What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which Buffs get drafted next year... and where?

Spruce will be undervalued in the draft because the NFL still favors speed/athleticism over production. Somebody who runs a 4.3 in pre-draft camp but with 1/2 the catches Spruce has will be drafted before him. That's just the way it is.

Fact is, he's no more than an outside #2 or slot WR in the NFL and teams don't spend a premium pick (1st-3rd) on that kind of receiver.

He is a good enough route runner and has great hands, so I believe he could thrive with the right QB, but he will never be an "above the X's and O's" player.

idk, I saw some team pick a blocking TE in the third round this year.

Nelson Spruce is a nice college player but does not have the measurable numbers that NFL teams like in a WR. Plus his stats really dropped off once CU got into the heart of the season - 10 TDs in the first 5 games, 2 in the last 7. I think he may increase his value with a good senior season but still a late round pick at best.

KC and Nembot both could go in the first 3 rounds, Nembot made strides last year and has the numbers that scouts like. KC is a better CB than most Buff fans think, lack of any up front pressure put a lot of pressure on the CBs. Tupou needs a better year next year and he can be a 4th round pick but otherwise he is a late round pick. Bell is unknown until we see how he comes back from injury. Powell will not get drafted unless he has some phenomenal year.

Nelson Spruce is a nice college player but does not have the measurable numbers that NFL teams like in a WR. Plus his stats really dropped off once CU got into the heart of the season - 10 TDs in the first 5 games, 2 in the last 7. I think he may increase his value with a good senior season but still a late round pick at best.

KC and Nembot both could go in the first 3 rounds, Nembot made strides last year and has the numbers that scouts like. KC is a better CB than most Buff fans think, lack of any up front pressure put a lot of pressure on the CBs. Tupou needs a better year next year and he can be a 4th round pick but otherwise he is a late round pick. Bell is unknown until we see how he comes back from injury. Powell will not get drafted unless he has some phenomenal year.
Spruce isn't a late round pick at best

What is going to hurt Spruce the most is that he'll be rated high before the combine, but good (not great results). Someone else will put up godly numbers and some dumbass GM will fall for them instead.

What is going to hurt Spruce the most is that he'll be rated high before the combine, but good (not great results). Someone else will put up godly numbers and some dumbass GM will fall for them instead.

It won't surprise me if Spruce runs low 4.5s or even in the 4.4s at the Combine next year. In fact, I'll expect it. I'd be surprised if Nelson trains for the event for a couple months and doesn't put on a show.

I think the one thing that concerns me most going forward is we do not seem to have many draftable front seven players.

Right now they don't seem draftable. Front seven positions are the kind where maturity and hard work can make one draftable. Many Buffs Front seven players are still young, but show promise, even if they aren't all league caliber right now.

It will be interesting to see what impact Leavitt will have on these guys.

Meanwhile just to show how thin our senior class was this year CSU-Pueblo had something like six players signed to UDFA contracts.

When Sacky talks about the hole that Bohn via Hawkins/Embree left this program in this class is an indisputable argument.

My guess is that the players that get drafted next year are Nembot, Crawley, Spruce, and Tupou. Unless someone absolutely puts together a monster year, I think these 4 are the only ones with a shot. Either Nembot or Crawley could go first day; depending on the year that they have and what they do at the combine. They both have prototypical size and it seems like mentality to be potential first rd picks - I just don't know what the draft pool looks like for Tackle and/or Corner next year. Tupou - to me is the biggest wildcard. With the change to the 3-4 and him playing right in the middle, it will be interesting to see how he fares at NT this upcoming fall. As high quality NT's are hard to find, if he does well this fall I think he goes in Rd 5.

Nembot - Rd 1-3
Crawley - Rd 1-3
Spruce - Rd 2-4
Tupou - Rd 5-7 (depending on his output this year)
Bell - might be picked up after the draft, but I think I'd be wary of drafting him with his knee history if it was my team.

I think Crawley goes before any of them.
Agreed. Crawley took huge strides in 2014. He has everything the NFL looks for in a corner, he just needs to start making plays on the ball and getting turnovers. If he does that, he could be a day one pick.

The best thing that could happen to Crawley would be for us to develop some pass rush. Force QBs to make some fast decisions and off balance throws in his direction and give him the chance to make some plays.

Nembot could rocket up the boards. DJ Humphries from Florida was absolute garbage on the field throughout his injury-plagued career but his measurables got him into the first round this year.

