What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who is our biggest rival?

Who is CU's biggest rival?

• Nebraska

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • CSU

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • Utah

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • We don't have one right now

Votes: 75 61.0%

• Total voters
By this reasoning, dII Danny is our rival.

The return to prominence was at stake, and he sure as hell cost us something.

Right now who do we dislike more more that the Bozo from Boise?

He cost us our dignity. We aren't just happy to see him gone we still wish him bad luck.

Sounds like what is normally reserved for a rival but we don't have a school that has that standing with us right now.

As many have already said, rivalries need two elements to develop:
1. You have to play them pretty much every year.
2. Something other than "bragging rights" needs to be on the line most of the time.

CSU does not, and never will, fulfill #2.

One of the many reasons why NU was definitely our biggest rival is because for the 14 game/year stretch from 1989 to 2002, for 12 of those years/games - the winner of the CU/NU game was the conference champion (or division champion for the B12 years). And for 6 of those 14 years, the game had a direct impact on a national championship run for at least one, and sometimes both, of the teams. Throw in their treatment of the Sal tragedy, Dr. Tom personally costing us an undivided championship, heartwrenching losses in 94, 99 and 2000, and the joy of the 2001 beatdown. Now that's a ****ing rivalry.

I don't see a similar run ever happening between us and any team in the PAC other than U$C. They are our target, our measuring stick. When we are competing with them every year; when a loss to us ends a title run for them - and vice-versa - it will be a rivalry. Until then, we'll play against the other teams, and we may even develop small "rivalries" with them, but they aren't who we are gunning for. They aren't the standard by which we'll measure ourselves.

No, they are not our rival now.

But they will be.

We don't have 'The' rival - an frankly I don't think we ever will...unless somehow, someway we battle Utah for supremacy in the Pac12 for a decade or so.

To have a 'Rival' I think the biggest factor becomes, are the two rivals recognized by outsiders as being equal to one another competitively over time, and more logically tied to one another than any other opponents. Michigan v. Ohio State and Alabama v. Auburn come to mind. They are pairs that are on the same level of competition, are close enough that their fans will live near, work with, and inevitably interact with regularly.

So for us we can have conference rivals - (I personally see UCLA and Cal as the most fitting) but acknowledge that any schools other than Utah will always have more bitter rivals than CU when they are asked.
We can have historical rivals - NubU and NotreDumb
...and while I hate to admit it, we will always have the sheep....
Until they have fallen so far that we can walk into a Garts, or a Kohls, or even a Target and not see one stupid green and pee t-shirt we must beat them down as we should any aspiring rival. I do believe there is something to be said for being bigger than the rivalry they try to push on us. It requires making the contests in which we compete such perennial wood shed affairs that they get tired of playing, and it requires not stooping to their level when we have to attend their administration of humility in Denver. Go to the game, tailgate with fellow Buffs, don't engage, don't fight - just watch it as if it was UTEP or some other non-conference cream puff (not that any non-conference opponent can be considered a cream puff yet). As for the team - they will need to have this one on the radar as long as the series continues - CSU will always be gunning for the Buffs.

I do hope that in 10-15 years we have become 'hated' in the south - with key victories against the remaining 4 programs to crush whatever aspiration they each had before playing us, and of course by that time we had better be 'in-the-mix' year over year for conference championships. USC and UCLA are going to be targeted, but to consider them rivalries before we have done anything to set them back seems premature. Hopefully by that point Utah will have become our new CSU and CSU will have become our new UNC. UNC in turn will have risen having been once led by Tad - and will be a fitting and competitive 'Rival' for the lambies.

We don't have 'The' rival - an frankly I don't think we ever will...unless somehow, someway we battle Utah for supremacy in the Pac12 for a decade or so.

To have a 'Rival' I think the biggest factor becomes, are the two rivals recognized by outsiders as being equal to one another competitively over time, and more logically tied to one another than any other opponents. Michigan v. Ohio State and Alabama v. Auburn come to mind. They are pairs that are on the same level of competition, are close enough that their fans will live near, work with, and inevitably interact with regularly.

