What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which x-CU coach did BJ talk to?

So we're on the "if you didn't play, you have no say" track again.

Listen - there's rancor among CU ALUMS, DONORS, and FANS because they see a group of people with obvious axes to grind running a scorched earth campaign to take down one guy. If you don't see it that way, fine. But a lot of us do. Now, I don't think anyone has ever said that everyone who has played or coached is on the "wrong side". There is a very small, very loud segment that is acting in a way that is hurting the image of the football program, the AD, and the University as a whole, both short-term and perhaps long.

I don't see any reason to not speak out about the way these people are acting. There's no reason to sit on our hands and bow our heads and say, "oh he played, he can say anything he wants, and I should just swallow my opinion". That's bull****. Especially when you, I, and everyone else can see that there is a very obvious reason for their actions, and it doesn't necessarily align with legitimate concerns about the long-term health of the program and AD as much as it aligns with short-term anger about their perception of how certain people were treated.

And yet you defend him...

I defend some things about Bohn.

The plan he used to build CU basketball was a good one and it worked.

Now that he's been successful at getting us into the higher revenue Pac-12 and rounding up large donors that CU has never had before, he's in a position to implement the same plan for football. I'm willing to give him one chance to be successful with it.

If he fails, I'll support a new AD and within a few years I'll think about Mike Bohn as little as I think about Dick Tharp.

You seem to be filled with anger for him, HotRack. I'm sure you have your reasons, but I've never seen you this bitter.

My problem is that GB has been gone 7 years. If things he is critical of have changed, is he aware of it? I don't know. Shouldn't BJ have gone back to Bohn and ask for clarification on issues GB was critical of? Don't shoot GB here. BJ is the one who screwed CU.

Can we please stop with the Bohn screwed Barnett or that Barnett hates CU. I don't believe either is true. Barnett didn't perform. After Bienemy and GB got into it and EB left recruiting went downhill fast. As RN players left everything went downhill fast. It was a poor ADMIN when GB took over and GB didn't handle the media or the admin well. It was the fault of a lot of people including GB. Bohn let him go because there was a scandal, we were mediocre at best in a pathetic division and GB had really fumbled the perception piece. I haven't heard GB say anything negative that wasn't true since he left. I did not like GB as a coach and couldn't stand Klatt as a mediocre QB who thought he was great. Bohn absolutely made the right call on GB and it would have been made sooner at other schools with stronger departments and funding. GB though has stayed a class act about the Buffs since leaving. I am sure he did not tell BJ not to take the job. I also think we will be glad we didn't get BJ in a few years. just a hunch.

Agree, Matador.

I do not think Barnett would tell any interested coach information that wasn't true. He did spend a great deal of time at the University of Colorado, both as an assistant coach and as head coach. He knows first hand about the inner workings of the athletic department. I do not believe he would attempt to sabotage a potential coaching hire. I think Barnett still considers the CU job to be a good job - but acknowledges that there are inherent challenges which come with the job.

Agree, Matador.

I do not think Barnett would tell any interested coach information that wasn't true. He did spend a great deal of time at the University of Colorado, both as an assistant coach and as head coach. He knows first hand about the inner workings of the athletic department. I do not believe he would attempt to sabotage a potential coaching hire. I think Barnett still considers the CU job to be a good job - but acknowledges that there are inherent challenges which come with the job.
I agree with both of you. My point is that I think, as a way outsider, that some of the things GB would be, rightly, critical of, like lack of admin support, are being addressed finally. GB would not, likely, be totally aware of the shift that appears to be happening.

I agree with both of you. My point is that I think, as a way outsider, that some of the things GB would be, rightly, critical of, like lack of admin support, are being addressed finally. GB would not, likely, be totally aware of the shift that appears to be happening.

You are probably right about that. A lot may have changed since Barnett was fired. Certainly Barnett has not been "inside" the football program since his termination. And Bohn had only been the AD for 6 months when he fired Barnett. Chances are Barnett doesn't really know that much about Mike Bohn or his athletic department.

