What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who is your choice for the next CU head coach?

1. Hoke turned around two programs as a HC.
2. Hoke has more coaching experience at the BCS level.
3. Hoke has ties to the West coast at San Diego State and formerly at Oregon State.
4. Hoke has hired a good staff at San Diego State.

You're just hating on calhoun cause' he's right down I-25 :smile2:

1. McCartney or Bienemy
2. Cabral
3. Belotti
4. BCS Conference Coordinator (Venebles, guys at Wisconsin, etc.)
5. Small college guys (Hoke, Al Golden, Calhoon)

I think a guy like Hoke is the guy that has the least amount of risk. He's proven it with a different set of coordinators at Ball St and SDSU. Both teams improved a lot and he had them better than they should have been. Would get CU back to top 25.

Way too much stock being put into Hawkins being from a non-BCS school. College football is college football. Hawk didn't build a program and probably didn't have much to do with Koetter building it and given what Peterson has done since he left, probably didn't have a lot to do with their success while he was there.

Lesson learned. Might want to ask some questions and have a critical eye to the above this time around. Hoke has gotten it done big time at two different junkyards of college football. Give him the budget to hire top coordinators and I'm sure he will get it done here.

With that said, a bunch of other guys could get it done too like Calhoun.

Proven winners like Richt and Bellotti are no brainers.

Mac is a no-brainer, but for his age.

EB may be the best hire of all. Could take us to a NC game in fact. Or he could be a bust. Way too much risk imo. Does the Ath Dept want a home run or respectability? Are they content to get back to top 25 and start making some money, or do they want to return to 1990? EB is probably the cheapest way to test the NC goal imo. Big risk, but there's a potential much higher reward.

1. Hoke turned around two programs as a HC.
2. Hoke has more coaching experience at the BCS level.
3. Hoke has ties to the West coast at San Diego State and formerly at Oregon State.
4. Hoke has hired a good staff at San Diego State.

I would be wary of saying he truned two programs around Ball St. has been pretty awful since Nate Davis left (2008: 12-2 2009: 2-10) and I think the word is still out with SDSU this is their first good year in a long time. Calhoun inherited a poor DeBerry team and has posted 8-9 win seasons.

stint in Michigan as D-Line coach there is good BCS experience.

Oregon St. was terrible when he was there (1989-1994) so his two years at SDSU are really his stronger connections. Other than that his resume suggests he is more a midwest guy.

I have no clue who his assistants are but will he be able to bring them or will his top guy stay behind to be the HC at SDSU (maybe I am jaded by the last hire)

Take the coaching job that the AFA has done the last several years under Calhoun, pair it with good to mediocre talent, and I think we'd have had a very good team at CU this year. Some risk with that. AFA has different mindset. Recruiting would be slightly different I concede. But the guy is a very good football coach, no denying. In the end, good football coaches always succeed.

Good recruiters usually fill the cabinets for the next guy (ala Callahan for Pelini). I bring that up because I don't think Pelini would have had this success following Solich. Their talent was way down and I don't think Bo has that sort of personality to go SELL. But a few years later, he came back and he had a lot of good 4 & 5 star athletes who played horrible under Callahan. He pretty quickly ran off the slackers and shaped them into a very good football team. With that success (and NFL draft guys to use as bait), he can now recruit just fine. A totally different situation.

CU has some talent, certainly more than in awhile. But we are not loaded by any means. A guy like EB or the combo of Mac/EB could really load the system with talent. If EB turned out to be "all recruit, no coach" (which is the risk imo), then I think we would still be better off. That would be another painful 3-4 years but we would love National Signing day for a few years. I like the upside this scenario gives us the more I think about it. I'm not convinced EB has the experience necessary, but he'd get some studs. Sort of like when New-Weisel left Gary Barnett a bunch of NFL guys. Slick would never have won anything here, but GB could.

Hoke's assistants are Rocky Long (former NM coach) on defense and long time coordinator Al Borges (he of Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Auburn) etc. These two old geezers have forgotten more about coordinating than Helfrich and Kiesau have learned about it to date.

Begs the question once again, WHY was Hawk in this situation with first-time offensive coordinators? Why?

Hoke's assistants are Rocky Long (former NM coach) on defense and long time coordinator Al Borges (he of Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Auburn) etc. These two old geezers have forgotten more about coordinating than Helfrich and Kiesau have learned about it to date.

Begs the question once again, WHY was Hawk in this situation with first-time offensive coordinators? Why?

