What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which x-CU coach did BJ talk to?

"the truth"? Or revisionist history from the perspective of a self-perceived "victim"?

I thought Barnett needed to go. I don't disagree with Embree being fired. But I do find it quite humorous that the general reaction on this board is to point the finger at the people that used to be associated with the program as the REAL bad guys.

Don't any of you stop to think that Bohn is the one that created his own mess in all of this? How many people is it going to take to say the same thing? Or if your are involved with B4L, then it is automatically defined as being some lunatic with a vendetta?

Shut the **** up. If GB wasnt radioactive, he would have found another job by now.

Come on man. He has had other job offers. Why would he take anything at his age, and when he is collecting a kings ransom from PERA?

Bohn screwed Barnett? LOL. I loved Barnett... but if you think that Bohn somehow screwed him you are a ****ing idot. Barnett had to go at that point. Sorry to say.

It is a fair argument, Bill Cody.

The university and AD could use a lot of new faces (i.e, true outsiders) IMO.

Or if your are involved with B4L, then it is automatically defined as being some lunatic with a vendetta?

At this point probably not much a stretch. And that is a true shame. These guys really believe they are putting up the good fight for us BUFFS who don't have the platform.

Bohn screwed Barnett? LOL. I loved Barnett... but if you think that Bohn somehow screwed him you are a ****ing idot. Barnett had to go at that point. Sorry to say.

Okay, that's fair...screw was the wrong word. But he did lie to him...according to people very close to the situation.

Barnett and his boy Klatt can both **** off. It would be better if they were never seen or heard from again in relation to CU.

Okay, that's fair...screw was the wrong word. But he did lie to him...according to people very close to the situation.

And I doubt he is the first or last AD to lie to a coach about to be fired about their future. It's not a pretty part of the game, but it is a part of the game.

Sounds like Bonn gave Barnett a deadline to sign a contract. The exact same thing you wanted him to do with BJ.

Maybe we should get rid of Bohn and start fresh. New AD, new coach. Get an AD that has big program experience. Because that's three coaches now talking about how the system is set up right. And that is the ADs job. If he is the problem, then maybe we should move on.

I cant speak to colorado law or even what state would govern this but in california Barney could be liable for damages/and or found in violation of his severance agreement for discussing this, especially in a negative light. Not saying he should lie at all but that as someone who hires a lot of people commenting on former jobs to perspective new employee's is generally a bad idea.

Sometimes you guys are out to lunch. There was no severance agreement. Gary had a contract and it is over. There is no NDA and there certainly would not be binding 7 years after the fact - you can test that out in California also. And it would not happen in California either. Gary is always promoting CU and always says nice things about the University even in private. He was probably honest with Jones about the challenges he would face at CU. Probably many of you have done a similar thing...consulting contacts about a potential job or advise someone who thinks you have some perspective. I doubt that had much impact.

Maybe we should get rid of Bohn and start fresh. New AD, new coach. Get an AD that has big program experience. Because that's three coaches now talking about how the system is set up right. And that is the ADs job. If he is the problem, then maybe we should move on.

Bohn isn't perfect, but the last three CU football coaches haven't exactly done much after Colorado.

I'd venture a guess that Barnett pretty much said what he said here (from an interview on 11/30 on 102.3)
http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=737&f=855411
(at around the 7 min mark)

I'm sure he pointed out what he thought the issues were during his time, but I'm also sure he pointed out that it is possible to win at CU.

For whatever anyone thinks of Barnett, he's not the problem. Our problem is an administration that has only given lip service (if that) to supporting football for years and only now appears to understand the importance of it. They still need to prove that they really do get it though, and all Barnett is doing is speaking of his experiences under this and the prior administration. If BJ was scared away from the experiences of our HC from 7 years ago, then BJ definitely wasn't our guy.

BJ can go **** himself. What a dick. Things happen for a reason. And **** all of you guys for bashing Bohn. Let this play out before you get your panties twisted.

NIK - you need to take a deep breath.

BlackNGold - I'm watching what looks like a personal vendetta whith a mission to make Bohn look bad and fail regardless of whatever collateral damage that may do to the program.

Whatever you guys think of GB was fired, and how Bohn handled it, GB has been stand up about CU and I have not heard him say anything bad, unless it was a factual observation, and yes, CU like every place else has it's blemishes. In fact, Gb usually still uses "we" when talks about CU. The guy I ran into and spoke with at a CU BB game a while back had no grudges and was genuinely glad to on campus and rooting hard for CU. FWIW.

Here's why I don't think GB can say that "it's hard to win at CU"

RecordWin %
Fort Lewis8-11-143%
Northwestern35-45-144%
Colorado49-3856%

He did better at CU than he did anywhere else. Hell, if Southern Mississippi had lost one more game in 2001, his team would have played for the MNC.