However, Barnett can certainly speak to his own experiences at Colorado.

Well, GB did that interview last week where he "recommended" that the AD bring in some former AD/HC types at big programs to be consultants and make recommendations as to what to change.

Problem: as we heard about 4-6 weeks ago, CU has already done this.

His knowledge about the current situation is minimal, and he is definitely not aware of changes; as long as he prefaces his comments to other potential coaches with "I last coached there 7 years ago, a lot may have changed - don't assume what I say is true, but if it were me, I would definitely ask about these things."

And I'd assume/hope that any potential HC candidate that speaks with GB understands that it's been 7 years since he was employed at CU. And I'd hope that the HC candidate would circle back with Bohn and bring up the difficulties & shortcomings that GB mentions and see what has changed or what commitments for change would be coming.

So we're on the "if you didn't play, you have no say" track again.

Listen - there's rancor among CU ALUMS, DONORS, and FANS because they see a group of people with obvious axes to grind running a scorched earth campaign to take down one guy. If you don't see it that way, fine. But a lot of us do. Now, I don't think anyone has ever said that everyone who has played or coached is on the "wrong side". There is a very small, very loud segment that is acting in a way that is hurting the image of the football program, the AD, and the University as a whole, both short-term and perhaps long.

I don't see any reason to not speak out about the way these people are acting. There's no reason to sit on our hands and bow our heads and say, "oh he played, he can say anything he wants, and I should just swallow my opinion". That's bull****. Especially when you, I, and everyone else can see that there is a very obvious reason for their actions, and it doesn't necessarily align with legitimate concerns about the long-term health of the program and AD as much as it aligns with short-term anger about their perception of how certain people were treated.

Did I ever say that? Former players are an important part of any program. It is like family - my brother may be prick but I am the only one allowed to say that. You start attacking these guys and then other former players going to stand up for their teammates and coaches even if they don't agree with them. It is in their DNA to stand up for their teammates. I said that Bohn needs to mend fences otherwise things are going to be bad. If Bohn had any forward thinking he would do that - things are not going to be pretty on the field for the next two year and he does not need them to be constantly criticizing them.

Haven't you ever had to deal with a disgruntled client maybe even irate? Invalidating their feelings is the worst thing you can do even if they are totally wrong.

My problem is that GB has been gone 7 years. If things he is critical of have changed, is he aware of it? I don't know. Shouldn't BJ have gone back to Bohn and ask for clarification on issues GB was critical of? Don't shoot GB here. BJ is the one who screwed CU.

I think we pretty much know now that it wouldn't have mattered if BJ went back to Bohn and got clarification on anything Barnett might have said. He turned us down because Tennessee showed up with more money. Barnett could have told him that Boulder was a field of gold where unicorns played and the administration farted gold dust and he still wouldn't have come here....

If Barnett did change Jones mind, he likely did the program a favor. Wonder if Gary wants to come back and coach CU?

If Barnett did change Jones mind, he likely did the program a favor. Wonder if Gary wants to come back and coach CU?
Bobby Pesavento is out there pushing for just this. Mac and Goodman had him on. They said it was Hoffman who fired him, not Bohn, and that he and Bohn get along well. Ain't going to happen.

This Barnett/Neuweasel stuff is insane and ain't happening. GB didn't change Butch's mind, it was all the cash UT threw at him. Butchster played the game perfectly and doubled his salary and ended up with a nice food cart as a lovely parting gift. Remember, football coaches are on the same ethical level as used car salesmen, bull**** reigns supreme.

Should we dig up Fred Folsom?

Yeah. Let's sue his ass. That will make this situation much less of a mess.

Butch was looking for greener pastures. Let's just move on.

Certainly not advocating that, just stating its a bad ideal to bad mouth fmr employers who paid you to leave.

Anyway this is a moot point - Barney or anyone else had nothin to do with him passing on the gig

Butch Jones didn't come to CU because Tennessee was probably making backdoor inquiries about the time he came to Boulder. Barnett didn't tell him anything that made him run away....he ran away to Tennessee

Back