"I dont know what you are talking about"

20100603__04dcsbiw_200.jpg

Trivia:

The Walrus, Troy Calhoun and Troy Palamalu all attended high school in the same sparsely populated county in Oregon.

I would be wary of saying he truned two programs around Ball St. has been pretty awful since Nate Davis left (2008: 12-2 2009: 2-10) and I think the word is still out with SDSU this is their first good year in a long time. Calhoun inherited a poor DeBerry team and has posted 8-9 win seasons.

stint in Michigan as D-Line coach there is good BCS experience.

Oregon St. was terrible when he was there (1989-1994) so his two years at SDSU are really his stronger connections. Other than that his resume suggests he is more a midwest guy.

I have no clue who his assistants are but will he be able to bring them or will his top guy stay behind to be the HC at SDSU (maybe I am jaded by the last hire)

He took Ball State to two bowls. That is two out of the five in their entire history. That is pretty impressive to me. He has also turned around SDSU, they are on track for their first bowl game since 1998. The guy can turn around programs in different parts of the country with different staffs. That is good coaching IMO.

As far as his staff at SDSU, his two coordinators both have experience at the BCS level. He could bring over at least one, which is a good start to a staff.

As far as recruiting, he actually has elite prospects considering SDSU. He had 4* QB Tyler Bray last year until Tennessee came calling. He had a 4* DL, Mustafa Jalil, committed for a while until Cal came calling.

I'm warming up to Hoke, but would like to explore the possibilties of Bear Bryant further.

He could drink with recruits, which is a plus if recruits want to party. He would drink them under the table though, which could lead to problems.

I'm warming up to Hoke, but would like to explore the possibilties of Bear Bryant further.

I'm thinking Woody Hayes. You want to change the soft atmosphere that hawk left? Tell me you wouldn't like to see our head coach woody lay some ram out or trojan...

I'm thinking Woody Hayes. You want to change the soft atmosphere that hawk left? Tell me you wouldn't like to see our head coach woody lay some ram out or trojan...

Really, you're just gonna ignore the easy "beaver" joke in all that?

IMO by hiring a big-name coach CU can generate the kind of buzz that will bring in a big-time recruiting class next year to get the ball rolling. If this program is going to turn around we MUST -- absolutely MUST -- bring in a very high quality class in 2012. The best way to do that is to make a hire that is going to catch peoples' attention.

IMO by hiring a big-name coach CU can generate the kind of buzz that will bring in a big-time recruiting class next year to get the ball rolling. If this program is going to turn around we MUST -- absolutely MUST -- bring in a very high quality class in 2012. The best way to do that is to make a hire that is going to catch peoples' attention.
I'm thinking the same thing. Right now, if it was today, Bellotti would be the choice. Would you support that?

The 2012 class is the foundation for the future. It is going to be a big class (probably 25+), so you are absolutely correct. It will all come down to the assistants the next coach can hire. It better be a big part of the conversation in the hiring process.

I really like the Bellotti idea, only concern is will he be truly invested in the program? If it does not work immediatly will he just bail back to the ESPN cameras or stick it out? If he is completly in then why wait!

I'm thinking the same thing. Right now, if it was today, Bellotti would be the choice. Would you support that?

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I would prefer EB to any realistic alternatives at this point, but Bellotti has had success in the P10. Can he do it without Nike money, from a recruiting standpoint? How are his X's and O's? Honestly, I don't know all that much about him.

That being said, I would much prefer a Bellotti to a Calhoun.

Whats not to like about Bellotti? I mean hes no Calhoun in the hair department but still.....
IMO Bellotti underachieved with his UO squads. Will all that Nike cash, and great talent on those teams, only going to one BCS Bowl game during his entire tenure is a little bit of a letdown. There's no reason UO shouldn't have been on the same level as USC in the Pac while Bellotti was their coach.

Unleash Hell in 5...4...3...

IMO Bellotti underachieved with his UO squads. Will all that Nike cash, and great talent on those teams, only going to one BCS Bowl game during his entire tenure is a little bit of a letdown. There's no reason UO shouldn't have been on the same level as USC in the Pac while Bellotti was their coach.

Unleash Hell in 5...4...3...

When did the Nike cash really start kicking in?

We need Nike like donor. Okay, who's in charge of the sweat pants that say "sexy" and "pink" on the butt? Maybe the timberland president? Maybe walrus can persuade the president of SUPERCUTS to start the cash flow rolling?

Back