I just don't think he can, or would, say you can't win here. More likely he says, "these are the challenges, and they are large, but, you can win, and win big."

What's the winning % at CU once GB left ??????

UOTE=skibum;1281946]Here's why I don't think GB can say that "it's hard to win at CU"

RecordWin %
Fort Lewis8-11-143%
Northwestern35-45-144%
Colorado49-3856%

He did better at CU than he did anywhere else. Hell, if Southern Mississippi had lost one more game in 2001, his team would have played for the MNC.

I just don't think he can, or would, say you can't win here. More likely he says, "these are the challenges, and they are large, but, you can win, and win big."[/QUOTE]

I'd venture a guess that Barnett pretty much said what he said here (from an interview on 11/30 on 102.3)
http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=737&f=855411
(at around the 7 min mark)

I'm sure he pointed out what he thought the issues were during his time, but I'm also sure he pointed out that it is possible to win at CU.

For whatever anyone thinks of Barnett, he's not the problem. Our problem is an administration that has only given lip service (if that) to supporting football for years and only now appears to understand the importance of it. They still need to prove that they really do get it though, and all Barnett is doing is speaking of his experiences under this and the prior administration. If BJ was scared away from the experiences of our HC from 7 years ago, then BJ definitely wasn't our guy.

thanks for the link. that was a really great interview. Solid questions and candid responses.

It would do no one any good if Barnett didn't tell the truth to Davis. We need a leader who is coming in with eyes open and a clear vision with how to move forward. Otherwise, we will just get a repeat of Hawkins--eager, naive, and totally unprepared for the long road ahead to respectability.

stl/dog,

That was completely beside the point that was being made. The point was that GB had his greatest success at CU so it would seem inconsistent if he thought that this was a really hard place at which to win.

Barney likes CU. He likes the fans. He actually respects the fan websites for backing him during the scandal. If he said that Boulder beats to it's own drum and that scared Butch Jones away, then so be it. Does he like Bohn, probably not, but I wouldn't care for the guy that fired me either.

GB was National Coach of the Year at Northwestern when he took maybe the worst program around to the Rose Bowl.....I know CU was his dream job, but IMO, his biggest success was the resurrection of NW. In fact, look at NW and CU now.....as crazy as it sounds....GB's finger prints are on both programs and for today at least, it looks to be a lot easier to win at NW.

stl/dog,

That was completely beside the point that was being made. The point was that GB had his greatest success at CU so it would seem inconsistent if he thought that this was a really hard place at which to win.

BlackNGold - I'm watching what looks like a personal vendetta whith a mission to make Bohn look bad and fail regardless of whatever collateral damage that may do to the program.

And you are calling out people who have said nothing publicly against CU which makes me wonder what the real agenda is. Jones rejection of CU had nothing to do with Gary Barnett. Barnett has said he does not agree with Mac and does not believe that race had anything to do with the Embree decision.

There is a lot of rancor on this board towards guys who have been on the field for the Black and Gold, either on the sidelines or in the trenches. It does not matter if you agree with them or not but alienating some of these guys is going to be bad in the long run for THE CU PROGRAM. Bohn obviously thought that having these people involved was important when he trotted out Mac and Crowder 7 years ago and hired Embree 2 years ago. Listen to Barnett sometime, he does a masterful job of laying out the situation on both sides and discusses the issues. Bohn has some fences to mend otherwise things are going to go bad for him.

And you are calling out people who have said nothing publicly against CU which makes me wonder what the real agenda is. Jones rejection of CU had nothing to do with Gary Barnett. Barnett has said he does not agree with Mac and does not believe that race had anything to do with the Embree decision.

There is a lot of rancor on this board towards guys who have been on the field for the Black and Gold, either on the sidelines or in the trenches. It does not matter if you agree with them or not but alienating some of these guys is going to be bad in the long run for THE CU PROGRAM. Bohn obviously thought that having these people involved was important when he trotted out Mac and Crowder 7 years ago and hired Embree 2 years ago. Listen to Barnett sometime, he does a masterful job of laying out the situation on both sides and discusses the issues. Bohn has some fences to mend otherwise things are going to go bad for him.

Rep a 1000x over.

What the AD needs to do is honor folks for their achievements and what they have done for the program.

The mistake was involving them. The last thing any organization needs is folks who were in that organization 5, 10 or even 20 years ago having a lot of influence on current operations. Other programs move on and they benefit from that. CU has not.

This is actually my biggest criticism of Bohn. He opened the door too wide. A strong leader wouldn't have allowed it.

What the AD needs to do is honor folks for their achievements and what they have done for the program.

The mistake was involving them. The last thing any organization needs is folks who were in that organization 5, 10 or even 20 years ago having a lot of influence on current operations. Other programs move on and they benefit from that. CU has not.

This is actually my biggest criticism of Bohn. He opened the door too wide. A strong leader wouldn't have allowed it.

And yet you defend him...

Back