So for us we can have conference rivals - (I personally see UCLA and Cal as the most fitting) but acknowledge that any schools other than Utah will always have more bitter rivals than CU when they are asked.
We can have historical rivals - NubU and NotreDumb
...and while I hate to admit it, we will always have the sheep....
Until they have fallen so far that we can walk into a Garts, or a Kohls, or even a Target and not see one stupid green and pee t-shirt we must beat them down as we should any aspiring rival. I do believe there is something to be said for being bigger than the rivalry they try to push on us. It requires making the contests in which we compete such perennial wood shed affairs that they get tired of playing, and it requires not stooping to their level when we have to attend their administration of humility in Denver. Go to the game, tailgate with fellow Buffs, don't engage, don't fight - just watch it as if it was UTEP or some other non-conference cream puff (not that any non-conference opponent can be considered a cream puff yet). As for the team - they will need to have this one on the radar as long as the series continues - CSU will always be gunning for the Buffs.

I do hope that in 10-15 years we have become 'hated' in the south - with key victories against the remaining 4 programs to crush whatever aspiration they each had before playing us, and of course by that time we had better be 'in-the-mix' year over year for conference championships. USC and UCLA are going to be targeted, but to consider them rivalries before we have done anything to set them back seems premature. Hopefully by that point Utah will have become our new CSU and CSU will have become our new UNC. UNC in turn will have risen having been once led by Tad - and will be a fitting and competitive 'Rival' for the lambies.

Agree with this. It's very possible that we may never again have a clear-cut 'the' rival. I don't doubt that we'll have heated matchups and intense games with UCLA, ASU or USC in upcoming years/decades, but I just don't really see any of those forming into an intense rivalry that both fanbases are avidly marking their calendars for in the preseason in anticipation of a heated rivalry game. Schools like UCLA already have about 4 longtime rivals. We simply aren't in a geographic location that allows us much opportunity for rivalries, and obviously CU/CSU is way more along the lines of Arkansas/Arkansas State or Alabama/Troy State than it is Clemson/South Carolina or Florida/Florida State. Baring a drastic unforeseen change with Utah, I just don't see a true heated rivalry forming with the others, although we'll obviously have meaningful matchups at times.

What we all actualy hope for is that we can become good enough for long enough that we don't have to look for a rival, our opponents target us as being where they want to be.

Problem solved. . . .

CVille, I think time will change the intensity of the CU vs yoots games. Some of this will be a result of what the conference has done already, putting us in the south with them and pairing us as bball travel partners. And since they're closest to us geographically, I can see this happening sometime down the road.

As of right now, the answer is no one. The old rivalries of the Big 8, et al, are in the rear view mirror and no one in our present conference generates the total despise effect, yet. csewe hates us but most Buff fans could care less about the lammies. That leaves no one in particular.

In time, tho......

For some of our youngest fans, they may see it that way.

I'm not a younger fan and I still voted CSU. Only because we don't play NU anymore and don't have the time put in yet for the Utes. So the closest thing to a rivalry right now is CSU but this will only be temporary. I guess I could have voted for "we don't have one" but I can recognize that CSU is a rival of ours on a certain level.

I imagine before too long it will change to Utah or one of the other PAC12 schools. It takes time.

It's CSU whether we care to admit it or not. We play them every year in just about every sport.

I should add that it's a sh*tty rivalry. Very one-sided and completely irrelevant on a national scale. The games have no bearing on any conference title. The football games are held in a soul crushing gulag.

Suck it, CSU! I'm very comfortable hating UCLA.

Easily its CSU since most of you guys continue to make threads about CSU's facilities, stadium, QBs, etc. If they didn't matter nobody wouldn't post anything about them.

I say CSU.

Historically speaking, UU is a rival considering we have played their football program over 50 times with a fairly even series record between the two schools, but with today's younger generations, it doesn't feel like a rival. Give it some time though, it may be revived again. FWIW, I'm already looking forward to that game much more so than the lambs.

Right now, it's CSU, folks.

When we start to win some meaningful games against our conference mates, we will see some candidates. Utah hates us right now, we really cost them last season. USC and UCLA would be great rivals if we can get our ****e together and compete with them year in, year out.

Nebraska could be our rival again, but we'd have to play them consistently, which they won't do.

