What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Where are you at with this staff??

Where are you at on this Staff?

• Total voters
Dillion redshirted, and the TX trio have not played. All other have and most start.

Last year's class was great. But I would have really liked them to follow it up with a staff with some difference makers at skill positions, and the OL recruiting is looking pretty awful

We are not going to get some big name coach to come in here with the support JE gets from Benson et al. Then we would be right back where we are right now. Unless the admin starts supporting this program we are just spinning our wheels and hoping for a miracle.

Based mostly on the QB out of Washington and assuming we keep the TE out of Chapparal. Still early, in the DH days we would have 1 verbal at this point.

This is a very typical late-era Hawkins class in terms of talent right now. Loading up on commitments early doesn't mean anything when the majority are highly questionable BCS-caliber players.

I don't think it's realistic to judge him based on 15 games with primarily inherited players with a pretty low skill/speed/size level. He's really gotten one recruiting class here. I know he scraped together something decent in three weeks after he was hired, but that isn't a recruiting cycle. He deserves another year after this one unless the wheels come completely off Fresno style for the rest of the season.

1 out of 3 classes having good players isn't our goal.

First class staff had two months to get. Second class was solid. Current class seems to be coming together nicely all things considered. Not sure what you expect seeing how we aren't Bama and staff is not U. Meyer and co.

First class staff had two months to get. Second class was solid. Current class seems to be coming together nicely all things considered. Not sure what you expect seeing how we aren't Bama and staff is not U. Meyer and co.

A class on track to be ranked 70th IF we hold on to Parsons. Let's extend Embree 10 years.

Umm. No were not Bama. But we aren't ****ing Wyoming either. Last years class was acceptable. This years class is concerning. I don't base my opinion on star ratings, I consider what offers the player has as the biggest judge of his talent.

Don't insult us by stating we think we should be getting Bama level recruits. We aren't that naive (well I'm not).

A class on track to be ranked 70th IF we hold on to Parsons. Let's extend Embree 10 years.

**** it. You win. Staff sucks, class sucks, CUFB sucks. Fire JE now. And who would you hire and how long would you give them?

Haha, did you just go there SCB? I'm guessing that you don't follow our recruiting as closely as most of us do or you'd understand most everyone's concern with this classes lack of hype.

Does SCB stand for Silly Cry Baby? Well don't act like one.

**** it. You win. Staff sucks, class sucks, CUFB sucks. Fire JE now. And who would you hire and how long would you give them?

It appears that way as of now. 1 win over Wazzu doesn't erase a loss to CSU, a home loss to Sacramento State, and getting the doors blown off by Fresno in which they could have scored 100.

This is simply not a good recruiting class. There's really no way around it, and Parsons freaking out is downright frightening. The only bright spot is that this is not a large class. The worst part is it's September and there is literally ONE "blue chipper" we have a chance with.

Yes. CU FB sucks right now. There's really no way around that either. We're 4-13 under Embree and haven't been to a bowl since '07. I assumed that was common knowledge.

Am I really crazy to suggest that Embree winning 3 games this season should be the baseline for keeping his job? That's what I've been on the record suggesting. Is a 6-19 record over two seasons REALLY that crazy to ask for? I suppose so. It's just unbelievable that apparently THAT is setting the bar too high right now for CU football.

Haha, did you just go there SCB? I'm guessing that you don't follow our recruiting as closely as most of us do or you'd understand most everyone's concern with this classes lack of hype.

Does SCB stand for Silly Cry Baby? Well don't act like one.

Come on now, you can do better than that. Aside from that, there was a serious question: If we fire JE who would you hire and how long would you give that coach to turn things around.

Look C-ville, Nobody was more disappointed than me when we lost to CSU and followed it up with a loss to Suck-St. and the worst loss ever in my memory to FSU (I never thought it would get worse than KU loss two years ago but it did). I spent a half hour on the horn with an assistant AD chewing him out about how f-ing embarrassing this team has become and that I'm not giving another dime until I see some improvement.

However, we don't have the resources to constantly fire and hire new coaches. So what do we do? Serious question.

Come on now, you can do better than that. Aside from that, there was a serious question: If we fire JE who would you hire and how long would you give that coach to turn things around.

I could do a lot better than that, but refrained from it in order to keep this semi-friendly. I was fine with keeping Embo through this year until **** hit the fan. I need to see marginal improvements in order to continue to stand behind him. If he wins 3 games this year, I'm all for keeping him. If he doesn't win another game and these losses all feel like FSU, I want him dumped. Who would I hire? Calhoun. I'd give him a 4 year contract and as long as he doesn't pull what Embree has, he will make it that long. We're starting to get real money from the PAC and we're going to have legit facilities. It's time to stop pussyfooting around. I want a damn winner on the field as fast as possible.

Assuming it was a reputable coach with an experienced staff, they'd get 3-5 years assuming they didn't let Fresno lead them by 48 at half and lose at home to 9th place Big Sky teams. Most coaches deserve that. However, there comes a time where a coach has done so poorly that it becomes obvious that they simply aren't the man for the job and the sooner ties are cut, the better. We're currently teetering right on the edge of that with JE. WSU was a step in the right direction, but there's obviously nothing to suggest that wasn't an aberration at *this point*. I want him to do well as much as the next guy, but "youth" doesn't excuse our start to the season. I really think asking for 3 wins in year 2 is a more than generous benchmark...

We are not going to get some big name coach to come in here with the support JE gets from Benson et al. Then we would be right back where we are right now. Unless the admin starts supporting this program we are just spinning our wheels and hoping for a miracle.

