding. We've all pretty much been there.