He's more than a blocking TE, and it's completely different regarding WR.

oh word

landry_3%20%282%29.JPG

Spruce's position in the draft will be directly impacted by how many WR's are available. There was a higher than normal amount of premium wide receivers this year.

Jarvis Landry is small for his position, fast, runs great routes, has great hands, and was drafted in the 2nd round. Led the team in receiving yards.

Right. Drafted in the 2nd round for the potential to be a #1 WR for the Dolphins, which was my original point when White Rabbit brought up Heuerman as a premium pick.

NFL teams aren't drafting WRs in the first 3 rounds with the idea that they'll be limited to a #2 or slot role in the NFL.

Right. Drafted in the 2nd round for the potential to be a #1 WR for the Dolphins, which was my original point when White Rabbit brought up Heuerman as a premium pick.

NFL teams aren't drafting WRs in the first 3 rounds with the idea that they'll be limited to a #2 or slot role in the NFL.

No. That is what you don't get. Landry was drafted in the 2nd round to be a slot receiver. The position he plays for the Dolphins. Mike Wallace was the #1 WR last year. Wallace was unproductive and inconcistent so they spent a 1st round pick this year on DeVante Parker from Louisville as the new #1.

If spruce puts up the numbers this year and can wow at the combine, he has a legitimate shot to be drafted in rounds 2-4

Landry is 5'11" 205, runs a 4.6 40
Spruce is 6'1" 195, runs a 4.5 40

Spruce has prototypical size to be a slot receiver in the NFL. He could stand to put on some weight, but I expect that will come easily once he is draft training.

Last edited:
No. That is what you don't get. Landry was drafted in the 2nd round to be a slot receiver. The position he plays for the Dolphins. Mike Wallace was the #1 WR last year. Wallace was unproductive and inconcistent so they spent a 1st round pick this year on DeVante Parker from Louisville as the new #1.

If spruce puts up the numbers this year and can wow at the combine, he has a legitimate shot to be drafted in rounds 2-4

Landry is 5'11" 205, runs a 4.6 40
Spruce is 6'1" 195, runs a 4.5 40

Spruce has prototypical size to be a slot receiver in the NFL. He could stand to put on some weight, but I expect that will come easily once he is draft training.

Fair enough. I didn't realize he was a slot guy for them. Regardless, of course there are some examples of this happening, but I still maintain my position that picks spent on WRs in rounds 1-3 are typically spent with the idea that they can be the top guy. Maybe 3 or 4 of the WRs taken this year in those rounds are drafted with the idea of being a slot guy or #2. The rest are guys who should be expected to be the #1 eventually.

Spruce could really show out at the combine and vault himself into the first or second day. I just don't see it happening at this point, that's all.

Fair enough. I didn't realize he was a slot guy for them. Regardless, of course there are some examples of this happening, but I still maintain my position that picks spent on WRs in rounds 1-3 are typically spent with the idea that they can be the top guy. Maybe 3 or 4 of the WRs taken this year in those rounds are drafted with the idea of being a slot guy or #2. The rest are guys who should be expected to be the #1 eventually.

Spruce could really show out at the combine and vault himself into the first or second day. I just don't see it happening at this point, that's all.

Whatever racist...

All you need to get drafted high is for one team to believe in you or to let Josh McDaniel's into the draft room. Spruce maybe can move into the first 3 rounds but he will need a good year.

All you need to get drafted high is for one team to believe in you or to let Josh McDaniel's into the draft room. Spruce maybe can move into the first 3 rounds but he will need a good year.

I think Spruce being a hyper-productive college WR is pretty much seen as a given.

So I'm assuming that it will come down to Combine stuff with him. Confirm that he's over 6' tall. Hopefully have hand size measure over 9". Show off confirmation of his catching, routes and adjustment skills in drills. Then, beat the NFL averages for WR on vertical, forty and shuttle. That stuff should determine whether he's picked on the 2nd day.

I think Spruce being a hyper-productive college WR is pretty much seen as a given.

So I'm assuming that it will come down to Combine stuff with him. Confirm that he's over 6' tall. Hopefully have hand size measure over 9". Show off confirmation of his catching, routes and adjustment skills in drills. Then, beat the NFL averages for WR on vertical, forty and shuttle. That stuff should determine whether he's picked on the 2nd day.

Would add to the combine a good showing at the all-star games like the senior bowl. Get in front on NFL coaches and against draft likely DBs and show what he can do.

Back