I HATE nu!!! but, they really do not even matter to us anymore. I voted csu just because they are in-state and until we beat them soundly year in and year out that is a rival in my book. We should easily beat this team every year and have our back ups on the field by half time....until this happens consistently, with all the local media coverage and state bragging rights? they should not even want to play us? should make usc our (red letter game) that is how we were able to start competing in the BIG 8/12 with ou and nu... start a rival game against the best in conference team

Last edited:
With NU I would think about that game all year. Hoping we would beat them. kNowing that we would beat them! Heart broken after we lost. Through the roof after we won. That feeling would last weeks. Maybe even years (1990, 2001, hell even 2007.)

With CSU I feel like it is a prostate exam. (Sports authority at Mile high is the finger.) Best case scenario, you are uncomfortable for a bit and get the news that you were hoping to hear. You feel good for the day but after that the good feeling goes away and you go on with your life.

I don't have the same reaction to any team the way I felt about NU. I think Utah could develop that role but it isn't even close atm.

With NU I would think about that game all year. Hoping we would beat them. kNowing that we would beat them! Heart broken after we lost. Through the roof after we won. That feeling would last weeks. Maybe even years (1990, 2001, hell even 2007.)

With CSU I feel like it is a prostate exam. (Sports authority at Mile high is the finger.) Best case scenario, you are uncomfortable for a bit and get the news that you were hoping to hear. You feel good for the day but after that the good feeling goes away and you go on with your life.

I don't have the same reaction to any team the way I felt about NU. I think Utah could develop that role but it isn't even close atm.

I couldn't agree more. I'm glad we play the Rams early so we can get the damn game over with.

the correct answer really is "ourselves" but i chose the fuskers because hating them is still better than hating no one at all.

the p12 team i most want to see our Buffs rip off their heads and then skull **** their dead corpses (metaphorically, of course) would be the trojans... the reason 62-36 will always be so sweet is that our collective hatred for the fuskers was unleashed in full fury in such an overwhelmingly awesome way. i await an equivalent destruction of usc somewhere down the road which shocks them to the core of their beings. crying song girls and traveller tits up on the sideline will replace the crying kid in our glorious revelry.

I just want to beat the f**k out of Arizona every year. All my in laws (except wifey - CU alum) have some sort of tie to 'Zona, therefore we need to own them in every sport every year. Rival? Probably not, just want to ****ing mudhole them every year.

I just want to beat the f**k out of Arizona every year. All my in laws (except wifey - CU alum) have some sort of tie to 'Zona, therefore we need to own them in every sport every year. Rival? Probably not, just want to ****ing mudhole them every year.

My sister and her husband are both Zona folks, so I'm right there with you.

This year, we beat them in football and I got a disinterested reaction followed by a "wait 'til basketball season". Then, we took 2/3 in hoops and bragging rights reached a whole nother level.

My sister and her husband are both Zona folks, so I'm right there with you.

This year, we beat them in football and I got a disinterested reaction followed by a "wait 'til basketball season". Then, we took 2/3 in hoops and bragging rights reached a whole nother level.

Yeah - my brother-in-law (Evergreen HS grad), despite going to NMSU gave me some **** this year anytime the Buffs played 'Zona as both FIL and MIL went there. But it was always hilarious when he turned on them when CU beat them in FB and then the 2/3 in basketball. Pissed off FIL since I wouldn't shut up and his son kept giving him **** too. :lol:

Forgot to add, when MIL showed up for a visit, the twins started talking smack and it started to reach a fever pitch that I had to shut them down (to the point of getting wicked with grandma.) Now when they went after her second husband (another ****ing 'Zona grad), I didn't stop them.

For CSU not being one of your "Rivals" you guys sure do spend a lot of time talking about, making specialized chants, and special sh*t talk T-shirts about CSU.

Last time I checked you don't do that for someone who isn't a rival. Say what you want, but your actions speak louder than words on a message board

For CSU not being one of your "Rivals" you guys sure do spend a lot of time talking about, making specialized chants, and special sh*t talk T-shirts about CSU.

Last time I checked you don't do that for someone who isn't a rival. Say what you want, but your actions speak louder than words on a message board

Our relationship as "rivals" with CSU is similar to how it used to be between CU and the nubs. We understand how you all feel and take it as a compliment but honestly we have bigger fish to worry about. Don't flatter yourself and think CSU is the team we emulate and aim to beat every year or our season is ruined. We just want to beat you to make you all shut up for another year.

Back