1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is Top Tier finish going to happen?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by HawaiiBUFF, Mar 10, 2013.

1. HawaiiBUFF

HawaiiBUFF Well-Known Member

Tad Boyle hasn't finished higher than 5th in the conference (Big12/Pac12) since he has arrived in Boulder. We also had a chance to tie the most regular season wins this year if we had beaten OSU like we should've. I wanted to see when everyone thinks our time is going to come to get up in the 1st/2nd/3rd of the conference and be regularly ranked etc?

2. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

Next year. The talent/depth wasn't there this year, but we'll be much better and more experienced for 2013-14.

3. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

In the big picture, we actually moved up one spot from last year with a very young team. Tad is doing just fine.

4. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

agree, the redshirts this year are going to contribute significantly. The young talent this year has progressed really well, will be stronger and the experience has been tremendous from a building block standpoint. Take a look at how the bench is now performing versus the early games this year. Early on we were looking at not much more than a decent 6 man rotation but Tad kept getting them valuable minutes. They have gotten much better and for the most part, Tad is managing the rotation really, really well.

I see the team contending next year for the regular season title and being a top 15 team.

5. HawaiiBUFF

HawaiiBUFF Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with you. To clarify, I do not think we are doing bad by any means. We are very young and Tad has once again done a tremendous job. I just hope that we are going to be Preseason Top 25 and Picked 1st,2nd or 3rd in the Pac-12 in future years.

6. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

If this team had only held serve at home, which was easily do-able, they would be Pac 12 regular season champs this very moment.

Based on the depth and overall talent which should be available next season, I agree, Buffs should be Top 25 to start, then move up and stay in the Top 15 all year next.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  7. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Depends on who goes and who stays. We could be a consistent top 25 team all year next year or we could play with being ranked throughout the season. I think we will definitely be better at home (and we are already damn good at home under Boyle).

To be consistently in the top 3rd (1-4) I think it's going to take 2-3 years, if thinking optimistically, and 3-4 years realistically.

You have to remember that with Pac12 money coming in there's going to be an arms/coach race in MBB much like there is in CFB. The league will get better, but I believe Boyle is building a long-term winner.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  8. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

They lost 3 games @ home by a total of 10 points. Very frustrating stat. Factor in getting screwed in Tucson, and the debacle in Utah, and it shows how painfully close they came to having a top tier season. But, teams are defined by how well they did in the postseason.

Next year barring any major injuries, or the Mayor leaving early, anything less than a top 4 finish will be dissapointing.

9. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

This team did get better in a lot of ways this year but as others have stated the depth was not there. We were also starting two true Fr. and two Soph. players most of the season. Our one senior is an important guy but a role player, not a key player. We have another young bigman coming on line next year off of redshirt in addition to what should be a huge talent infusion with the incoming class.

It would also be fair to say that the team did better this year in a league that was over all better than it was last year. All things considered a good year and a step forward.

The only hitch for the future is that some other schools in the league are also adding quality talent. Moving into the top three is going to involve beating some very good teams.

10. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

There is a very noticeable difference in the Pac-12's talent just from last year to this year. If it gets as competitive towards the top as I think it will, it will be hard for us to field the best team in the conference because I don't see us ever getting the kids UCLA and UofA get. I'm not even sure Tad wants those kids (lots of one and dones).

As long as Tad is here, I see us in the top-half of the conference perenially, top-4 about half to two-thirds the time, and we'll get that regular season title once every five years or so when we have the right mix of older/younger talent.

11. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

I see us owning the Pac 12 from here on out. Arizona is already our bitch.

12. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Yeah that

13. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We may be favored next season.

Lost in the OP is the fact that the Buffs have finished above the pre-season prognostications for our conference all 3 years that Tad has been our coach.

14. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

I really do hope that Tad is the guy to take us to the promised land and there isn't a glass ceiling at CU. At some point some blueblood program is going to come calling and I don't know if any amount of cash can keep him. Let's hope the Boulder/Colorado tie is stronger than we think. The program is dependent on him at this point.

15. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Tad was making a nice six-figure income as a stocker broker in Boulder. He left that to become a $18,000/yr. DoBB Ops, to get back in the coaching game. He's been all over the country as an asst. coach, so he knows where the "good weather, good people" are (unlike some HS FB player who loves his visit to Notre Dame or 'Bama, because it comes on one of five decent weather days in South Bend or Tuscaloosa and they never take recruits to the scary "other side of the tracks" in those burgs) He seems motivated by more than dollars, which at his level, is just a way of keeping score anyway.

Glass ceiling in Boulder? How? New practice facility, very decent arena filled by an active, supportive student body in a respected university, in a great town, near a great metropolis, unlike that sh*thole UNM, which has only the Pit to brag on.

If any place has a "glass ceiling", you'd think it would be place like Alb-Q (or maybe Manhattan, KS).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013