Can you give some details about what you mean? It has been brought up in another thread (Barzil, maybe) that JE & Co have been given exceptional support by the administration.

Either fire everyone or let them sink together. No way Embree is going to find good coordinators to work for him if EB and Brown are fired. I would fire them all the day after the season ends.

If, and I do mean if, JE and staff get dropped, who is coming in? Calhoun? Good FB mind but somebody please help me with the last Military Academy coach who went somewhere else and did jacksquat. There are certain advantages academies get that most are not aware of. Calhoun is not a proven recruiter.

Sonny Dykes? Tere is a good name.

Christensen at Wyo? Another possibility.

Kirby Smart, Charlie Strong aren't coming here.

Tommy Bowden?

Who else are you going to get?

I didn't vote because the last 9 games of the season are really going to tell us a lot about how good the staff is. The first three games were an unmitigated, indefensible disaster. Then the staff took their vitamins and coached the hell out of the Wazzu game. It wasn't even that we won, it was that so much of everything that had been missing the first three games suddenly appeared, and we looked like an actual team and a competent staff.

So what I'm looking for the last 9 games is a) no reprisal of Fresno, I don't care who the opponent is; and b) the same level of effort, passion, and heart from the team and the same in-game coaching adjustments and general coaching aptitude that we saw in Wazzu. I think that if we play 9 more games like that, we're going to win a handful of them, have a great upset in there somewhere, and that it will positively fuel the December-January recruiting blitz.

If, and I do mean if, JE and staff get dropped, who is coming in? Calhoun? Good FB mind but somebody please help me with the last Military Academy coach who went somewhere else and did jacksquat. There are certain advantages academies get that most are not aware of. Calhoun is not a proven recruiter.

Tommy Bowden?

I like the idea of Christenson. He's done pretty well at Wyoming, and ran missouri's best offense ever.

JE's biggest mistake IMO was not hiring experienced coordinators. Especially since he has zero head coaching or coordinating experience himself. First order of business should have been surrounding himself with X's and O's guys smarter than him. Then he could have just focused on being a rah-rah guy that bleeds Buff colors. Having to turn around an entire program that was burnt to the ground and pissed all over is a super tall order and becomes exponentially more difficult for guys who are learning on the job. He needs to equal his win total from last year to get another year and if he does I would expect Brown and Marshall at the very least to be fired if the D and OL don't improve.

I realize that. Like you, I'm skeptical of this class already. I just can't stand to see us lose the top recruits from it. If that happens, I'm done.

I'm starting to wonder if Ross is already gone with the offer to Hardaway. It sound like if the Buffs can win a few, Parsons will stick around, I'm skeptical we can win a few more however

Tommy Bowden?

If you were an employer, would you keep a failing employee because you didn't know who you were going to replace that person with? I get that head coaching isn't exactly a "normal" business but I think it would be a complete failure on the AD's part if they kept a failing coaching staff simply because they weren't sure they could find somebody better.

Big believer in the three-year argument. That said, we need to see improvement, a steady upward trajectory, going forward. Not necessarily wins or 5* recruits, but solid, meaningful evidence the players buy the system and the system can produce wins in year 3.

My solution to this mess is milk of amnesia. On the recruiting side, the 4 and 5 stars, especially skill players, can go just about anywhere and don't need to take a chance on a rebuilding team if they plan on being around for only 3 years and want to get their draft stock up quickly. I like EBs presence and energy, especially on the sideline. I don't know how much Rip did as far as play calling and planning for the Wazzou game but that part was improved. I have no faith in Greg Brown as a coordinator though. Marshall hasn't gotten results with reasonable OL talent so he should be on a short leash. I'm willing to give Embree another year if this team plays with heart like they did this past weekend. I was thinking the fight song should be modified temporarily for this year to 'fight, fight for dignity'.

I didn't vote because the last 9 games of the season are really going to tell us a lot about how good the staff is. The first three games were an unmitigated, indefensible disaster. Then the staff took their vitamins and coached the hell out of the Wazzu game. It wasn't even that we won, it was that so much of everything that had been missing the first three games suddenly appeared, and we looked like an actual team and a competent staff.

So what I'm looking for the last 9 games is a) no reprisal of Fresno, I don't care who the opponent is; and b) the same level of effort, passion, and heart from the team and the same in-game coaching adjustments and general coaching aptitude that we saw in Wazzu. I think that if we play 9 more games like that, we're going to win a handful of them, have a great upset in there somewhere, and that it will positively fuel the December-January recruiting blitz.

You pretty much described option #2.

The problem with this staff is they're learning on the job, and not fast enough. Maybe they'll be better at their next HC/OC/DC jobs.

If you were an employer, would you keep a failing employee because you didn't know who you were going to replace that person with? I get that head coaching isn't exactly a "normal" business but I think it would be a complete failure on the AD's part if they kept a failing coaching staff simply because they weren't sure they could find somebody better.

The question is why is the employee failing? Is he in a situation that is hard to succeed or does he not have the tools for success? It is always a somewhat arbitrary call in these situations. Why was Belichick a failure at Cleveland? With more time would he have succeeded? This all gets down to a lot of opinion and conjecture (both of which are in great supply on All Buffs).

Can you give some details about what you mean? It has been brought up in another thread (Barzil, maybe) that JE & Co have been given exceptional support by the administration.

By support I mean facilities upgrade, maybe a few more loopholes for at risk recruits academically, and higher salaries for all coaches. With a commitment to a new IPF/weight room and upgrades to Folsom our current staff could recruit with pretty much everyone in the conference except the elite two. We would also increase our chances of landing a coach that would turn some heads of fans and recruits if the JE project doesn't work out.

Back