What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

which is better......

First, compare us to UAB. If you do that, we are better off in the NIT. Then compare us to VCU. If you do that we would have been better off in the NCAA. So, there is no easy answer to the question.

These extra home games have been a great thing for this program. The fans have stepped up in attendance. That was a great showing on ESPN during spring break and the announcers did us justice by pointing out that fact.

I am no longer worried about not making the tourney. The ridiculous snub was awful, but we are getting a lot of positive exposure for our program at home and nationally with the NIT. Go Buffs! (and please play a little more D, Kent State took it to the hoop all freaking night).

I havent read every post in this thread so I apologize if this has been brought up. This run in the NIT is good for the program no doubt. However, I doubt our guys said at the beginning of the year, come on lets try to make the NIT. The goal is always the NCAA.

DMD -- everyone, including me, wants to see the Buffs with an ncaa tourney seed# next to the name. I was pissed when it didn't happen this year, and I'm glad the Buffs are making the best of this situation.

There are various things the staff can work on with the young guns, not just set plays, etc. There may be techniques that one or more of the players have struggled grasping, and this extended run gives the staff time to re-teach or reinforce. It could be something as simple as teaching a young C/PF a new low post move, or a wing player a new defensive technique. This time is invaluable since the staff can get these "added" lessons in now instead of the summer (I think?) when the staff can have contact with the team again.

This is gonna pay dividends down the road. But has got to be a one time deal.

I understand what you're saying, but many individual development, especially offensive development (shooting, post moves, driving, dribbling, etc.) are done in the offseason. You are correct that the staff has limited interaction with the team over the summer, so many players will work with other coaches or teammates during the summer to develop (e.g. most of Nolan Smith's development over the summer was not due to the Duke coaching staff - he went to DC and improved). I think the extra practice time from this NIT run is nice and important, but I just personally would not call it invaluable, like it would be for a football team. I'm just saying all of this to argue the case for making the NCAA over NIT...which I think even you agree with to a certain extent.

I understand what you're saying, but many individual development, especially offensive development (shooting, post moves, driving, dribbling, etc.) are done in the offseason. You are correct that the staff has limited interaction with the team over the summer, so many players will work with other coaches or teammates during the summer to develop (e.g. most of Nolan Smith's development over the summer was not due to the Duke coaching staff - he went to DC and improved). I think the extra practice time from this NIT run is nice and important, but I just personally would not call it invaluable, like it would be for a football team. I'm just saying all of this to argue the case for making the NCAA over NIT...which I think even you agree with to a certain extent.

Good stuff....I think you can argue both sides. I remain pissed about the screw job over not making the NCAAs. But, I am thrilled with how the team has performed in the NIT, the exposure we have received, and God damnit, that dunk by Sharpe (and the #1 Play of the ****ing Day) would never have happened had we made the NCAAs.

The goal at the beginning of every season is to make The NCAA. We didn't. FAIL! But when you fail, how you deal with failure defines who you are. These young men have kicked failures ass! WIN!!

Bump-->
yvEjT.gif

Remember when this was a real debate?

Does anyone here still think it would be better to win the NIT than get blown out in the Dance opener?

Bump-->
yvEjT.gif

Remember when this was a real debate?

Does anyone here still think it would be better to win the NIT than get blown out in the Dance opener?

IMO- you win the NIT and you come in 65th place in the country

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Clough talked about this the day after CU was snubbed. I called in to ask if this was a serious question, and he promptly boo'ed me off the air. I probably deserved it. :lol:

Winning the NIT is like being the tallest midget.

It can be great for young programs, programs gaining momentum, etc. However, there's just simply NO comparison. Most of you likely don't know who won the NIT last year off the top of your heads. Those who do know would recognize that's largely because of our relation to that program.

....winning the NIT, or getting blown out in the first round of the NCAAs?

I think it is winning the NIT.
Depends on the situation... take Robert Morris tonight. I think winning this game was better than getting blown out of the first round.

For CU in 2011, the NIT was a huge deal. Now it wouldn't be so much after two consecutive tournament appearances.

Depends on the situation... take Robert Morris tonight. I think winning this game was better than getting blown out of the first round.

For CU in 2011, the NIT was a huge deal. Now it wouldn't be so much after two consecutive tournament appearances.

NCAA>>>>>NIT every single day

I also think it depends on the situation. There are times when an NIT run can be a lot more beneficial to a team than an NCAA bid. More games, more practices, more tickets sold.

Back